Disabled rooms with twin beds @ POP ??

Mark Watson

Earning My Ears
I'm taking a party of 15 adults and 5 children to WDW in September 2006 but require 2 rooms with disabled access but twin beds.
One is for a mother (74) and son (53, blind and one leg) who therefore cannot be expected to share a bed and the other is for a family of 2 parents (one with MS) and their daughter.
The travel agents I've spoken to all give conflicting information on room availability claiming only rooms with 1 king bed are available and suggesting "book a more expensive resort" or "book 4 adjoining rooms".
I can't believe we're the first party to request twin rooms as many people with disabilities who I know travel with carers.
Surely WDW doesn't expect guests with disabilities to pay more than able bodied to stay 'on property' or do they?
If you've any experience of this please post a reply.

Thanks

Mark

:wave:

I don't have an e-mail address available, but you might want to invest in a call to "Special Reservations" at +1-407-939-7807 and explain the situation to them.

The normal rooms in the value resorts have two double beds (larger than twins). Due to the room size, generally to enlarge the bathroom they will decrease the size of the bedroom and put in one king bed. In circumstances such as where this cannot work they will reserve that room and a standard "connecting" room for the same price as the one room.

(Note a connecting room has a door that goes directly from one room to the other. An "adjoining" room while directly next to the first does not have a direct door; you have to go outside or into a corridor to get from one to another.)

Once you have the correct information from WDW you can pass it on to the agent. Either that or have the agent invest in the telephone call.

Most travel agents are pretty clueless about handicapped access.
Your best bet is to call Special Services with your question. Cheshire Figment posted the number.
Twin beds are not a usual size bed for hotel rooms in general, so finding a hotel room with twin beds would be unusual. Sometimes you will find them in rooms aimed at families, but because of space, most handicapped rooms have a king bed as was already explained.
If the party would other wise fit in one room, but can't because of a disability, the resort has to provide 2 rooms for the price of one (if the person with a disability needs assistance of someone who would not be sleeping with them, you would need 2 connecting roms -one with a King bed and one with 2 doubles or queens).
Explained a different way: 4 or less people could normally fit in one room, but the handicapped accessible room has one king bed. Because the king bed can only sleep 2 at the most, your 3-4 people would need 2 rooms. The 2nd room has to be provided at no extra cost.

I'm thinking the OP, from the UK, is using the term "twin beds" to mean 2 beds in the room. If so, yes, I think most resorts have 2 beds in handicap accessible rooms. As suggested, I would call the Special reservations number, explain the needs of your party, and see what they suggest. They will be much more familiar with what is available than a travel agent.

POP has 2 types od accesable rooms. The first is the king bed with a roll in shower. The second is a 2 double bed room with a tub. So if you don;t need the rollin shower you would be able to do it. But if you need the rollin then you would need to do what Sue said. Either way call special services to get what you need. :pug:

Chuck S said:
I'm thinking the OP, from the UK, is using the term "twin beds" to mean 2 beds in the room. If so, yes, I think most resorts have 2 beds in handicap accessible rooms. As suggested, I would call the Special reservations number, explain the needs of your party, and see what they suggest. They will be much more familiar with what is available than a travel agent.
OOOhhh, that could be.
Twin bed in the US is usually meaning a narrower bed (about 41 inches wide).

Agreeing with Chuck; I also think most of the resorts have some handicapped rooms with only a king size bed and some that have 2 queen beds (about 66 -68 inches wide).

Just make sure that what special services tells you that they really have it!

They described a room in great detail, that we reserved at BC and when we arrived we found that no such room existed! It took 4 hours to get it straightened out!

I was so frustrated! From what I have been told the accessable rooms in Pop have King size beds but if a roll away would work for one person then you might be alright!

Either way best wishes and make sure that they write down exactly what they promised you and you write down the person's name!

Twende said:
From what I have been told the accessable rooms in Pop have King size beds but if a roll away would work for one person then you might be alright!
They do not have roll aways at POP. No room for them. But as Sue stated earlier they then have to provide the second room at no cost.

The room layout is as follows:

King Bed Accessible 63
King Bed Typical 81
Dbl/Dbl Bed Accessible 115
Dbl/Dbl Bed Typical 2621

And all of the king accessible rooms connect to double/double rooms. :pug:

I recently called Special Reservations to enquire about disabled room configurations at All Stars.
They told me that Pop has disabled rooms with roll-in shower with either a king bed or 2 doubles. The All Star resorts only have roll-in shower rooms with king beds, but they would give you a connecting room with 2 doubles FOC if your party size required it.
It sounds like you will be able to get exactly what you need at Pop, but you will need to request it through Special Reservations to guarantee it.

If there are only two people in the room, then they DO expect you to be accomodated with a king bed since there is physical space for two people to sleep. Otherwise you can request and receive at no extra charge a rollaway bed. The room has to have bedding for the party size and they will not make exceptions just because two people don't want to sleep in the same bed. Since there are rooms with two doubles now at most resorts, hopefully that will work. ---Kathy

dclfun said:
The room has to have bedding for the party size and they will not make exceptions just because two people don't want to sleep in the same bed. Since there are rooms with two doubles now at most resorts, hopefully that will work. ---Kathy

Not true this is covered in the ADA where the caregiver is not the same sex as the person with a disability or if they are the same sex are not related.

What about the rerigerators in POP accessible rooms? The All Stars had one in the room that fit my milk, meds, etc. but I've read that some resorts have "shoebox" size fridges? I prefer to buy all my milk at the beginning of my trip instead of making an almost daily trip offsite to get my milk.

Not positive if this is true for all the value resorts, but I have read posts from people at some of the value resorts that the handicapped accessible rooms have a dorm size (definately bigger than shoebox size) built in since many people who require those types of rooms also have medication/special needs that require refrigerators. I do know that some resorts give out the showbox size ones for people sometimes with medications - they are a good size for one or 2 bottles.
Hopefully someone can give you a more definative answer.

The request was about a mother/son and another party with family members...I know my son would prefer not to sleep in the same bed with anyone, but if it's a family according to special needs reservations, they do expect you to share a bed if a king is provided.---Kathy

Thanks all.

If the 2x double accessible rooms aren't available it sounds as though the ADA has it covered and the adjoining room will have to be provided.

I know that they're family but I dont think they can expect a 53 year old disabled man to share a bed with his mother!

loadsapixiedust said:
I recently called Special Reservations to enquire about disabled room configurations at All Stars. The All Star resorts only have roll-in shower rooms with king beds, but they would give you a connecting room with 2 doubles FOC if your party size required it.
I called to make a reservation today for a Disabled Access Room with roll-in shower at the All Star Resort for our family of 4. (Music was what was available.) I was told that ALL of us would be in one room, which sounds like they have put two double beds in a room with a roll-in shower. Does that sound right??

Disbug said:
I called to make a reservation today for a Disabled Access Room with roll-in shower at the All Star Resort for our family of 4. (Music was what was available.) I was told that ALL of us would be in one room, which sounds like they have put two double beds in a room with a roll-in shower. Does that sound right??
I don't know from personal experience, but have read that some of the accessible rooms do have 2 double beds.
Whatever they do, they have to maintain a clear 32 inch wide pathway throughout the room for wheelchair access. Doing that with one King bed is easier than it is with 2 doubles, but as long as they can maintain it, they are meeting the ADA requirement for access.

Disbug said:

That is interesting, it sounds like they have maybe made a few changes recently since I spoke with them. I was definitely told that at All Stars Resorts all the rooms with roll-in showers were with a king bed, but connecting to a room with 2 doubles which they would let us have FOC as we are also a family of 4. Maybe they are starting to look at the requests they get from families and try to accommodate them better. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter