• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diabetes and no PS's?

Stimpy

<font color=red>Is a WONDERFUL Mommy! The TF says
I am currently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. Since it was discovered very early in pregnancy(4 weeks), I'm worried that maybe I had diabetes before the pregnancy and it was undiagnosed. After the baby is born I may still have it.

We went on DCL 3 days after I was diagnosed and I was miserable the whole trip at meal times. I controlled it with dietery changes then and am currently taking insulin injections 4 times a day. Sorry to babble!

Anyway! Is it possible to have a good diabetic friendly meal at WDW without calling ahead to make PS's? We usually go at uncrowded times and don't really like to make PS and instead like to "go with the flow". Can I walk into any full service restaurant and ask them for low carb/no (low) sugar things? Do I have to call ahead so they can prepare something special for me? Thanks for your help!

If you have the knowledge of your needs you can make an acceptible meal anytime anywhere. I can't even see why you had problems on DCL except for desserts. I was able to get everything I needed on the cruise with absolutely no problems.
As a diabetic you diet is totally in your hands although it sometimes means removing the bread on a burger, or leaving something that isn't on your diet at the moment.
Btw, diabetics can eat anything they want in moderation. It is all portion control.
Be aware that diabetic desserts at WDW and DCL are made with nutrasweet for the most part.

Thanks for the info. Especially about the nutrasweet since both Equal and Sweet & Low makes me extremely sick. Splenda is ok in small doses. Since it's gestational, I do have a list of things I am not allowed to have at all, even in moderation.

I think DCL was hard for me since I was so recently diagnosed. I had a crash course in blood testing and diet 3 days before we left. I was and still am on a low carb, low calorie (1500 cal/day) diet. It was really difficult watching DH, DS and our tablemates eating those delicious desserts. I think cruising would be easier now that I am a little more used to the diet, testing and injections.

My diabetes educator has told me that if I am still diabetic after the baby comes, the diet will probably not be as restrictive and I won't have to keep my sugars down as low. (currently I have to keep them under 120)

Thanks again! :D

Stimpy I keep mine under 120 on a regular basis. Helps keep the complications down. I have been diabetic for over 25 years now and it started out as so called gestational diabetes. I know you are being very careful now you are pregnant. Went through 3 pregnancies (one miscarried for reasons other than diabetes) and got 2 beautiful daughters. First one was a real problem as we did not know I was diabetic until I wound up in the hospital with preeclampsia. Second daughter was a breeze. Neither have any signs of diabetes so far, but are cautious about weight and are tested regularly for it.

Oh remember that you can still nurse if you wish and that will tend to keep your blood sugars lowered. You will have to stay on insulin while nursing if your blood sugars are not in a good range. None of the oral T2 drugs are proven safe in nursing so far.

You should always be able to find something to eat, but if you give Disney the chance, they can knock your socks off. :) I've read many reports from people with any number of dietary restrictions, and they all say that the chefs will bend over backwards to make you something awesome. Call ~ 2 or 3 days in advance to let them know you're coming and what your needs are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter