Dining Reviews! 9-24 to 10-01 on DDP

Frank Bullitt

Earning My Ears
OK so this is way, way late but have been pretty bizy on this end...here it goes
first of all, ADR's are a MUST if you are going to be dining when they have the free dining plan. Only one of our TS restaurants was a walk-in and that was a fluke. I saw people being turned away at just about all of the TS restaurants. Ditto especially for Character meals.
The cast:
Me (28) and Dad (50-ish)

Day 1 9/24/06
lunch
Food n' Fun Center CS
Order of Chili Cheese Fries X2 (Out of Pocket)
1 375ml of Pinot Grigo (not covered in DDP)
1 pint can of Heineken (not covered in DDP)

good stuff (although I challenge some place that can mess up something like cheese fries) and complimented our beverages.

dinner 5:00 ADR at MGM
Sci-Fi Dine In
restaurant overview: Dad loved the ambience of the place, he even knew most of the news reels and film clips. They seated us as "hitchhickers" in a car 'backseat' with another couple in the 'front seat'. I liked the general ambience, I found it very busy and the service a tad slow. But our waiter was very helpful.

appetizer: Onion Rings X2
entree:
The Reuben
BBQ Chicken Sandwich
Dessert:
Hot Fudge Sundae X2
also ordered Space Invaders `Rita on the rocks (not included in DDP)

The onion rings were a bit overcooked, or else the grease they were cooked in was overused...but nothing that ketchup can't fix. The Reuben and Chicken sandwich were good and served with an overabundance of fries. The sundae was also good. The Margaritas I found too tart, as though they put too much sour mix and not enough tequilla (sorry I'm a `rita nut)
overall I would rate the restaurant at a 8, with the ambiance at 9.5 and the food at a 7. Food nothing bad but nothing spectacular, its the details, movies and surroundings that make it nice.

Day 2 9-25
lunch
Restaurant Marrakesh TS (No ADR)
restaurant overview: Very nice decor, I like how they placed it at the back of the pavillion, so you wander through the maze of the medina to get to it. Very good atmosphere. The hostess was very nice to Dad & I, Dad (who is Franco-American) had an excellent chat in French and we were seated next to the "band" area. The Moroccan band and belly dancer were very authentic and very talented, `nuff sed.

appetizer was the Combo Appetizer w/Beef brewat (Layers of thin pastry stuffed with seasoned minced beef, fried and sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar), chicken bastilla (Baked layers of thin pastry stuffed with minced chicken and almonds, sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar) and a salad.

entrees, we each had the Chicken Couscous which was a real treat. Nice spicy chicken and steamed vegetables.
With this we had a bottle of good strong Moroccan wine (not on DDP) couldn't remember the brand but it was very good.
The Bastilla and the Brewat were very good and fresh, the salad was a bit limp but still edible the Couscous was good, and the wait staff was pleasant and attentive. A word of advice, if you like moroccan food and want the full-immersion treatment go for a 1-2pm lunch and you will catch the band and the dancer. Its as close to Casablanca as you can get. The cuisine is nice but not for the picky eaters. I would give it a 9 with 9 for the atmosphere and 8.5 for the food.

Dinner
8:00pm ADR for California Grille
Restaurant overview: A very nice chic restaurant situated on th 15th floor of the CR. Always worth the 2 DDP creds. This night it was packed because of a conference that weekend everyone and his brother was trying to get in. But we only had to wait about 20 minutes which isn't that bad. We had 2 very good waiters who waited on us (sorry I don't remember their names but they were top notch).

Appetizer:
(me) Quadruple Cheese Brick Oven Fired Flatbread
with a Bond Martini (2 parts Grey Goose, 1 part Bombay Sapphire, half a measure of Vermouth and a dash of orange bitters )
(dad) Sashimi Trio (Tuna, Salmon, Hamachi) Sushi roll with a double Black Label Bushmills, neat.

Entree:
(me) Grille Pork Tenderloin
Dad Oak-fired Beef Filet
A bottle of medium Merlot washed all this down

Dessert:
(me) Chocolate, Chocolate, Caramel
(dad) California Grill Cheese Selections
Each with a Calvados

Wow...this is the second time I have eaten there and it still is great. The atmosphere is great, they even piped in music for Wishes. The Flatbread pizza was exquisit, the Sushi was good (easy on the wasabai stuff, it sneaks up on ya) my tenderloin and his steak were perfect and the dessert rounded it off. I rarely rate things perfectly because I can always find something to gripe and the noise was a bit much but still I would rate it at a 10. It is well worth the $100 a plate or 2 DDP creds. Perfect for taking clients or your spouse/fiance(e) or significant other.

Tuesday 9/26

breakfast 7:05 am ADR for Chef Mickeys.

Restaurant Overview: One big happy party . If you are a shy, reserved person who hides in the back when the big office holiday party rolls around this ain't for you, brother. I went here for the 1st time in 16 years in 2005 and loved it. You will find yourself defying your rational adulthood and start twirling your napkin to the upbeat remix of the "Mickey Mouse Club March." Problem? Well, dad is not a morning person. He is used to getting up around 6ish for work and initially when I told him about the early morning ADR he said no problem, but...when 6:30 rolled around and the Stich-meister was shouting "WAKE UP! NO SLEEPIE!" I was ready to go full bore, but he was still not convinced. I have never seen someone who could fall asleep in the buffet line. The food was good, as good as any of those "hot buffets" you find at a Courtyard Marriot or Embassy Suites that I run across in my travels. I couldn't tell you what I ate, except that it was well-prepared, nourishing and hot. I am not a buffet gourmand and believe in the idea of "quantity, not quality" for buffet breakfasts.
The Characters were good, Mickey and Minnie were very sweet to Dad and me and the second time I went they autographed a T-shirt for my brother. Pluto was a hoot, the second time I went he did the old "pull my finger routine".
I am bias towards Chef Mickeys because we went to character meals at the contemporary back when we were kids, you either love it or hate it, I don't find to much in between. I give it a 9 because the overall atmosphere is very energetic and fun, and a 8 on the food. Don't come just for the food, if nosh is all ya need then save your DDP creds or cash for the Food & Fun Center. And if you are the least bit uptight or reserved don't come either, I saw a scholarly looking fella there tuesday morning who looked like one of the optician conventioners and looked like he wanted to crawl under his seat.

9-27, dining in Epcot

Breakfast
The Sunshine Seasons
restaurant overview:
loud and crowded, light on the decor, but clean and prompt service. And the food is a cut above fast food, so its good.

I had an egg, bacon and cheese croissanwich w/ orange juice
Dad had a breakfast platter of scrambled eggs, sausage & biscuits/gravy. Nothing spectacular, but hunger is the best sauce.
give it a 7 overall, 7.5 on food and 7 on the atmosphere. We did get in on Soarin' before so our mood was elated enough to where we could have overlooked alot.

lunch
Boulangerie Patisserie
restaurant overview:
charming but convincing replica of a charming french patisserie only complaint is (like its French counterpart) it is very small inside so it gets crowded around lunchtime. Dad found out one of the CM's there was from Calvados, Normandy, where his family is from and chatted for like 10 minutes with him. I guess it is a small world after all.
I had a ham and cheese quiche with a Kronnebourg 1664 (not on DDP)
Dad had a ham & Cheese sandwich and ordered 2 waters on the DDP
for dessert two Pain au Chocolate (chocolate croissant)
The food was nice, they actually warmed the quiche and ham and cheese sandwich for us, and the desserts were magnificent.
I would rate this at a 8.5 overall (any place that serves Vitamin K[ronnenbourg] gets my vote!), 8.5 on the food and 8.5 on the atmosphere. If you like a nice quiet place to grab a sandwich and like the French atmosphere, give it a whirl.

Dinner ADR for 7:55pm
We arrived at quarter to eight and there was a looooong line, alot of partys of 5,7,9 people; lotsa folks.
Restaurant Akershus is a replica of Castle Akershus in Oslo, Norway, and is one of the oldest castles in Norway still standing. Restaurant Akershus is a very good replica of the castle, very nicely themed. Dad and I love Norwegian cuisine, he because he's worked there for several years in the past and myself because I acquired a taste for it traveling with him.
We waited about 15 minutes to get to the podium and then another 20 minutes to be called. Interestingly enough they don't give you a beeper, when it is your time one of the charming young lady CM's hollers at the top of her lungs "Royal family of (name), party of 2, your table is ready!!" loudly enough to where the folks at the Magic Kingdom would jump. I guess if you did that all day it would make ya kinda wacky. Besides the heat probably gets to them. I mean, after all its 90 degrees out in Florida on a day where in Norway it averages around 50!!

Dad and I were seated in the arched nook next to the Koldbord. Dad and I love norwegian cuisine, so we loaded up on the peppered mackerel, salmon, herring and goat cheese.
We also ordered the Kjottkake (don't ask me how it is pronounced because 3 CM's at the place each pronounced it differently) it is a traditional dish from Norway that is like meatloaf; it is made up of beef, pork and beets or turnips, and served with steamed vegetables. It looks like salisbury steak but it tastes exquisit. We both also ordered pints of Carlsburg (not on DDP). Kim Olav was our server, he and Dad talked at great length over all things Norway. Overall very nice.
I liked Akershus the last time I went in 2005 and I was not dissapointed this time either; nice ambiance, nice decor, the servers were very friendly and the food was great. The Princesses were nice to us, we had Jasmine, Aurora, Belle and Cinderella. Every single one stopped by and visited, signed the autograph book and volunteered for Photopass (we declined; photographic evidence would probably come back to haunt us) and the "yellowshirt" character handler stopped by and made sure everyone visited. It would be nice if there was a mealtime without the princesses (and I'm not gonna lie and say I went there JUST for the food qui s'excuse, s'accuse [he who excuses himself, accuses himself) but at the same time I'm afraid it will become like CRT in terms of price and availability. I would give Akershus a 9.5 overall, food and ambiance are 9.5.

9-28

Lunch
CS at the Yorkshire County Fish Shoppe
restaurant overview: Quick counter service restaurant in the United Kingdom Pavillion. Nice, quaint and quick. Dad befriended the counterperson (he was from Belfast) and spent most of the time it took to get the fish & chips talking about Ireland.

We both had Fish & Chips with vineagar and two pints of Bass Ale (not on DDP)
The fish was nice & crunchy, a bit on the greasy side but you're not gonna order fried fish in the UK and expect it to be cholesterol friendly. All in all very good and hit the spot.

I would give it a 8.5 overall, 8.5 on the food and ambiance respectively. We did not get a chance to side in the shaded patio area because it was crowded so we made our way to the outside tables outside the Rose & Crown pub and noshed there.

Dinner
50's Prime Time Cafe
restaurant overview: Nifty Fifties decor, home-style cooking, wait staff that acts like family members. We initially went just for a coupla beers to kill some time before Fantasmic! and while we were sitting at the bar our bartender Deanna was chatting with us we asked if we could get some appetizers and she said we could even have dinner!! Heck yeah! They were turning folks back at the front door without ADRs but we snuck in and had dinner at the bar...

appetizer:
I had the fried herb cheese ( it was nice but a bit small, and the bread was a bit too crunchy [as in break a tooth hard])
Dad had the shrimp cocktail

entree:
I had the Char-grilled Pork Tenderloin, glazed with port wine and served with root vegetable hash and apple-raisin chutney (not sure what chutney izz, but it was good!) with a Heineken (not on DDP)
Dad had the Old-Fashioned Pot Roast very tender and served with mashed potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions.

dessert:
I had a Vanilla Shake (YUM!) and dad had the brownie a la mode.

Overall I would give it a 8.5 with 9 for the food (delish!) and an 8 on the atmosphere. It was a bit noisy since we were in the lounge but I was surprised to even get served!
If you miss yer mom's home cooking and don't mind being chided for keeping your elbows on the table to told to eat your veggies, have at it!

9-30

lunch
we had an early lunch at Casey's Corner at the MK.
Restaurant Overview:
Quick CS on Main Street USA, themed with early 20th century baseball stuff. The back area with bleachers facing a large screen TV get crowded so snag early lunch or eat whiles the parade goes on. Food is pretty straightfordward Hotdogs and fries. The fixin' bar makes it worth trip, you can load up with cheese on the fries, sauerkraut on the dogs, spicy pickle relish, everything a heartburn needs to get it started LOL One interesting bit is that the back area of Casey's is connected to the Atheletic Clothes Dept of Main Street Shops. A particularly cheeky duck had waddled into the eating area snapping up french fries off the floor and meandered into the clothing store. One of the patrons had said "Holy moley there's a duck in the store!" Without skipping a beat I quipped "Of course, this is DisneyWorld!"
I'd give Casey's an 8 overall.

Dinner 5:00pm ADR at Chefs Des France.
Restaurant Overview: This is a very nice french restaurant located in the French Pavillion. Very nice decor on the inside looking like a restaurant from La Belle Epoque. Lotsa brass and mirrors.

for an appetizer we both had a Cassolette d'escargots de Bourgogne au beurre persille which is casserole of burgundian snails baked in parsley and garlic butter. I know alot of folks out there are grossed out by snails but the way us "frogs" fix `em, you'd swear it was chicken! Very nice, and the garlic butter sauce was excellent. I had mine with a Kronnenbourg and Dad had a Perrier (neither on DDP)
for an entree we both had the Steak au poivre vert avec frites, basically a steak & fries very good fries though dad found his steak a bit tough. We washed it down with two carafes of red house wine.
for dessert two creme brulee and finished off with some expressos.
I would give it a 8.5, normally this one is a home run 10 but the steaks were a bit tough and that hurt it abit. The rest of the food was delicious.

Final Thoughts

ADR's are a must, especially if you are going during the "Free Dining" time. We squeezed into 50's prime time cafe on a technicality the rest were turning back all sorts of walk-ins.
Marrakesh and Akershus were welcomed surprises for me I would recommend it to anyone who like exotic food. As far as Character Breakfasts are concerned I have heard good things about the Crystal Palace but have never been, if you don't want to be charged admission then Chef Mickey's is a hoot.
A final addendum I went a second time on the last day to Akershus because I had placed an ADR for it for myself and my brother (who ended up not coming due to scheduling probs) and Dad didn't feel like running through the princess gauntlet so I went solo. I actually am glad I did it, because that way I ended the vacation on a happy note, even had the same server. I flagged down the "yellowshirt" and told her that I was really only needing Aurora's autograph (basically to tell the characters they dint need to waste on me) and they stopped by anyways. And Aurora when she did her signature kissed the page...So it was a good vacation.
Hope Y'all have fun reading the food reviews!!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter