• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disabled Line Pass at DL and CA

jel0511

DIS Veteran
I thought I read here that someone can get a "line pass" at DL and CA if you have disabilities. I had a stroke 2 months ago and waiting on lines is something I can't do yet. I think I can walk around the park, but waiting on lines makes me dizzy. I would like a pass to pass the lines, but if not available will rent a scooter to bypass the lines since I can't stand in them. Does this pass exist and how does one go about getting one?

I'm not totally sure what is available. You can find out in Calif. Adv. at guest services (I think it's called) to the left of the gate when you come in (before the Golden Gate Bridge and stores).

If you think you would like to rent a scooter, I know that most all of the lines accomodate them. Again someone in guest services or guest relations will be able to tell you for sure.

You may be able to call guest services. I'm not sure what number, perhaps the one you would call to book tours? They may have that info for you.

I hope you have a magical time!
Chris

For the most part, you will be told to get a scooter or a wheelchair. DCA is essentially ADA compliant, so a front of the line pass won't help you.

DL is different, the lines are narrower and you may need a pass - but from what I understand you may have to wait a substantial time anyway (some have a loading sequence they need to follow and they may not load all the handicapped first.

Because of widespread abuse of the system, they became very strict. Sadly, some folks who could really benefit from a pass are excluded.

Go to the DLR website and request a disabilities pamphlet. I believe you can download it as well. Otherwise, call them directly and ask your specific question. :flower:

We rented a Chair for my Dad over Memorial Day. He doesn't have anythiong more crippling then Arthritis, we just rented the chair so we didn't have to walk at his pace. Pirates was the only ride we used the Disabled line on and the required no pass to use it.

It was a really long line though.

Yes, there used to be disabled passes that put you at the front of the line, but people abused this system (because CMs couldn't ask what the disability was so people would just go in to town hall and say they wanted one and be able to get one)....now, I believe, the system is different, but I don't know how. Call DL and ask them and I am sure they will help you out.

jel0511 said:
I would like a pass to pass the lines, but if not available will rent a scooter to bypass the lines since I can't stand in them. Does this pass exist and how does one go about getting one?

A "pass to pass the line" does not exist (unless you are a make a wish child). What exists is an alternate line that may allow you to wait in the shade, sit, etc. It does not allow you to board the ride as soon as you walk up. These passes are usually used for autistic child and those with other issues that keep them from standing/being in line with everyone else. We use it when it is crowded because of my daughter's behavior issues and medical issues.

Funny thing - those that don't really need it want it and those of us who do need it would give anything to not to.

They do indeed have "special assistance" passes. I have a couple of friends who get them because of bad knees. One can't do stairs, the other can't stand in long lines (he'll end up not being able to feel his legs after a lot of standing/walking). I know they get them at City Hall.

iceskatejen said:
They do indeed have "special assistance" passes. I have a couple of friends who get them because of bad knees. One can't do stairs, the other can't stand in long lines (he'll end up not being able to feel his legs after a lot of standing/walking). I know they get them at City Hall.
Thanks!! This was exactly what I was looking for. I also start to lose feeling on my left side if standing too long, so hopefully I can get one of these. Otherwise it's off to a wheelchair or ECV, and with my 4 and 7 YO along, not a good thing!!!!

jel0511 said:
Otherwise it's off to a wheelchair or ECV, and with my 4 and 7 YO along, not a good thing!!!!

They maybe happy with the ecv. I've seen alot of kids get "ride" on them - saves their feet. Depending on what time you go, you may want to ask for the pass but also get an ecv or wheelchair. Even if you use the alternate line, there can be a quit a wait. If you don't get the pass, there are certain rides that you will get an alternate line with the wheelchair/ecv because of how they load those who use them and where they have to store them while you are on the ride. I believe pirates maybe one because you have to get off on the other side to get out, small world is another (noticed this on our trip in May) and the haunted house (because of the queue). Depending on the CM, if the ride has a fastpass you maybe required to use them. Some let us thru the fastpass line with the pass while other CM had us take a ticket and return. If you go in the summer, you might also mention that you need to wait in the shade as some of the regular lines are in the sun with no or little shade.

Because of the change in policy, you may want to bring a doctor's note to back you up. Some of our friend have needed them.

Have a fun trip.

While you may be able to get one they may also require that you get a wheelchair or ECV. They will try to accomidate you but you will not get front of the line access. Meaning that if the line is not wheelchair accessable, they will have you enter through the exit but you will have to still wait. If the line is accessable they will ask that you use it. More and more lines are becoming accessable. Of course this is only fair and creates real "equal access" as is required.

The assistance cards have changed at Disneyland...as was mentioned before due to widespread abuse. Your wait time will not be shortened and is sometimes longer...in fact they had the w/c queue lines moving slowly so that the wait time in the accessible line was the same as the regular line. We just returned from a trip from the end of May/beginning of June and I used the card due to being on life support/terminal illness so I had a "front of the line pass" although it's not worded that way. I actually didn't need the card since I also use a power wheelchair. There is no way to "bypass" anyone else also in the accessible queue....not that I would've wanted to bump someone anyway. Your best bet if you can't stand for long periods is to rent an ECV so you aren't miserable or endangering your health. Kathy

RADOPT said:
Funny thing - those that don't really need it want it and those of us who do need it would give anything to not to.

My DD has cerebral palsy and is very physically disabled. I would give anything to be forced to stand in line with all the other typically developing children.

As far as the pass Lori is talking about, it is called a Guest Assistance Pass and you can get it at Town Hall. Even though my DD is in a wheelchair and is obviously disabled we always bring a letter from her doctor stating her needs. The ECV might not be a bad idea though.

The card is called a Guest Assistance Card and it was changed a year ago in January. Before the change, all the cards (then called Special Assistance Pass) were the same and allowed access to alternate waiting areas. Often these lines were ewven longer than the regular line.
When they changed to the Guest Assistance Card, they were attempting to make DL work more like WDW. At WDW, the basic GAC is a tool to let CMs know what accomidations are needed, based on a guest's needs. Stamps added to the GAC specify what the accomidations are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter