Dining with a Toddler???

jcemom

Official Tag Fairy Assistant
Our next trip it will be just DD (then almost 3) and I. For those of you who have taken children that age, I could use some advice.

What types of meals should I plan on? I'm sure she won't eat much, and for the most part we could share, but... will it be really hard to get counter service food while watching her at the same time? Will sit-down (ordering from a menu) take too long for her? How hard is it to go to a buffet with a little one, and are some better/easier than others? I'm sure sit-down "family-style" like Liberty Tree is a "no-brainer" and I will definitely plan on that when I can but there aren't very many of those. What should I plan on for the rest of our meals? (We're not sure where we're staying yet (it will be on site though) so I'm asking mainly about inside the parks.) What recommendations can you give me? I don't care about the cost, so doing counter service if it is convenient would be fine, but if it is just for budget reasons, I'll skip it. I need to know what is easiest, most convenient, and most enjoyable for both of us!

What worked/didn't work for you?
TIA

Personally, if I was traveling alone with an almost 3 yo, I'd avoid counter service places like the plague. They can get EXTREMELY crowded and trying to gravitate the lines, and then with a tray, AND try to keep track of a small child sounds too stressful for me. I'd go to all sitdowns if I could. Will it be too long, only you can decide that one. Most sit-downs take around 45 to an hour for a meal, and some longer. I know my just turned 3 yo can handle that, but we eat out at least once a week at home, so he's used to it and it wouldn't faze him. The buffets won't be too bad, just take her with you, they don't get as crowded, and the character ones would be great and keep her entertained. I've eaten at most on-site places with my kids (with the exception of V&A and CG) and they've enjoyed them all. Their favorites are the places with the characters. They didn't "get" 50's Prime Time Cafe, so we won't be going back, Sci-Fi scared them. Rainforest Cafe at AK or DTD is a fun place and my kids love RFC. We've never been to the one of the WDW ones, because we have one here at home, but DD loves it so much we had her birthday party there last year!!! Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

IMHO it is easiest with a child that age to go to buffets. The food is immediately available, there are numerous choices and a child under 3 doesn't have to pay.

One thing to think about, almost every child's meal is a Smucker's uncrustable pb&j sandwich. Next month when we take our son again (he's 17 months now) we'll just buy a box of them and put them in a thermal cooler under in the stroller basket. That way DH can go order for us at the counter service places and I can start Jason's lunch since he's not so patient.

When we went in February we ate at all counter service just because it was easier with the stroller. The one exception was Le Cellier and he was sleeping so they let us bring the stroller to the table. That was lunch though, so if it were more crowded at dinner I'm not sure if they'd let us do that.

Have a great time! We got Jason's first haircut at the MK and it was absolutely the highlight of our trip!

I agree with Lori. Do nice sit down meals. Most WDW restaurants will pace a meal very quickly if you have little ones. Much better food and almost as fast as fast food spots. The kids meals in the nice restaurants offer way more than just uncrustables.

For me, a buffet would be the last choice if it was just me and one 3 yo. Juggling two plates and a little one at my feet....not fun.:D

Take along something to color or little bags of raisins to keep her busy until the food comes. Most restaurants will have crayons and a kids menu to color but a few don't.

Any old timers remember when little ones received a bag of Dole raisins as they were seated. That was great with a young baby or toddler.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions, I am keeping "mental notes" to be sure, lol.
Rainforest Cafe at AK or DTD is a fun place and my kids love RFC.
I hadn't even thought of RFC! I will plan to go there for sure, we don't have one near us and I happen to like it myself!
IMHO it is easiest with a child that age to go to buffets. The food is immediately available, there are numerous choices and a child under 3 doesn't have to pay.
That's what I was thinking, too, but I didn't know how difficult it would be to get DD and I and our plates back and forth, though I do it at home all the time and should be used to it, lol.
One thing to think about, almost every child's meal is a Smucker's uncrustable pb&j sandwich.
She did eat one of those last trip (she was 16 mos at the time) but I doubt this trip if I'll ever order a kids meal for her. For the most part she eats whatever I eat, so we'll just share my meal.
When we went in February we ate at all counter service just because it was easier with the stroller.
We did a mix of sit down and counter service last time and she was fine with either (at 16 mos) but I was unsure of how difficult it would be to stand in line and get our food with it being only DD and I. What do you think? Last time I had DH and my two DSs there to "help."
Have a great time! We got Jason's first haircut at the MK and it was absolutely the highlight of our trip!
I was hoping to do that too! I thought we would do it last time, but DD didn't have enough hair to cut, LOL!
For me, a buffet would be the last choice if it was just me and one 3 yo. Juggling two plates and a little one at my feet....not fun.
Yep, that's kind of what I was worried about!
Take along something to color or little bags of raisins to keep her busy until the food comes. Most restaurants will have crayons and a kids menu to color but a few don't.
Great idea, thanks! I'll be sure to do that!

We did almost all sit down dinners for our 2 year old last year. He really loves chicken fingers and that's what he ate many times. I could still have a nice dinner and he got what he wanted. They're usually pretty good about bringing something to the table to keep them occupied. (bread, etc.) I never really thought any place was too slow for him.

I like the buffets. We did Cape May Cafe, Boma and Chef Mickey's in February with my just-turned 3 year old, and I had no problem getting his plate and my plate filled (plus, he enjoyed picking out his own food). You have to put one plate down while loading up, of course, and getting a separate salad or soup bowl requires two trips, but you can pick her up and still have a free hand for those quicker trips.

The buffets are quick, and offer a picky eater (like my DS) several options incase something is 'yucky'. Plus, they're free for the under 3 crowd, which is a bonus!

I too think that sit down restaurants would be easiest. You could always ask for bread or crackers from the waiter while your waited for your food. Although Buffets have food available immediately I would be hesitant about juggling a plate and trying to keep up with a 3 year old. And definately I would stay away from counterservice.

You know your child's temperment. SOme kids will follow you and stick to you like glue as you get your plate, however, some will take off. Like my DD's (night and day) My oldest will follow directions exactly, the youngest will get into any and everything.

Have a great trip.

zippehsmom

:D

We are going next week with DS4 and DD20mo. and almost all of our PS's are buffets or "Kid Friendly". LAst time we went was in Oct. 2001 and the buffets worked best with our son. This year we are doing, Crystal Palace, Hollywood and Vine, Sci Fi, Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, Boma, 'Ohana (coconut races and Hoola Hoop contests) and Whispering Canyon (wooden horses and lincoln logs). If it were just the adults I am sure we would do it differently but while the kids are young this is the best choice for us. Good luck with your choices! I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide!

Thank you! I'm sure I'll be eating better on this trip than at any other time in my life, LOL!

I would do a mix of things and just go with the flow. I thing counter would be the hardest, but a quick hotdog if the lines are not long might be ok. I remember when DS was little he was always so much easier to keep happy when it was just him and me. With just the two of you, you will focus on her rather than another adult. Don't forget there are CM's happy to help all over the place. They will carry a tray or a plate or even grab something off the buffet for you. Best wished for an awsome trip.

Jordans' mom

I go crazy at the buffets with my kids even with another adult. I would not recommend a buffet unless you were somehow able to get a table very close to the buffet so she could stay seated while you run and fill the plates. It's just way too hard otherwise. I mean, it's good you get your food right away, but unless your little one is VERY good about standing next to you in line and not straying I wouldn't do it.

Counter service wouldn't be TOO bad if you go early or late. If there is little lines, I think that would be the best bet. I found if you go at 10:30 or 11:00 there are short lines.

Some sit down restaurants would be good, but I know my kids get really tired of sitting quickly. My younger son was 20 months when we went last time and some of the meals just were too long for him. I think good bets would be 50's Prime Time, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Kona Cafe (had LIGHTNING fast service here both times I went) and as prefiously mentioned, Rain Forest Cafe. The Teppanyaki place might also be fun for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter