Differences between ABD river cruise and non-ABD river cruise?

*pixie*

DIS Veteran
We are starting to look into a Rhine River cruise. Our first ABD experience will be in September for the Southern California trip. Other than the ABD guides, are there any other differences if one were to book directly through AMA for a “regular” River cruise?

Well, definitely, the main difference is the Adventure Guides.

Beyond that, I don't believe AmaWaterways offers the same excursions that ABD does. There may be some overlap, but I've never looked at AmaWaterways' excursions.

Also, if you are traveling with kids, the Adventure Guides do dinner with them, and lead some activities. I don't believe you'd have that without ABD.

All your gratuities are paid on the ABD.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Sayhello

Well, definitely, the main difference is the Adventure Guides.

Beyond that, I don't believe AmaWaterways offers the same excursions that ABD does. There may be some overlap, but I've never looked at AmaWaterways' excursions.

Also, if you are traveling with kids, the Adventure Guides do dinner with them, and lead some activities. I don't believe you'd have that without ABD.

All your gratuities are paid on the ABD.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Sayhello
Ok! No kids on this trip, just DH and I. Sounds like maybe I’ll have a better idea after our first ABD experience with the guides. Thanks for your help!

I have had this debate with myself many times - I haven't booked with either ABD or Ama yet, but have researched both. As sayhello noted, there are ABD Guides onboard with the ABD - it will be more geared toward families with children. I have a friend who did the Rhine through ABD and most of her remarks are about how amazing the Ama service was. She also spoke to many staff onboard who say they don't really see children on the regular Ama cruises - in other words, the age demographic goes way up. Personally, if I were traveling with children, I would do the ABD. Adults-only, I would be tempted to book directly with Ama as they are the ones who are really providing all the basic services - accommodations, excursions, food, etc. I would just compare the itineraries and the excursions offered to make sure you are happy with the itinerary you will book. We actually booked the Rhine through ABD pre-covid because we were supposed to do a D23 cruise with a lot of extra Disney elements - that was canceled unfortunately, but I would probably just go with Ama unless they offer another special cruise like the D23 one they had planned.

I have had this debate with myself many times - I haven't booked with either ABD or Ama yet, but have researched both. As sayhello noted, there are ABD Guides onboard with the ABD - it will be more geared toward families with children. I have a friend who did the Rhine through ABD and most of her remarks are about how amazing the Ama service was. She also spoke to many staff onboard who say they don't really see children on the regular Ama cruises - in other words, the age demographic goes way up. Personally, if I were traveling with children, I would do the ABD. Adults-only, I would be tempted to book directly with Ama as they are the ones who are really providing all the basic services - accommodations, excursions, food, etc. I would just compare the itineraries and the excursions offered to make sure you are happy with the itinerary you will book. We actually booked the Rhine through ABD pre-covid because we were supposed to do a D23 cruise with a lot of extra Disney elements - that was canceled unfortunately, but I would probably just go with Ama unless they offer another special cruise like the D23 one they had planned.
Thank you so much, that was super helpful! I appreciate the reminder that this wouldn’t be like a Disney cruise with all the Disney elements that we love.

I just got back from an ABD Rhine cruise, and this very topic came up a few times with some of the fellow adventures on the ship.

I'll start by saying that the boat and Ama crew were all great. The food was very good.

What I think that Disney brought to the table was the following:

1. The adventure guides. They are great and really know how to lead things, get the group excited, take care of people, etc.

2. For the Rhine - they only do the north bound route, as that is more advantageous and allows better excursions, etc.

3. Better excursions. And more of them, I believe.

4. More families, so more energy and more family focused things (like trivia night, bingo night, etc.). I mean, without it, the average age of river cruisers is quite high.

5. According to the Ama staff, the food was somewhat different on the ABD cruises than their regular ones. They were accommodating to allergies and things that kids like to eat.

6. The tips were included (which can be huge on a cruise). We did tip a few of the wait staff who had been helpful to us (and our allergy issues). But that was extra and not expected.

We also had a lot of multi-generational family groups on our cruise. Then a lot of families like ours (parents and their younger kids). And then some couples without kids, at both ends of the spectrum (like a couple that got engaged on the trip and some older empty nester couples who could have fit in well on a Viking trip but picked ABD instead).

I just got back from an ABD Rhine cruise, and this very topic came up a few times with some of the fellow adventures on the ship.

I'll start by saying that the boat and Ama crew were all great. The food was very good.

What I think that Disney brought to the table was the following:

1. The adventure guides. They are great and really know how to lead things, get the group excited, take care of people, etc.

2. For the Rhine - they only do the north bound route, as that is more advantageous and allows better excursions, etc.

3. Better excursions. And more of them, I believe.

4. More families, so more energy and more family focused things (like trivia night, bingo night, etc.). I mean, without it, the average age of river cruisers is quite high.

5. According to the Ama staff, the food was somewhat different on the ABD cruises than their regular ones. They were accommodating to allergies and things that kids like to eat.

6. The tips were included (which can be huge on a cruise). We did tip a few of the wait staff who had been helpful to us (and our allergy issues). But that was extra and not expected.

We also had a lot of multi-generational family groups on our cruise. Then a lot of families like ours (parents and their younger kids). And then some couples without kids, at both ends of the spectrum (like a couple that got engaged on the trip and some older empty nester couples who could have fit in well on a Viking trip but picked ABD instead).
Thanks so much for all the detailed info!

We are disembarking in Basel, SW, in an hour from a Viking Rhine cruise. It was great. All of the other passengers I talked to were also impressed and felt they got their money's worth.

The only other European cruise we've done was an Avalon Tulip cruise last year. The Viking folks seem much more organized, and the food was better to us.

As we've not done but the two cruises, we can't compare other companies, but when we go again next year, it will be on Viking.

If you do decide to do this one, try to get the Viking Sigrun. This captain has his "stuff" together. And the Fillipino chef does too.

We did a Viking Ocean Mediterranean cruise last year and loved it (two adults in our 60’s).
This year we’re doing the AMA Christmas Markets on the Rhine in December - Amsterdam to Basel - just to try a different company, and are really looking forward to it.
I’ll let you know when we get back how it was!

On the northbound route, you are going with the flow of the river, so travel between stops is quicker. When you are going southbound, you are fighting the flow of the river and that takes longer to go from stop to stop. As such, northbound route means more time in port than the southbound route and, thus, more options for excursions.

also, apparently much easier sailing (passengers feel less motion for the boat).

My Mom and I are looking to tack on a river cruise at the end of our EBTA cruise this May and have been looking for reviews of AMAWaterways. We have read some great reviews specifically for the Magna - from what I can surmise it is the newest and largest ship of the fleet currently - and I know how DIS-ers feel about the newest and shiniest. Lol. The Certo and Dante came out pretty good followed by Bella that appeared good. We saw numerous reviews to skip Verde and Prima - very poorly rated… both in ship quality and food.

If anyone sees this and has anything to add, please advise!

Note: we looked at the Bella, Magna, Verde, Dante, Certo, and Prima specifically due to their location/itinerary when we disembark in Barcelona, but are open to other ship - just need to see how it would work into our intinerary.

Also, we are not tied to AMAWaterways for certain - just happened to be one my Mom saw and wanted me to look into. I’m guessing she saw it was likely the closest in service to DCL as a river cruise may be. I’m not certain about that last statement, so please don’t blast me!! It’s just my assumption. I’m just looking for what others have to say and their experience on AMA.

TIA!

My Mom and I are looking to tack on a river cruise at the end of our EBTA cruise this May and have been looking for reviews of AMAWaterways. We have read some great reviews specifically for the Magna - from what I can surmise it is the newest and largest ship of the fleet currently - and I know how DIS-ers feel about the newest and shiniest. Lol. The Certo and Dante came out pretty good followed by Bella that appeared good. We saw numerous reviews to skip Verde and Prima - very poorly rated… both in ship quality and food.

If anyone sees this and has anything to add, please advise!

Note: we looked at the Bella, Magna, Verde, Dante, Certo, and Prima specifically due to their location/itinerary when we disembark in Barcelona, but are open to other ship - just need to see how it would work into our intinerary.

Also, we are not tied to AMAWaterways for certain - just happened to be one my Mom saw and wanted me to look into. I’m guessing she saw it was likely the closest in service to DCL as a river cruise may be. I’m not certain about that last statement, so please don’t blast me!! It’s just my assumption. I’m just looking for what others have to say and their experience on AMA.

TIA!
AmaWaterways (with ABD) is the only river cruiseline I've sailed with, so I can't compare to others, but the service was phenomenal! Unfortunately, none of the ships you listed are ones that ABD sails on, so I can't comment on those, either.

In general, there's only so big that riverboats can get, as they can't be any taller than the lowest bridge or wider than the narrowest lock. So "the largest" is a realative number. And it really depends on what river(s) you travel on.

Plus, I think folks who take ABDs are more driven by itinerary and date than ship size, but that's just been according to my observation.

Sayhello

Cruisecritic website has a great list of stickied posts comparing river cruise lines and discussing river cruise in general. It’s definitely a good resource.

Thank you for your reply. I have looked very extensively at their reviews on Cruise Critic. I am now trying to find out if I have to go through a travel agent or travel agency in order to reserve a cabin. I will not be requiring their air or pre or post cruise stays. If you know anything about this, advice is appreciated!

The adventure guides and excursions are the main difference. The ABD will have guides to help you plan things, take photos, and arrange activities for on your own time. The ABD excursions are usually longer, more in-depth, and include meals, while the regular Ama excursions are usually shorter and don't always include meals.

The adventure guides and excursions are the main difference. The ABD will have guides to help you plan things, take photos, and arrange activities for on your own time. The ABD excursions are usually longer, more in-depth, and include meals, while the regular Ama excursions are usually shorter and don't always include meals.
We are going on a non-ABD Danube this Dec. I’ll have to compare our trip to a report from an ABD when I get back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter