"Ding" You are now free to move about the country . . .

Doug7856

DIS Veteran
With special thanks to "Ding fares" from Southwest, we are planning an unplanned trip to Walt Disney World in May! For just $39 "+ taxes and security fees" each way, we're gong to Orlando from Baltimore. Thanks to the later Thursday hours, we got a studio at SSR and are now busy planning our getaway!

We've never been in May but I think we'll like it! :cool1:

Wow!! Good for you. I wish I could get those fares.

That is what it would cost me in gas to just get to an airport. :headache:

We have gone in may for the last 5yrs and will be at SSR the wk of the13th after 3 nights at VB. Its a great time of the yr to go. :goodvibes

We also jumped on the Ding rate today and got 4 round trip tickets in May for $358.00. We had tickets already, but have enough credit now that if we got the Ding rate again we could make another trip down this summer for free.

We lucked out on Christmas day and got our trip to MCO from BWI for $34 to $39 each way too.

How does the whole Ding rate thing work? I was looking for airfare in May (5th to 12) either MCO or LAX (from DTW) and can't find good fares on my normal airlines (spirit and NWA since they both have non stop flights) However for that price I think I might give SW a try (something I said I wouldn't do, never say never.) :lmao:

Just go to there web site you will see it.

DisneyPhD said:
How does the whole Ding rate thing work? I was looking for airfare in May (5th to 12) either MCO or LAX (from DTW) and can't find good fares on my normal airlines (spirit and NWA since they both have non stop flights) However for that price I think I might give SW a try (something I said I wouldn't do, never say never.) :lmao:

Wow, Southwest is our airline of choice! You'll love flying with them. You sign up for "Ding Fares" at southwest.com. Then wait for the great fares. The $34 fares are rare but not impossible to find. You generally only have about 3 to 4 hours to book them, so there is very short notice.

Doug7856 said:
Wow, Southwest is our airline of choice! You'll love flying with them. You sign up for "Ding Fares" at southwest.com. Then wait for the great fares. The $34 fares are rare but not impossible to find. You generally only have about 3 to 4 hours to book them, so there is very short notice.

I saw something about it on the website, but you had to down load software, and I wasn't that commited. SW is not a non stop flight from DTW, and a few of their policys I am not thrilled about. But heck, we had an almost 5 hour delay from Spirit a few weeks ago with out as much as "we are sorry" and I am not too loyal to them anymore. For that rate I guess I could deal with a stop. ;) (the best otherwise right now with Spirit and NWA is around 250 per person round trip, x 3 or 4 depending if we get the baby a seat.)

Southwest is terrific. I especially love the Ding fares. We flew $66.00 round trip from Indy to Orlando in December. We flew $81.50 in September, and our April/May trip will be $97.10 round trip. The best part about Southwest, is if you need to change a flight, you have no $50 change fee and you can use the funds within a year for another flight on Southwest.

My oldest brother is a minister and the day before our family was supposed to fly out in September, he had to change his flight because of a funeral he had to help with. When he contacted Southwest with the circumstances, they got him on a flight the next day at no extra charge. The airline with a heart :lovestruc

I also jumped on a ding rate from Providence to MCO this week for May. :cool1:

I had to adjust my dates and my resort but it got me an extra day in WDW :banana:

I prefer to fly out of Boston but getting a flight NS for a family of 4 for $49 dollars each way is nothing to complain about!

I had actually got the flight for $45 one way and $49 the other but I made a mistake with my dates and by the time I called back to cancel the flight, it had gone up $5 for my departure! You really do need to be quick!

The customer service for SW when I called to cancel was awesome.

Also dinged this week for May. $34 one way, $38 the other from Philly. I felt like the lady with the anniversary cake on TV. We dropped everything we were doing in a mad scramble to beat the 8:00 pm deadline. Pulled it off with a minute to spare. :woohoo:

Doug -
I'm so jealous. When I saw that DING come out I knew somebody would jump on it. Alas, not us. Have fun.

Ok, I have ding fever. Someone just pm'd me about it and now we are all set to book for May to MCO

However, don't know about the baby (she will be 20 months) in the past we have not bought her a seat. For this price we are considering it.

I remember hearing somewhere if you buy a seat for an infant and the plane isn't full they will reinburce you for the ticket. Is this right?

I must be doing something wrong. I am signed up for Ding but I have yet to receive any type of notice. I did receive their e-mail today for special on flights through March 8th ($79) but nothing for $39 each way in May. Any ideas? How does it work? Do you have to be on your computer for a pop up of some type? Any help is appreciated!

I signed up for the DING today too. I downloaded the program, but is there supposed to be something on my desktop?

How do I know when I am dinged?

Teach me!!! :teacher:

Southwest Ding is great and when speaking with their employees - it is just great. I love how they are so helpful and don't mind taking their time and talking and helping you.

A lot like Disney people.

The rest of the world could learn a lot from these companys.

My Ding icon is at the bottom of my screen next to all my virus control icons and network connection bars. It is orange and red and changes when a new Ding fare is announced. Hope that helps!

We didn't end up booking the flight last night. We just weren't ready (turns out my friends schdule won't work with DH's.)

However I plan to keep looking and if I get a ding for that price again we might do it. :cool1:

Thanks for the info on it. I haven't signed up yet, but I plan to today. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter