Diabetics!! DH just recieved Cont BG monitor!!

Nicholfamily5

Mouseketeer
I can't TELL you how excited we are!
My DH is T1, diagnosed at age 9 (he's 31 now) and has been on the pump for almost 10 years. He recently just switched back to the Paradigm after trying the OmniPod wireless.

He recently had insurance approve and PAY FOR!!!!! the Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring system from Mini Med.
He hasn't been able to use it yet, as there are warnings all OVER the boxes and paperwork to not use until the educator comes to the house to teach about it.

For those interested, the sensor itself is pretty small!!! maybe about the diameter of a quarter (or smaller) and doesn't rise up much higher than the typical site set. I WAS surprised to see that the sensors need to be refridgerated. They must be very sensitive. It makes me wonder how they will do down in the FLorida heat.
The package also came with a charger for the sensor...not sure how that one works just yet.
Anyway, I know this isn't a ton of info, but I just wanted to share that insurance companies are starting to roll these out, and it looks EXTREMELY promising!!!

I'll share our experiances with it once he gets up and running.

There is a great Yahoo CGMS support group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetescgms/

William isn't on one yet but we would love to get a CGMS. What insurance do you have that paid for it?

We just got back from the Children With Diabetes Conference in Orlando and all of the presentations I saw that talked about CGMS were extremely positive (although there are drawbacks to both types that are out on the market). It seems that most people are amazed at some highs and lows they never knew about (at least in their kids - not sure about adults).

There are lots of people blogging about their use of the CGMS too. Looking forward to the updates!

We have Harvard Pilgrim.
He did have to get a letter from the doctor explaining that the device will be a real asset to helping control his diabetes. He's a brittle diabetic, so he has wild highs and crazy lows in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, it means I as his wife has to treat it like he's a child sometimes, and carry around tabs and whatnot for when he goes low!
I'm not being derogatory either. His body has adapted to the lows so well that he can be talking to you plain as day and test at a 25!!!! It continually amazes me.

I really can't wait for him to try it out. I'm hoping it will help relieve ME!!! from nagging him about doing tests and treating lows. :lmao:

Keep an eye out for my trip report when we get back. I'm going to focus quite a bit on doing Disney with a diabetic on the pump and CBGM.

My DH has one of those, it is great! I can walk over to him and press a button and see what his BG is. It has little alarms to tell you if you are getting too high or too low. I think his is set for 50 as a low, but if he gets that "Low Blood Sugar" face I can see what it really is. You do have to calibrate with a regular BG meter when you change it, but it really is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter