Disabilities on the Disney bus

s3058

Mouseketeer
apologies if this is not the right place for this but I recently returned from a trip with a not so great experience of the bus.

I use a walking stick and I've travelled a lot, Disney is the only place I have ever been where someone hasn't offered me a seat on public transport. I've been to other places in the US, to universal even, I've been all over Europe and I've never experienced that before.

I know it's not Disneys fault but it was so off putting that I'm not sure I will return overnight. It was so difficult to stand with the stick and balance, especially after a long evening in the park.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this isn't the norm?

apologies if this is not the right place for this but I recently returned from a trip with a not so great experience of the bus.

I use a walking stick and I've travelled a lot, Disney is the only place I have ever been where someone hasn't offered me a seat on public transport. I've been to other places in the US, to universal even, I've been all over Europe and I've never experienced that before.

I know it's not Disneys fault but it was so off putting that I'm not sure I will return overnight. It was so difficult to stand with the stick and balance, especially after a long evening in the park.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this isn't the norm?

I’m sorry this happened to you. You must of been on a bus with a lot of jerks. Usually not the norm.

Actually, I'm going to say it is the norm. I'm sure that having to stand on a bus with a walking stick is hard. But...you always have the option of waiting for a second bus if you have to have a seat. I'm sure that most people don't view a 'walking stick' as showing a disability Don't get me wrong..I'm not, in any way, saying you don't have a disability. I'm merely pointing out how it would look to others.
I have seen women holding infants standing on the bus...I have gotten up and given them my seat. It's only whey I get up and offer (a 68 y/o woman), that a man will then get up and insist that I take his seat. I have seen tiny children swaying back and forth on a bus. I've seen senior citizens holding on for dear life. And yet...no one gets up and offers a seat.
Disney transportation isn't public transit. The vast majority of guests using Disney buses have never used public transit anywhere. It is always unwise to depend on others giving up their seat so you can sit. You're going to be disappointed about 75% of the time.

Honestly, I would plan on not using the buses as much as possible. Can you drive? Maybe rent a car? Use taxis to get around?

I just returned from a trip with my dad, who I knew could not stand on a moving bus. So we booked the Swan, where we could take a boat or walk to 2 parks. We also had a rental car, and used a taxi a couple of times to make things easier on dad.

I'm not trying to be mean, but the best thing to do is to be proactive. I wouldn't put my dad on a bus and expect someone to give him a seat. To me not only is that rude, but dangerous for my dad. If you want to or need to use the buses, then be prepared as best as you can be. Step aside if it looks like the bus is standing room only, and wait for the next one. Keep some cash on hand too so you can grab a quick taxi if need.

I do wish people would be a bit less self-centered.

OP- many people would not consider a walking stick a visual clue that you have a disability. A cane, crutches, wheelchair, knee scooter, or ECV are assistive devices that most people would associate with someone needing to sit on the bus/needing accommodation.

Every Disney bus has priority seating available for individuals. If there is someone with a mobility device, such as a wheelchair, some of these seats fold up so that the device can be tied down.

I would have no qualms at all about asking someone in priority seating to move whether I’m using my ECV, my rollator, or walking (though those days are gone)If they didn’t move, I’d ask the bus driver for some reinforcement.

And maxiesmom: How on earth is it rude for someone with a disability to want to use something intended for public use? I am very much a member of the public.

“Waiting for the next one?” Um. Yeah. Depending on the route, I might be waiting several hours.

I shouldn’t have to spend a dime more than someone without a disability for access to the same experience. It’s nice that you have extra resources to make it easier; many are not so fortunate.

I think it is rude for someone to assume another person needs to get up and give up their seat for them. As someone with a disability you should know that they are not all obvious. If I had had my dad on a bus you wouldn't know by looking at him that he shouldn't stand. And maybe you would have though he should have stood up.

Having said that, I do get up and offer my seat when I can. But I do believe in being proactive, as you can tell by my prior post. I believe in taking care of my family members myself, and not putting that on to total strangers.

Tell the driver that you need to sit due to a disability. They should be the one to ask somebody to move.

I drove Disney buses for 9 years. I can remember only 1 or 2 times when I had to ask a specific person to move. The rest of the times, as soon as I asked for a volunteer one or more people offered.

In my case unfortunately there was two ECVS on the bus and waiting on the next one would have been a 27 minute wait without benches. We also boarded at the middle so asking the driver wasn't an option.

I'm surprised to hear that people don't class a walking stick as a sign of a disability. Maybe it's a culture thing? I know where I'm from wheelchairs and walking sticks are given priority for seating on buses.

TBH it was late and I wasn't sure what the norm is in the states. I wouldn't bat an eyelid about asking someone in my native country (Ireland) or in any of the EU countries I've visited.

Ultimately I don't expect it from an official sense, it's more of a culture difference I guess where I take that kindness for granted in my own country.

Many view walking sticks as a fashion accessory. And they are not as common here as wheelchairs or scooters or even rollators.

It’s nice that you have extra resources to make it easier; many are not so fortunate.
This is a ridiculous thing to say. It's Disney!! Most People have to save to afford whatever level of vacation they want at Disney. Disney is not a right. Some people can never afford to go. If u need a taxi or rental car then u should put that in your budget and not go until u can afford it.

[QUOTE="SteveMouse, post: 58395830, member: 42725"

And maxiesmom: How on earth is it rude for someone with a disability to want to use something intended for public use? I am very much a member of the public.

“Waiting for the next one?” Um. Yeah. Depending on the route, I might be waiting several hours.

I shouldn’t have to spend a dime more than someone without a disability for access to the same experience. It’s nice that you have extra resources to make it easier; many are not so fortunate.[/QUOTE]

It isn't rude for someone with a disability to use public transportation. But it would make sense for them to make things as easy on themselves as they could, right?

Is it better to save up a bit and spend extra on a rental or taxi, or is it better to board a full bus, hoping someone will give up their seat? I know which route I chose to go. The one that put the onus on me and kept my dad safe. If I don't take the time to see to it that he is safe and comfortable I have no right expecting strangers on the bus to see to it for me.

I'm not sure supersnoop. I didn't know it was odd, there was a cm outside the bus ushering people on.

I have no right expecting strangers on the bus to see to it for me.

Like I said it's a kindness that I've come to take for granted in the other countries I've been to and my own. I won't make that mistake again. Being totally honest it's sad that it's the norm there, for anybody, I've never ever been on a bus anywhere where someone who needed a seat (a mother, a disabled person, even just someone who seems uneven on their feet when the bus is in motion,etc) hasn't been offered one.

I normally use a scooter. So I board first and always have a seat. If I go without dear ol' Betsy, I may or may not have my cane or rollator.

Once, with my rollator, no one got up to give me a seat. But I knew that I might have to stand. My husband braced himself on one side of me and my son on the other. And I was okay for the short ride.

If I need a seat, I wait for the next bus. Or if I know it will be crowed, I wait in the park until the crowd dies down.

Believe it or not, I have been asked to move for a disabled person. I am guessing our bus driver was just brainless that day. He loaded me and "Betsy" at one stop and at the next stop he told me I had to get up and give my seat to the next person getting on with a scooter. This was not a seat that folded up. He basically told me to go up the stairs. He wasn't up to listening to me at all. When we got to the park, he asked who owned the scooter that was left. I was still in my seat in the upper deck, and let him know that although I didn't plan on making a scene, I was the one he had ordered to get up to give my seat to someone else. If it had happened on the way back from the parks, he would have had a scene.

All of that to say, no one knows who needs a seat. I look perfectly healthy. But I don't plan on getting up to give someone my seat.

Like I said it's a kindness that I've come to take for granted in the other countries I've been to and my own. I won't make that mistake again. Being totally honest it's sad that it's the norm there, for anybody, I've never ever been on a bus anywhere where someone who needed a seat (a mother, a disabled person, even just someone who seems uneven on their feet when the bus is in motion,etc) hasn't been offered one.

I think it is in part because everyone is so exhausted from their day. Also in part that if someone is willing to offer up their seat, a packed bus makes it hard to even give it to the "right" person. Heck last week we had people standing on a bus that had open seats because people didn't go all the way to the back of the bus.

Disney buses are made to hold more people standing than sitting. We all have to deal with that and what it means the best we can.

You have mentioned kindness several times so it seems to be important to you. Do you think you are being kind with your continued comments about this country and your perceptions of kindness?

I shouldn’t have to spend a dime more than someone without a disability for access to the same experience. It’s nice that you have extra resources to make it easier; many are not so fortunate.

Sure but access to the same experience in your case can mean you may have to stand or you may choose to wait for an available seat.

My friends and I have chosen to use Uber or a taxi at times because the thought of standing on the bus or waiting for it is just not what we want to put ourselves through physically.

To me it is a matter of being personally responsible. While it is kind of people of offer up seats when they can, I wouldn't feel as if I were being kind if I took dad onto a standing room only bus, and expected someone to give up their seat. It wouldn't be kind to dad for me to put him in that position, and it wouldn't be kind to the others on the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter