Dining plan changes 2020

I’m curious how it will be priced, it’s still 2 meals a day as opposed to the 3 on the other plan.. I do like the flexibility of being able to use the credits as I wish/need though. It certainly is interesting!
I have to admit I like the look of this plan as well

Doesn't look like it includes dessert...so maybe 2 TS, but just entree and drink. If you don't have a sweet tooth, that may be the way to go.

I don't think there is any official confirmation on this yet, unless I missed it. No one knows for sure at this point what is included and what is not.

Unless someone has a link to an official Disney site with info, I'll hold off on my choices until I can do more research on whether or not this works for us or not on our next trip.

I do think it's pretty strange that they would plan to roll this out in the next few days and not preview it ahead of time, or let TAs know what's going to happen.

Just my two cents....

EDITED TO ADD: We have had many trip where we did the regular DDP and a couple where we did Deluxe We have ALWAYS saved money using the plan vs what we would have spent without it, but I did a TON of research ahead of time running the numbers and planning carefully. No one know if a Plan is right for their own trip without running the numbers. Everyone has different needs, and every trip is different. Do the math, and make sure what is right for you.

Last edited:
We did the dining plan once paid, once free with bounce back. At the end of both trips we had so many quick serve and snack credits left we ended up bringing tons of snacks home and threw half in the trash. We like to "Snack" at places like The Boat House, Crew's Cup lounge etc. and eat the bar. We usually do a sit down daily but somehow couldn't use all the credits. I can't imagine how someone could do the deluxe plan! we just aren't that hungry while at WDW. And though the flexibility of this new plan is tempting, we will stick to just paying for each meal unless we can get free dining AND a room discount.
LOL that's what we did. At the end of our trip we just used all our snack vouchers on prepackaged candies/cookies from the hotel store and took them home. I think my son ended up handing out most of them to his classmates at school. Just bring an extra suitcase. :teleport:

This is interesting. I'd like to keep an eye on this. I have a trip in a month and upgrading it may be an interesting option.

I understand some people like the dining plan, but I guess I don't understand why. I like to educate people to just buy what you need and not be locked into a pre-paid plan. You should RARELY ever be at a disadvantage for not buying the dining plan -- especially this one where you probably will pay $100/day and you end up wasting half of it .. because all you wanted was a bowl at Satuli Canteen and a burger/fries at RainForest cafe.

Even at "Disney" prices -- it is hard to spend $100/day/person unless you are buying a lot of alcohol, and going to 2 table service meals (buffets) a day.. and that is a LOT of food.

What this new dining plan WILL do though? Allow Disney to raise the cash prices of all their restaurants to make this feel like more of a deal.

That is me. I'm a solo traveller mostly (rundisney weekends) and when I run the numbers unless I work hard to make sure I maximize the dining plan it just doesn't seem worth it. I like to just eat when I feel like it and not feel like I'm losing money ifI don't do eat now at this kind of restaurant. If I'm having a day at MK I'd almost rather just hop by tortuga's grab something quick and get back in line for my next ride once I get hungry.

I've always had the opinion that the main advantage of dining plan wasn't saving money but budgeting. Kinda like the cruise model. You know what you are paying upfront and if taking a familiy of 4 I can absolutely see where knowing your costs going in is a good thing. I have had trips especially doing drinking around the world where I look at the magicband bill on the last day and go "nah.. I didn't spend that much" then look at it and go "oh yeah I did". Of course there is no drinking around the world dining plan....

Only way to beat the dining plan. It to order your alcoholic drink and the most expensive thing on the menu . Every meal

It really is. The couple of times we did the DDP we would always make sure to order drink, most expensive app, most expensive main, and Dessert. You do that the plan will pay for itself with that one meal. BUT..... its so hard to do that everytime. Way too much food.

We eat at a lot of TS restaurants including Sigs and have never found the Dining plan is beneficial for us when we do a long staycation weekend. Now, it became even less impressive once we grabbed TIW, which changed the whole game for us and is a must for Passholders who like to eat and drink. Im not sold that the dining plan or even free dining ( because then they get you on the rack rate for the room) is really worth it when you look at what you would order, pay, etc on your own.

Here's what I got back from my TA today when I inquired about upgrading our current DDP which is on a Room Only Basic Package (I have an AP and don't need tickets):

"It is the same as the other packages. It does not come with the tickets. So now there are (4) Dining Plans to Choose From. (Costs are per person per night).
QS - $55/$25.99
TS - $78/$30.50
PL - 94.60/$35.01(New Plan)
DX - $118.99/$47.50

So if you want it you would have to upgrade from the current plan you have now. So it will cost $16.60 per night to go up to this plan. The only thing that I feel would be an advantage is that if you wanted to do (2) signature dining since you have the extra table credits. Since you can use them as you like."

So it looks like its an additional plan rather than replacement for DDP, and FULL PACKAGE is not necessary. For us, it comes down to the questions of 1) would it be cost effective for us to do addition 2TS signature meals and then split a few out of pocket QS meals, and 2) do we want to invest the time into more TS meals.

To answer those, and other questions that may come up for us, I need to go back to my cunning master plan and run numbers again. Luckily, I LOVE the planning part of a Disney Trip!!!

Your mileage may vary for each family/party/trip, so there is no one "right" answer here. :)

I ran the numbers for my upcoming trip and it's an extra $400 or so. I'm doing a lot of character meals and HDDR. The only difference is I'll get an extra sit down meal some days. It's enticing I think, but we'll see. Not sure if I'll see saving but I'll have additional experiences that I wouldn't mind doing.

I ran the numbers for my upcoming trip and it's an extra $400 or so. I'm doing a lot of character meals and HDDR. The only difference is I'll get an extra sit down meal some days. It's enticing I think, but we'll see. Not sure if I'll see saving but I'll have additional experiences that I wouldn't mind doing.
I agree. We often get so entangled in the cost of stuff, we sometimes forget that there are other factors in the decision.... sometimes it's worth the additional $$ if there are other benefits that make it worthwhile.

I agree. We often get so entangled in the cost of stuff, we sometimes forget that there are other factors in the decision.... sometimes it's worth the additional $$ if there are other benefits that make it worthwhile.

That's my main point to getting the DDP. I'll drop the $400 now knowing that I'll be able to take my 3 young kids to 2-3 more character meals instead of making a frugal decision not to do it when I go there otherwise.

That's my main point to getting the DDP. I'll drop the $400 now knowing that I'll be able to take my 3 young kids to 2-3 more character meals instead of making a frugal decision not to do it when I go there otherwise.

In terms of value it definitely makes sense. The QS meals are cheap enough where paying OOP makes sense. The problem with scheduling a 2nd meal per day is the time away from the parks and doing the other things.

I say go for it and try to do Breakfast/Dinner and then a signature or two to gobble up the credits.

In terms of value it definitely makes sense. The QS meals are cheap enough where paying OOP makes sense. The problem with scheduling a 2nd meal per day is the time away from the parks and doing the other things.

I say go for it and try to do Breakfast/Dinner and then a signature or two to gobble up the credits.

This will be our third trip scheduling things this way, so it's no surprise. We enjoy sitting down an eating a meal.

Ignore the double Chef Mickey's on Friday. I can see us adding a Skipper's Canteen on Friday, Sabastians on Tuesday and maybe a meal at Hollywood Studios on one day. Might make things worth it.

View attachment 477260

This will be our third trip scheduling things this way, so it's no surprise. We enjoy sitting down an eating a meal.

Ignore the double Chef Mickey's on Friday. I can see us adding a Skipper's Canteen on Friday, Sabastians on Tuesday and maybe a meal at Hollywood Studios on one day. Might make things worth it.
Is this a custom excel spreadsheet or some sort of third party software?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter