Dining Reviews 8/20-8/25 (Counter Service Added)

msteddom

We always wait in line in California (something)
I just got back from my five day visit with free dining. I will cover table service first, then counter service.

8/20- Artists Point
I have alsways wanted to eat here and I was really looking forward to this meal. Unfortunatly I did not think it lived up to the standard of a signature restaurant. Firstoff I think the atmosphere of the room left a lot to be desired. It just did not lend itself to a fine dining experience. Oh, well on to the food: I started with the mushroom soup which was outstanding! IT is quite possibly the best soup I have ever had. Then for my entree I had the cedar plank salmon, which was nothing special. I have had some outstanding preparations of salmon, and this was not one of them. The fish had very little flavor and was dissapointing. Then for dessert I had the Coffee Two Ways, which again was nothing special, the creme brulee was good, but the bread pudding wasn't even worth eating. The service was good, but a bit slow. I was dissapointed to have to part with two TS credits on this one, but I would have been even more upset If I had had to pay the bill out of pocket.

more to come later!

8/21- Les Chefs de France
This restaurant has always been a favorite of mone and this visit did not dissapoint! It took about 15 minutes from the time I checked in to the time I was seated, but I was soon led to a table in the front room. My server was very friendly and took good care of me. I had the escargot to start which was a new experience for me. All I could taste was garlic and butter, which I enjoy, so the dish was a winner. Next was a seafood skewer consisting of salmon, sole and scallops seveved with a lobster sauce which was excellent. For dessert I had the profiteroles, which were good, but not great. I thought the pastry was a bit dry, and I just prefer the creme bule.

8/22- Brown Derby (Fantasmic Dinner PAckage)
I decided to pay out of pocket, than sacrafice two TS credits for this restaurant. For $36.99 I had my choice of appatizer, entree and dessert. Tax and gratuity were extra. Considering the prices of some of the items on the menu I thought this was an oustanding deal. I loved the look of the dining room, but it was incredibly noisy. It really detracted from what was otherwise a very nice meal. I had the crab cake as my appetizer, which was quite good, but very rich so I couldn't finish it all. Then I had the filet mignon as my entree. The meat was excellent, but I thought the flavor of the dijon potatoes was a bit strong. Then I had the double vanilla bean creme brulee for dessert. The flavor was wonderful, but the texture was odd, it was almost gritty. I am glad I tried this restaurant, and I will gladly return, but it didn't make the "must do every trip" cut.

8/23-California Grill/Citricos
My original plan for this evening was to grab a counter servce meal at Epcot before Illuminations, but I ended up not wanting to head out to a park that night. I was also still bummed about my less than stellar experience at Artist Point the other night, so I decided to go back to an old favorite, Citricos. The only reservation I could get was at 8:50, so I decided to have a drink and an appetizer at California Grill, and make a fun evening out of restaurant hopping on the monorail. I had never been to CG before, so I was looking forward to checking it out.
I arrived at the California Grill at about 6:30 and asked to sit at the bar. I was immediatly led uptairs to the restauraunt. The bar was empty, so I had my pick of seats. The bar tender was very and we chatted throughout my meal. I decided on the four cheese flatbread and a glass of wine. I spent almost an hour there just enjoying the spectacular view. I always wondered if this place would live up to the hype, and while my experience with the menu was limited the service and the atmosphere certainly did.
I spent the next few hours riding the monorail and looking around the Polynesian, but finally the time arrived for dinner at Citricos. One of the things that I niticed the last time I dined there was that my whole pary loved their appetizers, but found their entrees just okay. So I decided to make my own appetizer sampler tonight and I ordered the mushrrom ravioli and the sauteed shrimp. Both were excellent, but the sauteed shrimp was the clear winner. It has to be one of the best dishes I have ever had. Then I decided on the lemon cheescake for dessert. It was heavenly! I immensly enjoyed my evening at Citircos, the food was excellent and the service was attentive. I will return there on my next visit!

8/24 Coral Reef
I had had a quick lunch at Coral Reef several years ago, and I was looking forward to trying a full meal, but I just couldn't get a reservation. So I decided to press my luck and try to score a walk up reservation. So I arrived at Coral Reef at about 5 PM prepared to be shot down. When I enquired about a reservation the hostess apoligetically explained that she only had availability for parties of two and the seating was immediate. Well I was a party of one, and I was prepared to eat an early dinner, so I was in! Score! The first thing that struck me about the dinning room was how loud it was. I could hear entire conversations of families sitting several tables away. It was not the relaxed dining experience that I had envisioned. I was seated at a table for two right next to the tank. To get a better view I would have to have gone for a swim. Unfortuanately there was another table for two about three inches to my left. I did not enjoy the feeling that I was dining with strangers. My server was quite nice, but she had this way of sneaking up behind me that was unnerving. I had the creamy lobster soup to start, which was quite good, then the mahi mahi next, which was good but unmemorable. Then for dessert was the chocolate wave which was excellent. I thought that Coral Reef was a good value on the dining plan, but I don't think I would chose it if I were paying out of pocket.

8/25 Le Cellier
I had a phenominal lunch here a few years ago, so I was eager to repeat the experience. I arrived a few minutes early for my 12:40 reservation and was seated quickly. I was dismayed to notice that the restaurant was completely full and very loud. Very different from my quiet, relaxed meal of last time. I was then given the worst table in the restaurant. It was right in between the entrance and the exit doors to the kitchen. Anyone entering or leaving had to pass by me, and I was treated to all of the noise that the kitchen could produce. My server was very good even though she was clearly busy. I had the shrimp cocktail to start which was good, the petit fillet for my entree which was excellent and the duo of cremem brulee for dessert which was also very good. I love the food here and I will forgive my bad table location and all of the noise and return here on my next visit.

Thanks for sharing your dining reviews. The only place I've eaten at that you reviewed was Le Cellier so I enjoyed hearing about places that I've never been, but should maybe try!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the great reviews. I particularly enjoyed your CG/Citricos adventure, sounds like you had a great time! :thumbsup2

We ate at Chefs de France the same night. :wave2:

Your monorail dinner trip sounds great. We ate at CG this trip and love Citrico's as well. We'll be dining there at Christmas to celebrate our anniversary!

Thanks for the great reviews. Your CG & Citrico's night sounded great. We eat at CG on every trip. We will have to give Citrico's a try in Oct. or Dec.
:)

thanks for the reviews, although I'm a little bit worried now since we have ADRs for AP! anyway, was wondering whether you used DDP credits for your Citricos meal and whether they will let you get 2 appetizers instead of an app and an entree. there are many restaurants where I'd rather make a meal of appetizers than have an entree!

I paid out of pocket for Citricos. The total for two apps, one dessert and a cocktail was $55 including tax and tip. I wouldn't worry about AP, there really was nothing wrong with it, for some reason it just didn't "click" with me.

Melissa

Great reviews - I like the idea of having apps at one restaurant, and then dinner at another on the monorail line, particularly when you have a later ADR.

Here are the counter service reviews:

8/21: Pepper Market at CSR
I wanted to see if this restaurant was worth all of the hype, so I decided to head over to CSR for lunch. I arrived at about 1 PM and the restaurant was packed with convention attendees. I had to wait a few minutes for a table. Once I was seated I set about selecting my meal. I went with the wet burrito with chicken, an M&M cookie and a soda. The burrito was alright, it was huge, but the chicken didn't have much flavor. the cookie was quite good though. The line to check out was long,and bothof the open registers were marked, "for convention only", so I got a few dirty looks form converntioners who were scambling to get back to their meetings. There was no other register for me to go to though! Overall I think Pepper Market is a good option for those staying at CSR, but it does not merit a special trip.

8/22: Tusker House at Animal Kingdom
I love this restaurant and I was really excited to try it again. I had the salmon with fries instead of the vegetables and everything was outstanding as usual. I also had the carrot cake for desserrt and it was quite good as well. I still can't believe that slamon that good comes from a counter service restaurant.

8/23: Cantina de San Angel
This was another instance of going back to an old favorite for lunch. I ordered the wet burrito, a bottle of water and a churro. I payed out of pocket for a mararita. The burrito was very good, but the churro was so dry that I didn't eat it. Overall it was a very good meal, and I will return again.

8/24: Typhoon Tilly's at Typhoon Lagoon
When I ordered mt chicken strips and Mickey ice cream sandwich it was bright and sunny,and when I sat doen to eat it it was pouring rain. I'm sure my meal would have been good, had it not gotten completely soaked. I did enjoy the ice cream sandwich, it help up pretty well to the rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter