Digital Member card for spouse

3 minutes. It takes 3 minutes to set up Google Pay / Apple Pay.
Why do you care? All of us have something that others would see as "irrational," worthy of a "get over it." Maybe it's important to them, just as what one might see as your insignificant irritant is important to you. Be Elsa.

He can't tolerate an app on his phone but he was okay with a card in his wallet?

Honestly, some of the husbands described in this thread seem to be exhibiting what I would consider childish behavior. They can't be bothered to participate in family vacations because they don't like Disney... But damnit they better get that 10% discount at Wetzel's Pretzels... but they can't take 30 seconds to install an app on their phone.
I was just thinking the other day that I must have missed a class on husbandry somewhere. I've missed out on 30 years of telling my wife all the things I refuse to do, or that she's going to have to do by herself. I mean sure, we have roles and responsibilities (and PLENTY of disagreements and digging in of heels), but they aren't cast in stone. I must have lost my leverage when I offered to be the one to get up at 2:00am for the overnight feeding (then was on a jobsite 5 hours later). (I was also the sucker... I mean guy who spent an hour every night making up bottles of formula when her milk didn't come in for our first child.)

Last edited:
Why do you care? All of us have something that others would see as "irrational," worthy of a "get over it." Maybe it's important to them, just as what one might see as your insignificant irritant is important to you. Be Elsa.
This is a discussion board. Debate/disagreement/discussion is the point. We could all just "be Elsa" but then it would awfully quiet around here.

I just think it's extremely silly that someone can hate Disney SO MUCH that they can't tolerate an app on their phone, but carrying a card in their wallet is A-okay.

This is a discussion board. Debate/disagreement/discussion is the point. We could all just "be Elsa" but then it would awfully quiet around here.

I just think it's extremely silly that someone can hate Disney SO MUCH that they can't tolerate an app on their phone, but carrying a card in their wallet is A-okay.
Ok.

"Why should I have to carry another card in my wallet? This is ridiculous."

What's the difference?
Maybe they should offer physical cards to those willing to pay. But physical cards don’t require you own a piece of tech - yes I know, « everybody » does…. Except some people don’t.

All you need is a hand/pocket to hold the card - tried to cover all bases just in case you suggested clothes were optional 👍🏻

Maybe they should offer physical cards to those willing to pay. But physical cards don’t require you own a piece of tech - yes I know, « everybody » does…. Except some people don’t.

All you need is a hand/pocket to hold the card - tried to cover all bases just in case you suggested clothes were optional 👍🏻
Once this is fully rolled out, any physical media you have on hand should work. Magic Band, current room key, old room key, AP card, etc.

I agree that the rollout has gone poorly.

Why should I have to use Google Pay to get a DVC member card? This is ridiculous.

Because, at this point, DVC has decided that to be eligible for discounts you must use Magic Mobile.

Of course they could have kept it as is, or gone digital a different way, but for now, it is what it is.

I am sure they are getting negative feedback from some members and maybe things will change…but, if anyone wants to be able to use them, they have to set it up.

My wife did not have a DVC log-in, but she did have a My Disney Experience account. She was unable to get the DVC-Y in her wallet.

I called Member Services, and after a 45 minute wait, she got my wife's account set up and stayed on the line until I verified that she was now DVC-Y. Took less than five minutes (once I got through).

He can't tolerate an app on his phone but he was okay with a card in his wallet?

Honestly, some of the husbands described in this thread seem to be exhibiting what I would consider childish behavior. They can't be bothered to participate in family vacations because they don't like Disney... But damnit they better get that 10% discount at Wetzel's Pretzels... but they can't take 30 seconds to install an app on their phone.
LOL, no he wasn’t really ok with a card either but I keep them in a vacation wallet. A wallet filled with cards throws off body alignment if carried in a pocket like many men do. Magic band worked better for him. Now me, I don’t like to wear anything on my hands or wrist, lol.

The point about a phone, his work pays for his phone and it’s a work tool, no personal apps and very little non work related use; and he likes to get away from using it for the few vacation days he takes. As many people do!

And the point about everybody having to have a disney account, he prefers to do business with companies that allow you to designate an account manager so he doesn’t have to spend time on details he’s not interested in spending time on. Disney should get on board with this concept IMO.

Whatever, we’ll adapt as we need to, and want to, and hopefully not too much fun gets sucked out of the experience.

Thanks cap! Thankfully My husband is not in this category. At 70+, he Likes checking wait times at the parks on his phone (after he puts his bifocals on) and has no problem checking his MDE to check to see where we’re dining and the menu. He has embraced the QR code menus at the parks and on the ships and knows exactly how to use the app on cruises to check events, and menus…lol. Just recently he started using his QR code on his Home Depot app to get his military discount. While he’s had a dvc account since day 1, he doesn’t really use it. Rarely he has used it while trying to grab a moonlight spot Along with me trying too. While I’m his tech support, I do feel fortunate that he willingly keeps up. we (meaning me) did our digital cards on day 1 and was done with both in less than 5 minutes. I also added my granddaughters annual passes to our wallet too, since I manage their accounts. 👍🏻

he prefers to do business with companies that allow you to designate an account manager so he doesn’t have to spend time on details he’s not interested in spending time on. Disney should get on board with this concept IMO.

Kinda thought we were talking about family vacations here, but ok.

Once this is fully rolled out, any physical media you have on hand should work. Magic Band, current room key, old room key, AP card, etc.

I agree that the rollout has gone poorly.

I already need to carry a wallet, so adding a physical card is no problem.

But I don’t need to carry around a phone! Except if this app is the only reason, now I need to carry my phone - which is a heavier and bulkier item than a card. Something that would be a pain to do.

it’s not 'just' adding an app - its carrying around a new item.

If I can prove I’m DVC on a magic band, or my Apple watch, then I'd be much happier. I rarely carry around a phone, but wear my watch all the time.

Last edited:
I already need to carry a wallet, so adding a physical card is no problem.

But I don’t need to carry around a phone! Except if this app is the only reason, now I need to carry my phone - which is a heavier and bulkier item than a card. Something that would be a pain to do.

it’s not 'just' adding an app - its carrying around a new item.

If I can prove I’m DVC on a magic band, or my Apple watch, then I'd me much happier. I rarely carry around a phone, but wear my watch all the time.

The apple watch works great for showing it. I used it when I was there. I just had to showed my ID as well.

I am glad the card is now digital and I will no longer have to carry an extra card in my wallet. I take my phone everywhere, always have. I use it to take photos in addition to lots of other things. Glad to know I can also get the discount with my Apple Watch as well. I don’t understand a lot of the hesitancy about the digital card. I do understand the frustration with Disney IT though.

My wife and I have been owners since 1995, both names on deed. My wife has never had a DVC logon Id, as I have always made the reservations. We ran into the same problem when adding a virtual membership card to her MDE account. We had to call member services to get the activation code that allowed her to establish a DVC account. Once that account was established, she attempted to get the membership card, while a card could be added, it did not include the DVC affiliation. We called MDE support who was unable to resolve the problem after texting for hours. MDE support suggested I ask the front desk for help when we are there next week. I agree Disney IT, is an embarrassment.

Not sure which of many threads I have read suggested this, but it worked for both my husband and myself. Please note, it is very convoluted and I am not justifying this level of crazy, but it worked for us and others.

Remove the Disney magic mobile card (or whatever it is called) from your Apple or Google wallet.
Go in your My Disney Experience account and edit your profile to remove your cell phone number
Go back in your My Disney Experience account and edit your profile to add your cell phone number
Add your magic mobile card to your Apple or Google wallet.
Your affiliations should now be there, I had to do this process twice to work, it worked the first time for my husband.

FWIW, after multiple failed attempts to set up DH properly on MDE and DVC and being told using the chat function on-line that we needed to call, we did call Member Services. I waited 15 minutes (just now) for an agent who sorted everything out. (We had MDE account mess in addition to DVC not linking for DH - all easily and happily fixed in a few minutes.) Everything is clean and easy now and we are so glad that we stopped struggling with it and just called.
This is the service for which we joined DVC - glad it's still available! 👍

Note that one possible point of confusion for us is that DVC member number is not the same as DVC ID number.
That neither of these match DVC contract number(s) is a little less confusing, but it's a lot of numbers to keep sorted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter