Disabled child at Childrens Activities?

Tracyee

Earning My Ears
I have 2 children, one with and one without special needs. My 6 year has semi-lobar Holoprosencephaly (think severe CP, non-walker, non-talker). My mother and I are taking them to WDW in May. While I am at a conference I would like the kids to attend the Grand Adventures in Cooking at the Grand Floridian. My 4 year old can hold her own but I wanted my mom to act as my son's aide so he could go as well. She would be able to help him hand over hand with the apron and chef's hat art project. He would love the story time and all.

Does anyone think this would be reasonable? I know the event is just for kids but would it be worth my contacting Disney to see if my mom could attend with my son?

Are there any other non-park activities you all have had positive experiences with in regards to your child being able to attend with or without an attendant?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

I cant be a lot of help. But I do think its worth it to contact special services to see if your Mom can attend with your son. I dont see why this would be a problem, but I would check with them to be certain.
Take care
Aimee

They are under the ADA and do need to make reasonable accomidations if at all possible.
What you want to do sounds like a very reasonable accomidation. You would basically be providing him with a 1 on 1 attendent. We have not used any of the things like this at WDW, but have used community programs in the same way.
I think someone posted that they had done something similar to what you want to for the Pirates Cruise. You might want to look into that too.

I am taking my 7 year old non-verbal/ non-mobile daughter who is in a wheelchair to Alice's Wonderland Tea @ GF in May. I called and registered her for May 25th and told them about her. It first they said i could drop her off and someone else would deal with her. BONUS!!!! But alas... she needs to be fed and they can't do that so they told me I could accompany her.:o)
We wanted to do the Pirate Cruise but the boats and hunt are not accessible enough as the kids hunt in hard to navigate areas sometimes... ie beaches, grassy areas...etc.

Originally posted by tigger2on

We wanted to do the Pirate Cruise but the boats and hunt are not accessible enough as the kids hunt in hard to navigate areas sometimes... ie beaches, grassy areas...etc.
Thanks for pointing that out. I think the person who had done it with a child with a disability had a child with autism, so mobility was not a factor for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter