Disability Line Complaints

Well, Laurie and Ntsammy5 got me to break my silence, if for one post! And how is that for three people with some very diverse backgrounds, but still having some very similar opinions on some topics? I really enjoyed 'meeting' people different from me here over the years, but I did need to take a break from the negativity.

I am going to my beloved DLRP this week, where things are sadly not quite so accessible, but where there doesn't seem to be the suspicion of those with certain needs. I have said over and over here that if people only tried to use an assistive device (whether a cane, sling, ECV or any other device) for a few hours, they would realise that the frustration of using those devices far outweighs any perceived benefits.

I also find an irony that there are many posters who rarely discuss their own situations, but are always ready to provide advice and assistance to others. I asked one of my buddies recently here offline if he realised that one of the posters on this thread (who is also prolific on the Transportation Board) if she had certain physical challenges. Although he had posted alongside her for years, he had no idea of her challenges because she simply didn't bring them up if they were not relevant.

Going back to the original question, there seems to be such diversity in posts here. So many seem to think that people using assistive devices are 'faking' or getting 'special benefits'. Those of you who post here know that isn't true, or at least for the vast majority of people. I refuse to believe that people are inherently so devious and selfish that they would fake injuries and go through the hassles to have those lovely 'perks' of waiting in line far longer than the regular lines.

We have threads from people who have a minor or temporary injury, who want those 'special priveleges'. When we point out that they may not be so special, or that they may in fact be able to enjoy their trip even with an injury, they seem to be offended that we don't understand.

Then we have the posters who seem to have that very special ability to diagnose and prescribe treatment for random strangers from afar. I am quite sure that you know those threads.

These things really sadden me. I don't think those posters realise how blessed they are not to have anyone in their family who has any special needs. Instead of looking at how much they have, they look at others and are jealous of what they perceive that they have. I don't wish ill on anyone but one day those people will come to realise how wrong they were to post such cruel, judgemental things here.

I joke about being the 'dirty foreigner'. I can handle myself when it comes to the xenophobic posts. But I am defeated by the ones spewing such negativity to those people who deserve compassion and consideration.

So, in honour of my buddies who have already posted on this thread I will enjoy a nice day tomorrow at a Disney park where people don't think the worst of each other, and will think of you. I have been on a break for several weeks now, but I do hope to find the energy and positive thoughts to come back and fight the battle (or be banned trying! ;) )

Wishing you all good thoughts and good health - I have a lot of respect for many of you here.

Bavaria has stopped posting because of the hate speech on this site. I cried so hard because how could this site allow hate speech. We cannot put down people because of race or religion but them fat people are rude and stink and take up space. ECVx should be banned but if someone were to call jews ugly or stinky then we would major outcry and everyone would be on the side of the jews.

I begged Bavaria to stay and post but doubt she will listen as I am a fighter and am also fed up with people attacking my disabilities. I am at the verge of all out war against people who put down fat people and mobility devices. That would get me banned. I loved this site and will miss the Divas and disAbiolities but cannot handle this any more, no I said no I have found home sweet and safe and loving home here but I was wrong it seems. This site is condoning hate speech.

Mechurchlady I have seen a great many hate speeches against children as well and it is also very wrong to discriminate against a person for their age. If someone were to verbally bash an elderly person, you'd here outrage, but post disgust and what I have seen as violent thoughts and suggestions against children and some how it is acceptable. As a parent I find this frightening that this type of behavior would be allowed on what is supposed to be a family friendly board. So to say it is only the disabled who are being discriminated against is not true. Unfortunate that anyone should have to put up with hate, but discrimination, doesn't discriminate.

I won't go back it was one of the worst days ever had since my daughter was diagnosed (7 yrs before this) only 2nd time I ever had to use glucose injection. The whole thing just upset me too much to ever go back.

To the person who said this would never happened feel free to contact the name on the inset above to verify!!! And you said I judged! people!

Why can't the parks request info about illness/disability from guests before giving out these cards. Then everyone who has one even if they don't look like they have any problems would have one because they need it not because they want it. We don't go around giving out disability benefit and disabled parking badges based on what people want but instead based on what they need. If anything then the people who really do need help would get it even faster as people like that rude horrid woman from busch would not have a card. At the restaurant she even bragged about how easy it was to get and that guest services cant/ wont ask for proof. and about how her friends get them saying that their kids are ill/disabled even when they are not. She shouted this at me (I never attacked her I never even went near her, I was to busy dealing with my girl, She came right over to me! And only left when a Cm came and got her at the request of another geust who was watching all this). while she and her 3 friends laughed at me for not getting one for my girl. Her words- "what a laugh I got on you lot had to get off and you actually have a disabled person in your party."

So why can't the system be made less likely to be abused, all it would take would be a doctors letter/ disability benefit letter to get the card.

Then there would be no excuse not to give way to people who have these cards. I know how hard it is to look after a disabled person, I have just finished a years voluntary work looking after a severely disabled child (major head injury). I only worked with her for 1-2hrs a day for 3 days a week, and each day I was exhausted, by the lifting and manovering so have only admiration for those who on a daily basis do this for any special needs child or adult. And when we see them a Disney with autistic or physically challenged children they do it happily and with love, and that makes me both humble and happy.

I would gladly give up any seat on any ride for these people, however, I still would insist that all people in a party should be allowed to get off if one has too.

Ps I am not skinny myself by any stretch of the imagination. I was not saying that all fat people do this- I don’t but that some people do and the result is what happened to us

One problem with accepting a doctor's note is that it has been posted on these boards over and over again that someone has a doctor that volunteered to "write a note to get you to the front of the line", like the docs think they are all-powerful, line-cutting, note-writing gods.

People with a serious weight problem do have a disorder/disability. Not for one second do I think they enjoy being morbidly obese, and all the pain and stress that comes with it. Think of all the damage to the internal organs - the heart and liver and kidneys must be pretty much maxed out and ready to shut down at any time. I can't think of one obese person I know who is happy to be that way. At the opposite end of the scale, the anorexic is not happy either, obsessed with every morsel of food, every angle of the emaciated body being hated, etc. Weight problems are medical and emotional disabilities. Don't forget though, that a GAC is not issued for the disability, but for the need for accessibility.

I have witnessed possible GAC abuse - Two teenager girls ran giggling and laughing down the FP line at BTMRR, flashing the GAC at the CM. Very social (making eye contact with the CM, handsome young man) verbal, active. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt though. I also believe in karma.

I won't go back it was one of the worst days ever had since my daughter was diagnosed (7 yrs before this) only 2nd time I ever had to use glucose injection. The whole thing just upset me too much to ever go back.

To the person who said this would never happened feel free to contact the name on the inset above to verify!!! And you said I judged! people!

Why can't the parks request info about illness/disability from guests before giving out these cards. Then everyone who has one even if they don't look like they have any problems would have one because they need it not because they want it. We don't go around giving out disability benefit and disabled parking badges based on what people want but instead based on what they need. If anything then the people who really do need help would get it even faster as people like that rude horrid woman from busch would not have a card. At the restaurant she even bragged about how easy it was to get and that guest services cant/ wont ask for proof. and about how her friends get them saying that their kids are ill/disabled even when they are not. She shouted this at me (I never attacked her I never even went near her, I was to busy dealing with my girl, She came right over to me! And only left when a Cm came and got her at the request of another geust who was watching all this). while she and her 3 friends laughed at me for not getting one for my girl. Her words- "what a laugh I got on you lot had to get off and you actually have a disabled person in your party."

So why can't the system be made less likely to be abused, all it would take would be a doctors letter/ disability benefit letter to get the card.

Then there would be no excuse not to give way to people who have these cards. I know how hard it is to look after a disabled person, I have just finished a years voluntary work looking after a severely disabled child (major head injury). I only worked with her for 1-2hrs a day for 3 days a week, and each day I was exhausted, by the lifting and manovering so have only admiration for those who on a daily basis do this for any special needs child or adult. And when we see them a Disney with autistic or physically challenged children they do it happily and with love, and that makes me both humble and happy.

I would gladly give up any seat on any ride for these people, however, I still would insist that all people in a party should be allowed to get off if one has too.

Ps I am not skinny myself by any stretch of the imagination. I was not saying that all fat people do this- I don’t but that some people do and the result is what happened to us

Scroll up I've posted why a doctor's letter won't work. It would no doubt be more likely to be abused. If the people you encountered lied to Busch Gardens and were rude to you, do you really think they wouldn't write their own Dr's note?

It doesn't much matter what "proof" you have of the incident. Bumping others off of rides simply doesn't happen. Your situation was an aberration and nothing more. It does not reflect any accommodation given to any person with a disability at Busch Gardens or Disney. The employee could have been rude or simply poorly trained its anyone's guess.

Schmeck said:
One problem with accepting a doctor's note is that it has been posted on these boards over and over again that someone has a doctor that volunteered to "write a note to get you to the front of the line", like the docs think they are all-powerful, line-cutting, note-writing gods.
Yep. One of my doctors - who has been to Disney World more than once - has offered to do that for me. I never asked, and I never accepted.

I can understand the frustration with the Busch gardens incident. It was more than just the employee, it was the fact that the woman came up to her in a restaurant after the fact and decided to chew her out, even though what happened caused a medical emergency for the woman's daughter. When behavior like this occurs, is it any wonder that people start thinking differently about an entire group?

I'm going to be honest, as a CM I saw a lot of abuse of the GAC. I had people scream at me because they rented a wheelchair and that means they get into the line first. Literally scream at me. Unfortunately, with the amount of faking that goes on there is an attitude from CMs at times that overweight people are using it because they are too "fat" to walk. Now, coming here and hearing the stories and having some experiences with my mother and my friend who are both very overweight and need a wheelchair for unrelated conditions I know this is not true. But the people who abuse the system have created this impression and made it worse for everybody. Especially when you get people everyday who harass you or even scream at you because they rented a wheelchair and therefore they should not have to go through Standby or have any kind of wait.

That being said, I would never want to require proof of disability. Not everybody would think to bring it. It takes the spontaneity out of the equation. I'm sure there are people who are in the area and just decide to go for a day. They should be able to get teh same accommodations they would have if they had planned ahead.

There will always be people out there who abuse the system and give those with disabilities a bad name. There will always be people who will judge those with disabilities because of perceived injustices or because they like a previous poster have had incredibly negative experiences with those who are abusing the system. If we want to their attitudes, we can't allow ourselves to become overly emotional and abusive in term. We can simply need to gently tell them the truth that they need to be unaware of, and set an example in the parks by using the system the way it was meant to be used, as most here do.

merryweather- It simply did happen!! TO US!! I get very cross on boards like this when people try and tell you something cant/ wont happen when it did/does.

Yes from the correspondence that followed, I agree it was not meant to happen, but it did, and I am sure it won't be the first or the last time it will happen.
Busch assure me that the young lady and her friends were removed from the park after the restaurant incident at the request of other guests who witnessed the events unfold in front of them.

As for the needs of fat guests, I am a sure as anyone that they do need the chairs they use esp in the heat of florida, I would hate to see the discomfort they would experience if they had to walk in the parks, also the strain on there body would actualy be dangerous. What I am disagreeing about is that the gac card is open to abuse and IS abused. How do you get diabled car badges in USA do you not need proof for them.

Also I do not agree that being fat equates to having a disablity. I in fact think is is insulting to all those people who have actual disabilities, my cousins husband read this when they were visiting last night and was taken aback by someone believing they are disabled by being fat. He is 29 and 'recovering' for a major stroke he cannot walk or talk and only has use of 1 arm. He will never walk again according to doctors, as 1/3rd of his brain has had to be removed. He tries to get fitter by crawing about the floor and has now got to the stage (1 year later) of being able to crawl up and down the stairs for excersise. Last night he wrote would love to have 'your disability' and was infact angry by thet fact you have something that could be improved but yet most don't effectivly tackle it and he has something that docs say can't be over come and he is working all ours he can to try and overcome it as much as possible to try and have some sort of family life with his wife and 4year old son.

I am aware how hard maintaining weight can be as I said I am always battling my weight and thin I will never be, and I do have a medical condition that causes me to gain weight easily (polly cistic overies). But weight is just about control its a simple maths equation too much food makes you fat- I live on 800-1000 caleries a day and do not consume more than 6 grs fat a day (exept of hols:woohoo:). I have to take vitimans to keep to this healthly and drink water/eat sugar free jelly so as not to feal hungry (but that maintains my weight so its all my body needs). I know some have said but yes thats easy if you have an easy life. Here is a glimpse of mine: Over the couse of 18 months the following happened to us

One girl had septaciamia aged 2 (nearly died) left cortex damage- all sorts of issues
one girl diabetic with added potassium complications that causes fits
one girl tummor in spinal cord - no damage yet but docs baffled as huge inoperable tummor inside cord T4-T9

They all cope with it so that has made me learn to cope, yes it can be hard, and I would love to pig out due to stress and heart ache- but lifes too important and I have too much to do to allow myself to become incapitated due to not looking after myself! So to others who feal that life is too hard to try, reach down into the depths of your strength and try, use church, use support forums, use anything but at lest try getting fitter. It will turn your life arround. I know its hard- It was for me too, I was in such dispair when the last of the above 3 things happened to me, I fealt I was loosing my mind and I couldn't cope as a result my weight bloomed and I fealt I would never get it under control, but then I realised if the worst was to happen it would be me who would have to do most of the lifting of my darling daughter, so got to work getting control of it.

Well that was 6 yrs ago now and I am 56 pounds lighter than then. Luckly my youngest girl still seems Ok and is about to go to secondry school. She will never be out of the woods as docs just don't know why she is ok, all scan show she should not be able to walk -but she does. Please excuse me I never meant to sound as if I didn't care for fat people, in fact I understand how, why it happens more than most but I also do not believe you are disabled, you are in need of help, support , love and encouragement:flower3:. You have every right to be in disney or in any park and use the electric chairs. But you also have a duty to try and get help you owe it to yourselves, you are too valuble to live an unhappy life. However if you are truely happy being fat (I have a close friend who is- then you go for it!!! :cheer2:sometime I wish I could be like you)

The absolute anger/hatred/whatever towards seemingly able people in wheelchairs/EVCs was one of the reasons I didn't rent an EVC during our last trip despite the pain I was in from my feet.

I did rent a wheelchair on our honeymoon, many moons ago, and I felt so terrible because I am perfectly able bodied in most senses even if my feet do fail me when walking long distances. I hated using the accesible lines and I hated the looks people gave me when DH was pushing my chair around.

That awful, thats why a new policy should be brought in, disney is just to big to walk arround if you are in pain, it will take away from your enjoyment of the place. If some form of proof was required, then you would feel so much more at ease in the chair or scooter you deserve. It may also lead to a situation that could mean disney would be much more able to have different passes to meet the differing needs of guests. I also feal that the money disney charges for chairs, scooters is far to high. Here in Uk these things are given out free at many places you just need to show a disability badge or social services letter and leave a deposit to get one, most towns, tourist places have them.

mackay - the reason why you need proof for disabled parking spaces is that they are limited, and provide more accommodation than the average guest gets (because they are closer, etc). A GAC is designed ONLY to allow disabled guests to enjoy the parks AS MUCH AS able-bodied guests. It is federal law that no one can require proof of disability, so long as you are asking for a "reasonable accommodation." Obviously things like federal disability assistance is MORE than the average person gets, so it must be proven.

Part of the reason why people are not allowed to require proof is that would suddenly require the gov't to define "disabled" for all kinds of situations. Too disabled to wait in line is different than too disbled to see the screen is different than too disabled to walk, etc. I have faith in my gov't, but that seems like a bureaucratic nightmare!

Also, some people cannot afford more drs (i have been there!) or drs do not believe them. For close to 10 years i was told my genetic defect and all the pain it causes was due to stress! Stress is not a disability, and my dr would NOT have written me a note to allow me to use a wheelchair or scooter in disney, even though i needed one. my condition was just so rare that no one had seen it before.

also, can you imagine having to prove disability to use the lift on a bus? or be allowed to sit in the lower seats in a theatre? most companies don't have the manpower to check such things, and i can print a dr's note and a "certified disabled card" right here on my computer. I think it is more important to allow people free access, even if it allows in some cheaters, rather than restrict the system for people who actually do need it.

Some systems are so resticted that I am going to have to take a YEAR of paperwork to get my new wheelchair, when my disability dictates i get it NOW. That is because so many people abused the system, i have to jump through a thousand hoops.

There is no right answer. All we can do is the best we can, and keep trying to make it better :)

T mackay_j Simple facts: a disability can cause one to become overweight. Sometimes simply being overweight is not a disability. Sometimes it causes other issues and it becomes a disabilty. Please stop judging who is and who is not disabled. Not everyone is physically capable of doing what your cousin's husband has done. I am fairly thin and have not had a stroke, yet with my disability it would be impossible to crawl around the floor and up and down stairs. The image of myself trying to attempt it is almost laughable.

I've seen a lot of threads on here about people faking the need for an ECV, and sometimes there will be two people sharing an ECV and therefore neither person must really be disabled. I'm afraid at some point my family might be in that situation. My husband, daughter, and I are all disabled. At first glance none of us would appear to be disabled. My daughter has a special needs stroller which she needs for walking long distances. One of us has to push the stroller, which is not exactly lightweight. It's exhausting, but there is no other option as she can't psuh herself in a wheelchair. I don't know if she would ever be able to control a power chair, and I don't think our insurance would pay for it since at this point she doesn't need one for daily use. My husband and I both find our conditions to be worsening, and switching off on a ECV may be our only option if we want to continue to enjoy the parks.

merryweather- It simply did happen!! TO US!! I get very cross on boards like this when people try and tell you something cant/ wont happen when it did/does.

Yes from the correspondence that followed, I agree it was not meant to happen, but it did, and I am sure it won't be the first or the last time it will happen.
Busch assure me that the young lady and her friends were removed from the park after the restaurant incident at the request of other guests who witnessed the events unfold in front of them.

As for the needs of fat guests, I am a sure as anyone that they do need the chairs they use esp in the heat of florida, I would hate to see the discomfort they would experience if they had to walk in the parks, also the strain on there body would actualy be dangerous. What I am disagreeing about is that the gac card is open to abuse and IS abused. How do you get diabled car badges in USA do you not need proof for them.

Also I do not agree that being fat equates to having a disablity. I in fact think is is insulting to all those people who have actual disabilities, my cousins husband read this when they were visiting last night and was taken aback by someone believing they are disabled by being fat. He is 29 and 'recovering' for a major stroke he cannot walk or talk and only has use of 1 arm. He will never walk again according to doctors, as 1/3rd of his brain has had to be removed. He tries to get fitter by crawing about the floor and has now got to the stage (1 year later) of being able to crawl up and down the stairs for excersise. Last night he wrote would love to have 'your disability' and was infact angry by thet fact you have something that could be improved but yet most don't effectivly tackle it and he has something that docs say can't be over come and he is working all ours he can to try and overcome it as much as possible to try and have some sort of family life with his wife and 4year old son.

I am aware how hard maintaining weight can be as I said I am always battling my weight and thin I will never be, and I do have a medical condition that causes me to gain weight easily (polly cistic overies). But weight is just about control its a simple maths equation too much food makes you fat- I live on 800-1000 caleries a day and do not consume more than 6 grs fat a day (exept of hols:woohoo:). I have to take vitimans to keep to this healthly and drink water/eat sugar free jelly so as not to feal hungry (but that maintains my weight so its all my body needs). I know some have said but yes thats easy if you have an easy life. Here is a glimpse of mine: Over the couse of 18 months the following happened to us

One girl had septaciamia aged 2 (nearly died) left cortex damage- all sorts of issues
one girl diabetic with added potassium complications that causes fits
one girl tummor in spinal cord - no damage yet but docs baffled as huge inoperable tummor inside cord T4-T9

They all cope with it so that has made me learn to cope, yes it can be hard, and I would love to pig out due to stress and heart ache- but lifes too important and I have too much to do to allow myself to become incapitated due to not looking after myself! So to others who feal that life is too hard to try, reach down into the depths of your strength and try, use church, use support forums, use anything but at lest try getting fitter. It will turn your life arround. I know its hard- It was for me too, I was in such dispair when the last of the above 3 things happened to me, I fealt I was loosing my mind and I couldn't cope as a result my weight bloomed and I fealt I would never get it under control, but then I realised if the worst was to happen it would be me who would have to do most of the lifting of my darling daughter, so got to work getting control of it.

Well that was 6 yrs ago now and I am 56 pounds lighter than then. Luckly my youngest girl still seems Ok and is about to go to secondry school. She will never be out of the woods as docs just don't know why she is ok, all scan show she should not be able to walk -but she does. Please excuse me I never meant to sound as if I didn't care for fat people, in fact I understand how, why it happens more than most but I also do not believe you are disabled, you are in need of help, support , love and encouragement:flower3:. You have every right to be in disney or in any park and use the electric chairs. But you also have a duty to try and get help you owe it to yourselves, you are too valuble to live an unhappy life. However if you are truely happy being fat (I have a close friend who is- then you go for it!!! :cheer2:sometime I wish I could be like you)

I don't know how I can make myself more clear here. Your vitrol directed at the accommodations provided by Busch gardens and Disney is unfounded. The situation that you posted is not an example of accommodations provided to a person with a disability.

Its fine to be angry at the patron that was rude to you and Busch gardens for their poorly trained employee... but thats where it ends. You can't be angry at all other patrons that might need accommodation, they are simply not responsible for one freak incident of rudeness at Busch gardens. Neither does it permit you to judge all people who are overweight. Weight is not the be all end all. It does not tell you everything about that persons condition, and may in fact be a direct result of what they are facing.

It's nice your brother has found something that works for him, but obviously it won't work for everyone. Many deathly ill people, are put on medications that make them gain weight. Are you honestly going to tell my grandfather to "buck up" and crawl around on the floor? It wouldn't be possible, and it wouldn't make him any better.

you must have not read my post number 30 -I do agree that people who need help to get arround for what ever reason should have it. But I also think/know that as the systen stands at the moment (at least in busch) is open to abuse and that is a real shame. Look at the post from the guests who feel unable to use it because of others reactions- that is not right. Thats why I think a diff system is needed one that all guests who need it are happy to use.

mackay, there is an attitude toward disability that many find somewhere between uncomfortable and downright insulting, and that is called "The work harder" attitude, or the "positive thinking" attitude. I am not saying you have the attitude, just that your posts are coming across that you do.

The worker harder attitude implies that if one works harder or tries harder or just thinks more positively, they will be able to improve or even cure their disability. In 99% of cases this is simply untrue. Yes, we with disabilties have to work harder than the average person, but this will not make us "better." For example, my disability is due to a genetic defect, which will never go away and is literally causing my body to fall apart (literally, as in several dislocations a week).

I cannot "work harder" to overcome my disability. Crawling on the floor will not help. In fact, walking is making me worse.

The attitude that people who do not try to do as much as possible despite pain or whatever are somehow weak or wrong is what makes many of us afraid to get the help we need. That attitude is what your post about the person with the stroke implied. It may be that you did not mean it, but that is why many of us are upset by that comment.

Again, I am not saying you actually mean to come across like that, but I wanted you to be aware that is how some of us are reading it.

and NO, weight CANNOT be controlled through dangerous dieting like you suggest. Obviously you consulted with metabolic and GI specialists, as well as endocrinologists and dieticians before embarking on that dangerous a diet, so it must be safe for you, but there are conditions that will make you gain weight no matter how little you eat. My sister has Cushing's Disease for example...

I understand that certain things work for you and your family, but assumptions are being made that if it works for you (such as a rigidly controlled diet) it must work for everyone, and I think that is in error.

I have witnessed possible GAC abuse - Two teenager girls ran giggling and laughing down the FP line at BTMRR, flashing the GAC at the CM. Very social (making eye contact with the CM, handsome young man) verbal, active. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt though. I also believe in karma.

You are sweet to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you had said 2 teenage boys it would have sounded just like my sons. Thank you for not judging.

At 14yrs old my ASD son wants to be independent but does not always have the skills. He is learning them slowly, and only by giving him the freedom to try will he gain true independence. Sometimes we send him with his 16yo brother so he feels like he is a typical teen, without mom and dad. (We are only ever a cell phone away.)

With us had a complete spinning meltdown in an unusually short 10 minute line at Snow White. It is a tightly spaced line, hot August temps, hot body smell, and noisy. Way too much stimulation. He could not handle it at all. (We left the line after only 4 mins.- Excuse us, pardon us, sorry, we need to exit, sorry.)

Fast forward 30 mins...Space Mtn FP line, singing and skipping down the line, all smiles, responded to the CM, even looked up at him.

Our trips go back and forth like this, and we finally give in to the GAC.

He has used it to get a CM's attention when he needs help knowing what to do, if he is confused about a ride entrance he has a conversation starter. He can ask for help during an all stop because he shows the card and knows the "script" is "I don't know what to do, can you help me?" Without the card he would never speak to them. Instead he can look at people, interact, and seem "normal." It is his shield to hide behind, it gives him freedom.

(And yeah, I know some people lie to get a card. I am not oblivious to that. I just wanted to be a voice for the side that looks like abuse but isn't.)

RE the Busch Gardens incident: Totally disgusting. I am so sorry this happened to you. Part of me hopes that staff member was fired. I am glad your dd was "fine" but that in no way excuses the bs they put you through. And the "lady" they made you move for? NASTY! To then brag about abusing the system is beyond belief. All I can say is that rude people come in all shapes, sizes, abilities and disabilities. Sounds like she was not a "rude handicapped woman"...she was a RUDE!!! woman who just happened to have a handicap.

you must have not read my post number 30 -I do agree that people who need help to get arround for what ever reason should have it. But I also think/know that as the systen stands at the moment (at least in busch) is open to abuse and that is a real shame. Look at the post from the guests who feel unable to use it because of others reactions- that is not right. Thats why I think a diff system is needed one that all guests who need it are happy to use.

I've read your post number 30# Its much the same as all your posts. I don't think I'll succed in convincing you that the incident you posted was rude people, and nothing more, but thats the truth.

A dr's note would be worth little more than the paper its printed on, as the posters have mentioned. You haven't responded to any of these concerns. Such a note would be easy to forge, or easy to obtain from an unscrupulous dr. But legitimate users would be forced to pay with their time and money, for a Dr's visit. It would have the opposite effect. Heck the rud e people you encountered would no longer have to lie to the employees face, they'd simply write down a quick note ahead of time.

KPeveler, I've seen that attitude even among the disabled here on the boards. It's very disheartening, and I'm starting to feel these boards have lost their usefulness to my family. I'm getting tired of people who expect and demand reasonable accommodations for themselves, yet decide the accommodations others need are not reasonable.

As for the weight issue, my DD9 is rapidly gaining at a very alarming rate even though she DOESN'T EAT. We were just in Boston last week seeing a doctor who actually believes us when we say we don't stuff her face with food. This doctor says he's seen kids with metabolic disorders hospitalized and on 600 calorie per day diets and they STILL gain weight. He's sending us to a metabolic specialist in Cleveland because we can't get competent medical care here in Philadelphia. I relayed all this to a friend and she still tried to give me advice on what to feed my daughter. People just don't get it.

KPeveler, I've seen that attitude even among the disabled here on the boards. It's very disheartening, and I'm starting to feel these boards have lost their usefulness to my family. I'm getting tired of people who expect and demand reasonable accommodations for themselves, yet decide the accommodations others need are not reasonable.

As for the weight issue, my DD9 is rapidly gaining at a very alarming rate even though she DOESN'T EAT. We were just in Boston last week seeing a doctor who actually believes us when we say we don't stuff her face with food. This doctor says he's seen kids with metabolic disorders hospitalized and on 600 calorie per day diets and they STILL gain weight. He's sending us to a metabolic specialist in Cleveland because we can't get competent medical care here in Philadelphia. I relayed all this to a friend and she still tried to give me advice on what to feed my daughter. People just don't get it.

i am not saying that anyone specific on these boards has that attitude, but i have encountered the "if you just work harder, you wont be sick anymore," or my personal favorite "if you work harder, you can hide your problems so no one knows you're sick." nevermind that hiding my problems generally results in pain, fatigue, and me being housebound!

my sister has cushings disease, and she found a great dr at Mass Gen - a neuro-endocrinologist.

I am not trying to call anyone out - i just wanted to say that in general, the "if you just try harder" attitude is very difficult to deal with. It tells me that my disability is all in my head, and that if i "tough it out" then i can live a "happier life."

What people don't realize is that i am just fine being disabled! not that i would mind getting better, but as that is not going to happen (its a genetic defect, no treatment for that!) I have learned to accept and even embrace it. i refuse to feel defective or lesser or something simply because i need a wheelchair.

anyway, where this thread originally started is that people are dumb. people are dumb everywhere. and I can't make myself crazy because of other people's stupid. It's sad they are so ignorant and sheltered that they think i am faking my disability just cause i can stand up, but i honestly dont even notice anymore, and i just go on with my life and my vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter