Didn't anyone wonder???

I was away for a week in Philly with my sister, and I only had my phone so I wasn't on the boards. I knew what was going on before I left. I have to say, I was a bit anxious that the forum wouldn't be here when I returned.

I returned on Saturday the 5th and have been lurking, reading every thread on the subject and trying to take it all in. I'm a pretty shock-proof person, but to say I was shocked is an understatement. Of course I don't know PW, but whenever I watched the show on YouTube I thought I had a pretty good handle on him-sarcastic, not one to suffer fools gladly, etc. I didn't mind his attitude at the time. Knowing what I know now makes me sick.

I also thought he was loaded, money-wise. Never gave it a second thought. Now I know it was all a facade, all of it.

I've had to make a decision about whether or not to leave the forums. I enjoy the Community Board, the serious threads *and* the silly ones. I have decided to stay on, for now. So long as PW is being divested of his stake in the boards and the company, I think it can work out-if changes are made for the better. I don't think it's supporting something horrific to want to stay here with my friends, especially the ones who have been rocked by the revelations and need a bit of support, even if it's only a friendly emoji at the bottom of their posts.

I feel a bit weird going back to 'business as usual' though. Just commenting lightly on silly things seems strange to me in this new upside-down forum. I'm not a lurker by nature; I'm too mouthy for that. :rolleyes: I'll give it a try to see if I can get past the feeling.

It certainly has all hit the fan, eh?:(

The travel always made sense, since he did own a travel agency. They have better rates and can consider most trips as business expenses. This doesn't make the travel free, but it makes it way more attainable than it is to the average person.

What did seem suspicious is the clothing he started wearing over the last year. Some of those t-shirts retail for over $1000. If you own one or two of those that's one thing, but every week he seemed to have a new expensive outfit.

I was away for a week in Philly with my sister, and I only had my phone so I wasn't on the boards. I knew what was going on before I left. I have to say, I was a bit anxious that the forum wouldn't be here when I returned.

I returned on Saturday the 5th and have been lurking, reading every thread on the subject and trying to take it all in. I'm a pretty shock-proof person, but to say I was shocked is an understatement. Of course I don't know PW, but whenever I watched the show on YouTube I thought I had a pretty good handle on him-sarcastic, not one to suffer fools gladly, etc. I didn't mind his attitude at the time. Knowing what I know now makes me sick.

I also thought he was loaded, money-wise. Never gave it a second thought. Now I know it was all a facade, all of it.

I've had to make a decision about whether or not to leave the forums. I enjoy the Community Board, the serious threads *and* the silly ones. I have decided to stay on, for now. So long as PW is being divested of his stake in the boards and the company, I think it can work out-if changes are made for the better. I don't think it's supporting something horrific to want to stay here with my friends, especially the ones who have been rocked by the revelations and need a bit of support, even if it's only a friendly emoji at the bottom of their posts.

I feel a bit weird going back to 'business as usual' though. Just commenting lightly on silly things seems strange to me in this new upside-down forum. I'm not a lurker by nature; I'm too mouthy for that. :rolleyes: I'll give it a try to see if I can get past the feeling.

It certainly has all hit the fan, eh?:(

Glad you're staying for now BlueStarryHat. I think I came in a few days after "it" hit the fan and I was like...."What is happening!!" Took me awhile to catch up and had to go over to that other board to really get the story. And totally agree that I thought that person was wealthy. That part honestly makes me chuckle....what he a fool he was on that front. It's right out of the "millionaire next door".....the person in the slightly run down house with an older car is much more likely to be a multimillionaire......than the guy with the biggest mouth, jewelry, tacky (but apparently expensive?) shirts who takes a dozen or more pricey trips a year (and not all covered by DUT). The latter's book title would be...."The Fast Path to a Negative Net Worth."

my only comment is if I lived in FL, a short drive to two major ports, had no kids, could get FL resident rates and or industry rates, I'd be
cruising every month myself. Some people drive expensive cars, some people take expensive vacations.. all a priority.

my only comment is if I lived in FL, a short drive to two major ports, had no kids, could get FL resident rates and or industry rates, I'd be
cruising every month myself. Some people drive expensive cars, some people take expensive vacations.. all a priority.

Right, totally valid, but you'll presumably do all of that without running up nearly 900K in credit card debt that you allegedly ran up fraudulently and have absolutely no means to pay it back. ;).

My thoughts as well. Owning DVC and an annual pass spreads all of your Disney vacations into known monthly payments, then your extra income can go towards last minute cruise deals.

Very few people had an idea of his full financial picture. Yes he spent a lot but some of the numbers mentioned elsewhere for income are incredible as well.

Kind of reminds me of professional athletes that end up broke a few years after retirement.
Exactly…

We're FL residents who live less than 30 minutes from two major cruise ports. Where can I find these amazing deals? It appears travel agents do get much better deals.

We're FL residents who live less than 30 minutes from two major cruise ports. Where can I find these amazing deals? It appears travel agents do get much better deals.
I have no doubt that they get amazing deals but an amazing deal on the type of suites that the person was sailing in regularly would still be beyond the budget of many of us. Apparently, it was likely beyond his budget as well.

Note: edited for clarity.

It was easy for me. Much as I like the Dis Unplugged content, the first time I listened to Pete I decided that was the last time.

I could tell from jump street this isn't somebody I needed to invest any time in.

I'd tune in and if he was there I'd just click off and check again next time.

I could tell right off the bat he most likely has trouble making his head fit through a doorway, narcissistic, know it all.

But I will say one thing, I believe half of what I see and none of what I hear.

I have no doubt that they get amazing deals but an amazing deal on the type of suites that the person was sailing in regularly would still be beyond the budget of many of us. Apparently, it was likely beyond his budget as well.

Note: edited for clarity.

Yes, I suppose it's beyond one's budget when they rack up nearly a million dollars in secret credit card debt in the company's name. He wasn't staying in average staterooms, he always bragged about suites, etc. He also talked frequently about taking cruises on his dime so he could honestly review them. It was often uncomfortable to hear the dichotomy of him bragging about how much he'd spent....and then someone like Craig or Ryno talking about things being out of their budget.

Offhand from memory (so please don't shoot me if I'm off):
-The first year of Moving to Orlando, Pete made 450k off of it.
-One of the site sponsors was paying 15k per month plus a 1% cut of sales.

Those are only a couple pieces of the puzzle though of course. He has overhead and other sources of revenue so who knows what he actually took home.

Over on that "other board"....Sean just posted that at its height, the DIS Boards were bringing in 60K a month. Of course, not sure when "the height" was....the zone has been flooded with content, especially in the last five years or so. And obviously there are hosting fees...etc. No idea what the YouTube shows earn with advertising. But still, there's a bunch of employees on the payroll. So I suppose that's why it's always stated the DUT is what "pays for all of this"...meaning the content on YouTube...etc.

The YouTube stuff and I suppose the DIS to some point are essentially "in house marketing" for DUT....and seems like they offset some/most (?) of the cost to employees....but maybe not all? I'm trying to think about all of this from a business prospective. And obviously I don't want this to happen as I enjoy the boards, but I wonder if John and the silent partner haven't mulled over just letting the DIS Boards and YouTube channel go. J&K aren't young....they're probably set financially. And I don't think the business would just roll over. There are other diamond level Disney travel agencies out there that just do a podcast. I guess there's a fair amount of people who frequent the boards and you tube channels who do find them that way....and become repeat customers.

Another major factor....after the hit of buying the individual out, the two remaining owners obviously get a larger cut of profits. Hopefully they're not on the hook for some/part of that epic AMEX bill.

The other factor that no one seems to be mentioning is that if that Amex card was used for non work-related things, and especially for gambling, then that's felony theft, and with now over $1M owed due to interest, it's no minor crime. However, given their personal histories, pressing criminal charges is likely an emotionally very difficult thing for the remaining partners to decide to do. Whether or not it happens eventually remains to be seen. (FWIW, the penalty for 1st degree felony embezzlement in Florida is a $10K fine and up to 30 yrs in prison.)

Companies are allowed to write off funds lost through embezzlement, and it's entirely possible that someone was counting on that being all that would happen; and that again, all else would be grudgingly forgiven. If so, it looks like that gamble was also lost, and this appears to be the final straw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter