Dh may need a wheelchair.....

mickey12810

Mouseketeer
I cannot believe this has happened. :sad2: DH just called from work (UPS) and said that he possible broke his ankle stepping off a 4" step. We are arriving on Monday March 14th. If he is going to need a wheel chair what is the best way to arrange for this? TIA

Well come to find out, there are free wheelchairs available at the resorts on a first-come-first-serve basis. Are you staying on property?
I had to use one last year (and probably again this year), and we paid each day we were at the parks, and got one Disney Dollar back every day on the wheelchair's return. Check out the disabilities board for more info. It isn't as bad as it might seem though.

How awful! Good luck. Hopefully it is a sprain. Either way, it will be hard if not impossible to do much walking.

Do they still let families go to the front of the lines at the parks if a family member is in a wheelchair? I seem to remember this from 3 years ago.

Are you staying onsite? If so maybe you could have a note placed on your reservation stating that you are in need of a wheelchair. May not be a guarantee that you will get one; but at least they would be aware of your situation.

My DH throw out his back on our last trip. Of course it was the day we moved resorts. While AKL didn't have a wheel chair availabe the first day one did become available the next day. It was ours to use for the remainder of our stay there. We were able to take it out to the parks without having to pay the rental fees at the park. They give you a lock for the wheels.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Jodi

Yes we are staying at POR. Thank you for the link. some of the posts made me laugh. But one that really touched my heart was the one about the woman who could not hold her husband's hand while in Disney . :sad2: But I should consider myself real lucky that this is only a temporary situation unlike others. I did not realize how frustrating it is for some who would look forward to walking miles around Disney. What a real eye opener. Do I have to wait till I get there and check in or can I arrange for one before we get there?

Jodi, I posted before I got to read your post. Thank you I will call and have the request attached to my reservation.

If you can fit it into the budget, your hubby's freedom might be regained this trip by renting an ECV, or "scooter." My Mom has mobility problems and hated being in a wheelchair (even though I was always happy to burn the extra meals by pushing her!) and now she rents a scooter. If you get one for the whole trip, they deliver it to your resort and pick it up on the day you check out. It's a little less per day than getting one at the parks from Mickey (those are $40). Mom rents from Walker Medical in Orlando. You can get the number from Disney reservations, and I know there are two other companies that also rent them. She has had great success with the scooters and really appreciates being able to be a "park commando" again!

Just had a thought. They might give you a handicap accessible room if you make the request ahead of time. Depending on your viewpoint that maybe good or bad. So make sure you let them know if that is acceptable to you or not. You may wish to ask for a first floor room or to be near the elevators.

Like all requests there is no guarantees; but it might be worth at least inquiring or noting on your reservation. The resorts only have a certain number of wheelchairs; and you are making them aware of your need ahead of time.

Good Luck! I hope I didn't give you bad advise!

Jodi

Sorry to hear about the accident.
Here is a link to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
There you will find information about the different ways of getting a wheelchair, including getting one lent by your resort, renting at the parks, or from one of the off-site medical equipment companies. The FAQs also includes somme of the pros and cons of getting one in all the different ways.
The wheelchairs from the resorts can't be reserved ahead of time, they are first come, first served. Some people have had good luck with them, but others have found that there were none available when they arrived (as one of the posters on this thread found) or the wheelchair that was available didn't meet their needs (extra wide when they needed regular, or vice versa). If you do decide to try for a resort one, it is a good idea to take the contact information along for one of the off-site rental places, in case you need it.

There are 2 types of handicapped rooms. The first type have raised seat toiles and tubs with grab bars. Other than that, those rooms are the same as a regular room. You can arrange for a shower chair if needed.
The other type of handicapped room is fully wheelchair accessible. It has grab bars and a raised seat toilet, usually has a lower bed, higher power outlets and light switches you can reach from a wheelchair. Those rooms also have roll-under sinks and a shower that a shower wheelchair can roll into. Thistype of room would probably not be a good choice for you. The shower has only a curtain and if the shower head is not aimed quite right, the floor can get wet and slippery.

ECVs are rented in the parks (first come, first served), but no guarantee that one will be availble when you arrive or if you park hop. Power wheelchairs different than ecvs; they are driven with a joystick (or other access device for people who need other access) and are more difficult to drive than ecvs. They are only rented by the off-site companies; and only to people who already have a power wheelchair, but didn't want to travel with it.

Most of the lines are wheelchair accessible (they call this Mainstream Lines) and people using wheelchairs or ecvs, for the most part, wait in line with everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter