Dining Plan OOP clarification Please!!

Somebody posting here said "if you want use credits to treat a friend or a stranger, you can" (or something like that). Just want to emphasize that it is NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. Technically, the DDP is non-transferrable and there are CMs who will hold you to the number of people you have on your card, no matter how many credits you have left.

Back at the end of May, I posted a thread about my experience at the Yachstman Steakhouse that got a lot of responses. The gist of it was that my party on my DVC room (2 bedroom) was 3 adults and 1 child. We had saved up our credits to eat the Yachstman on our last night (2 credits each). We also invited my friend to dine with us on that evening (she was not on the dining plan), so our party was 4 adults and 1 child for eating purposes. We had had no problem at other places with our friend eating with us (sometimes on the DP - most often for CS, and sometimes OOP), but when the bill came at the Yachtman, even though we had enough credits to use for everyone, the manager REFUSED to allow us to use more credits than stated on our room (3 adults, 1 child). It was a very late dinner and my son (age 3) had already eaten and did not eat at the restaurant, and the manager basically accused us of wrongdoing by trying to use "child's credits" to pay for the 4th adult. His argument did not make logical sense because even if we were using child's credits for my son's meal, he still supposedly would have denied us the use of credits for someone not on the room card, and also, he had no way of knowing where we had already used so-called "child's credits" or whether my son's were already used up (or, on the flip side, whether all 10 of our remaining credits were "child's credits"!) Even though that manager made the issue about the number of people on the room, I believe that his real issue was that people were trying to use child's credits to pay for adult meals in "his restaurant."

When I posted here, the consensus was that the DDP is non-transferable, so be careful when trying to treat a guest who is not registered to your room. I don't think it would be noticed at CS, but at TS some places might balk. I really don't understand why it makes a difference to Disney who eats the food, as they have your money (free dining excluded, obviously), but..... that's the rule as I understand it. Whether it is enforced is another matter.

I might do the OOP thing for a couple of ds's meals. Can you do it at buffets too? I think I remember that you can't do it at Character meals. Whatever. We're also planning to share with ds4 at some of the ts meals that aren't buffets - with 2 apps, mains and deserts, we can all eat like kings.

We'll have to see how it goes. I don't think Disney cares too much or they would change the policy. I know this has been debated to DEATH here lots of times before but that's my .02. I simply can't imagine that the genius marketing team at Disney didn't think of every possible loophole and determine that they would still make a killing on the plan, which I'm sure they are. And if you pay oOP, they're making even more money b/c that's an extra 10 bucks or whatever that they have, and the food likely cost them 3 bucks to make.

:firefight :firefight :firefight

Beth :)

KristineN said:
that would make me crazy...one place saying fine, and then another restaurant giving me a hard time...I can't decide if I should try it...I hate to gt all annoyed on vacation!

We are going in Oct and made an ADR for Flying Fish one night. We are 3 Adults/2 children (my oldest will be 10). I thought about paying oop for some of my younger kids meals to have the extra credits for Flying Fish, but decided against it. It just seems too confusing and I would not want to deal with a CM or manager like the one at Yachtsman saying it can't be done and ruining the whole plan. :teeth:

We decided to pay oop for our entire family at Cape May Cafe's clam bake the first night and use our DDE card. That way we will ALL have the extra credits for Flying Fish. We are also paying oop for 2 ts lunches and several breakfasts. For us, it just seems easier.

JLS said:
Somebody posting here said "if you want use credits to treat a friend or a stranger, you can" (or something like that). Just want to emphasize that it is NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. Technically, the DDP is non-transferrable and there are CMs who will hold you to the number of people you have on your card, no matter how many credits you have left.

Back at the end of May, I posted a thread about my experience at the Yachstman Steakhouse that got a lot of responses. The gist of it was that my party on my DVC room (2 bedroom) was 3 adults and 1 child. We had saved up our credits to eat the Yachstman on our last night (2 credits each). We also invited my friend to dine with us on that evening (she was not on the dining plan), so our party was 4 adults and 1 child for eating purposes. We had had no problem at other places with our friend eating with us (sometimes on the DP - most often for CS, and sometimes OOP), but when the bill came at the Yachtman, even though we had enough credits to use for everyone, the manager REFUSED to allow us to use more credits than stated on our room (3 adults, 1 child). It was a very late dinner and my son (age 3) had already eaten and did not eat at the restaurant, and the manager basically accused us of wrongdoing by trying to use "child's credits" to pay for the 4th adult. His argument did not make logical sense because even if we were using child's credits for my son's meal, he still supposedly would have denied us the use of credits for someone not on the room card, and also, he had no way of knowing where we had already used so-called "child's credits" or whether my son's were already used up (or, on the flip side, whether all 10 of our remaining credits were "child's credits"!) Even though that manager made the issue about the number of people on the room, I believe that his real issue was that people were trying to use child's credits to pay for adult meals in "his restaurant."

When I posted here, the consensus was that the DDP is non-transferable, so be careful when trying to treat a guest who is not registered to your room. I don't think it would be noticed at CS, but at TS some places might balk. I really don't understand why it makes a difference to Disney who eats the food, as they have your money (free dining excluded, obviously), but..... that's the rule as I understand it. Whether it is enforced is another matter.

Something like this would put a damper on my whole vacation. That's why I don't plan to pay oop for kids meals and save credits. It just doesn't seem worth the risk of a hassle. I understand your situation was treating an adult on the plan and slightly different. No one is meeting us at Disney, so that is not an issue. :)

I went last August and paid OOP for lots of my kids meals and used the credits to pay for their more expensive TS meals. I also purchased adult cs meals for them, and had no problems. We plan on doing the same thing this August. This year one of my kids is considered an adult though.

Could someone answer this question for me?? When we go in August there are a couple of days where my ds and dh will be golfing and/or doing their own thing for meals and my two dd's and I will be going to some character meals. So, our credits will not be even. The last day we are all going to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, but we will be one credit short. What happens then?? If we can't pay out of pocket for someone, do we loose all the credits and have to pay out of pocket for all?? Thanks!

tyandbash said:
Could someone answer this question for me?? When we go in August there are a couple of days where my ds and dh will be golfing and/or doing their own thing for meals and my two dd's and I will be going to some character meals. So, our credits will not be even. The last day we are all going to Chef Mickey's for breakfast, but we will be one credit short. What happens then?? If we can't pay out of pocket for someone, do we loose all the credits and have to pay out of pocket for all?? Thanks!

You won't lose your credits. They will let you pay OOP for the one meal TS you are missing.

Thanks!!! I thought we could, but got scared when I was reading this thread. Or actually my DH got scared, because he thought I would now be "re-planning" all of our meals again, and he can't take anymore of my planning!!lol

I plan on using all 5 T.S. each sit down restaurant about the only one I questioned was I believe LTT Family style that includes Mac & cheese and kids menu has Mac & cheese . Was told I,d have to use his credit which probably is fine as we,d end up with an extra T.S. For c.s. we plan to do some sharing as we,ll be eating big dinners and a lighter lunch will be good.

I returned today from 5 days. I have 2 kids 6 and 11. We paid oop for the 6 year old's meals at Le Celliar, Concourse steak house and 50's prime time. We then used his credits to afford an extra ts meal for the family. It was absolutely no problem and I don't feel guilty at all. Let's face it, Disney isn't going to go under because a small percentage of families have been clever enough to use the system to get a little "extra magic" out of their trip. By the way, I was looking around and did not see any other families paying oop for their little ones. i understand that those without kids under 9 are a little annoyed that they can't take advantage of this loop hole, but the trade off is not having to do all the extra work of taking care of babies and toddlers.

I just happened to be looking at the DDP pdf on disney's site and they have added a FAQ page to it. I'm not sure when they added it, but I never saw it before. Anyway one of the questions is this-
Q. Can adults use child meal entitlements?
A. Sorry, meal entitlements can not be shared between adults and children age 3-9.

I don't know if that means there may be changes coming or what. I just wanted to point this out. We are going in August and had thought about paying OOP for my ds but figured it might get confusing so we have decided against it.

2goofykids said:
I just happened to be looking at the DDP pdf on disney's site and they have added a FAQ page to it. I'm not sure when they added it, but I never saw it before. Anyway one of the questions is this-
A. Sorry, meal entitlements can not be shared between adults and children age 3-9.

I don't know if that means there may be changes coming or what. I just wanted to point this out. We are going in August and had thought about paying OOP for my ds but figured it might get confusing so we have decided against it.

I noticed that too! http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...gespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/MYWDining.pdf
(refer to page 5)

So now it's no longer a question of what the “official rule” is. Adults are not allowed to use children’s credits. Simple as that.

Who can tell when Disney will change their system to better enforce this rule? When that happens, the individuals who carefully planned their ADR’s intending to use their child’s credits will be out of luck.

Be prepared :)

aristocat said:
I noticed that too! http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...gespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/MYWDining.pdf
(refer to page 5)

So now it's no longer a question of what the “official rule” is. Adults are not allowed to use children’s credits. Simple as that.

Who can tell when Disney will change their system to better enforce this rule? When that happens, the individuals who carefully planned their ADR’s intending to use their child’s credits will be out of luck.

Be prepared :)

I went to the link you posted and didn't see a page 5 but I did see these answers on Disney's FAQ page. This was my experience at the beginning of June. I really think that if you just go into it with good intentions and not out to "scam" then paying OOP for a child's meal or two to save for a signature dining experience then it's not a big deal. I really think that people are not utilizing the dining plan fully anyway- I'd bet lots of people don't use all their table service credits- they get tired, don't bother making ADRs or whatever. Disney's making money on those folks. They are creating good will and great feelings from people who do carefully plan their meals to get the most benefit out of the plan. By separating child and adult credits, they'll either lose people to off site dining or people just won't use the plan on future trips (or not plan future trips at all! )

Q. What is included with the Disney Dining Plan?

A. The Disney Dining Plan includes one counter-service meal, one snack, and one table-service meal per person, per night of your stay for everyone in your travel party ages 3+. For example, a party of four that is staying for five nights would receive 20 counter-service meals, 20 snacks, and 20 table-service meals to use during the current trip.

Q. How does the Disney Dining Plan work?

A. Use your meals and snacks in any order and in any amount throughout your stay until your total is completed. For example, on the day of arrival your travel party of four could use four counter-service meals, and then on day two your party could use four table-service meals, four counter-service meals, and two snacks. You can continue using meals any way you like for the rest of your stay until the number of meals allotted are completed.

Present your Key to the World card to your server prior to ordering, so your server knows to charge meals to your Disney Dining Plan. Applicable taxes and gratuities are already prepaid and included. Your meal usage will be tracked electronically to your room reservation. Each time you redeem meals or snacks from your Disney Dining Plan, your server or cashier will provide you with a receipt showing your remaining balance.

LizinSTL said:
I went to the link you posted and didn't see a page 5 but I did see these answers on Disney's FAQ page.

That's odd... I clicked my link again and I still see page 5 complete with the 'new' FAQ page.

Perhaps your internet browser is not set to check for newer versions of saved pages (if you have previously viewed that PDF)? (Go "Tools" menu, "Internet options", under the general tab click "settings", and it will show what you have your browser set for). :)

LizinSTL said:
... They are creating good will and great feelings from people who do carefully plan their meals to get the most benefit out of the plan. By separating child and adult credits, they'll either lose people to off site dining or people just won't use the plan on future trips (or not plan future trips at all! )

[/I]

aristocat is right!
Here it is:

Q. Can children age 3-9 order anything off the menu?

A. No, children age 3-9 must order from a child’s menu, where available. Many child’s menus offer healthy options in addition to
kid favorites.

As far as I remember, this is what I remember reading last year when we used it for the first time.

As far as your statement above, I agree that Disney probablly is making a killing on DDP. But, that doesn't mean that it is not still great deal even when it is used properly and not abused.

I say; If people don't want to follow the rules, let them go elsewhere and make it a little easier for the rest of us to get ADR's.

The big problem we had with DDP was trying to find a CS kid's meal that actually had a hamburger available. :confused3 I mean, come on, healthy is one thing, but how do you explain to DS 4yo why you are eating a hamburger and he can't have one! :sad2:

aristocat said:
That's odd... I clicked my link again and I still see page 5 complete with the 'new' FAQ page.

Perhaps your internet browser is not set to check for newer versions of saved pages (if you have previously viewed that PDF)? (Go "Tools" menu, "Internet options", under the general tab click "settings", and it will show what you have your browser set for). :)

I was able to access it from the wdw site finally :o) I guess my browser had saved an older page. I think it's interesting that they state this on the FAQ on the ddp page, but on the FAQ on packages, it basically says that any credits can be used in any order. It's an honor system, IMO until they re-do the way they keep track of the credits. Did I break the rules by sharing an adult breakfast platter with my girls? maybe. But since more than one CM recommended that we do it that way, I don't feel guilty about it.

SFLTIGGER said:
aristocat is right!
Here it is:

Q. Can children age 3-9 order anything off the menu?

A. No, children age 3-9 must order from a child’s menu, where available. Many child’s menus offer healthy options in addition to
kid favorites.

As far as I remember, this is what I remember reading last year when we used it for the first time.

As far as your statement above, I agree that Disney probablly is making a killing on DDP. But, that doesn't mean that it is not still great deal even when it is used properly and not abused.

I say; If people don't want to follow the rules, let them go elsewhere and make it a little easier for the rest of us to get ADR's.

The big problem we had with DDP was trying to find a CS kid's meal that actually had a hamburger available. :confused3 I mean, come on, healthy is one thing, but how do you explain to DS 4yo why you are eating a hamburger and he can't have one! :sad2:

As it is currently being used, there is no way for an average guest to know how many adult meals and how many childrens meals have been used. As far as table service goes, it was easy for OUR family b/c we had 7 ts meals and we each got a meal at each one. But for CS meals? I'd have NO clue after the first day how many left were adult and how many were child.

I have said for some time this change will come. This was not due to any critism of anyone using the plan creatively. It was simply a statement of I have friends that work for Disney and that is all they are talking about. The Dining Plan, the abuse of it, the loopholes, how to change it. etc.

Change is very slow at Disney, it takes forever to get all departments involved to agree on anything. Then they test it, then they have to change the publications involved, then change the computer software involved, train the staff to the new changes. etc, etc.

So I would say that gradually you will see more and more to this effect and I feel at some point there will be some type of change to the cards.

Sammie said:
I have said for some time this change will come. This was not due to any critism of anyone using the plan creatively. It was simply a statement of I have friends that work for Disney and that is all they are talking about. The Dining Plan, the abuse of it, the loopholes, how to change it. etc.

Change is very slow at Disney, it takes forever to get all departments involved to agree on anything. Then they test it, then they have to change the publications involved, then change the computer software involved, train the staff to the new changes. etc, etc.

So I would say that gradually you will see more and more to this effect and I feel at some point there will be some type of change to the cards.

I think that the change will not affect the majority of people who enjoy the DDP. Most use the plan the way it was intended, and consider that it is well worth the money. If a CM allows an additional benefit, they consider it a little :wizard:, something like a free upgrade in a resort. A nice gift, but not something to plan on or to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter