Disappointed in Les Chefs de France

Duchess1966

Earning My Ears
We ate dinner at Les Chefs de France on 7/26. We were fine through the appetizers (although the pate plate didn't contain much pate). It went south when the entrees were served. Two of my kids ordered fish, they were served chicken. We sent it back & it took over 10 minutes for the correct entrees to arrive. My DH & I ordered the filet mignon. There was no comparisson b/w the 2 filets served. The filet that I received was very nice albeit overcooked. I ordered medium rare and received medium. My DH received a much smaller filet that was completely overcooked. He ordered medium and received well done. I can't believe that they would send those plates to the same table. It was very disappointing.

We had a similar disappointing experience at Les Chefs de France July 2005. It was so bad DH swears we'll never eat there again.

Oh boy... we're eating here next week. Well, I'm not even going to attempt to change the reservation so crossing my fingers for a decent meal. I think it is also hard considering the fact that we've been to France several times so we'll be comparing the food to the food we ate in France.

purpliequeen said:
Oh boy... we're eating here next week. Well, I'm not even going to attempt to change the reservation so crossing my fingers for a decent meal. I think it is also hard considering the fact that we've been to France several times so we'll be comparing the food to the food we ate in France.

I was trained in Classical French cuisine & worked in several restaurants serving Progressive French Cuisine. I did stay away from Chefs for years because I knew I might be a tough critic due to my training. We finally decided to give it a try based on favorable reviews here.
When we ate at Chefs, I was very disappointed in how bland the food was - not subtle....bland. The cheese plate we had was nice, the desserts were lovely, but the entrees left much to be desired. We also encountered some service issues involving the rice my sole came with that was dried out & rock hard - but that's a whole other story altogether. Chefs in one WDW restaurant I will never eat at again.

We ate a Chefs on 8/4, and it was only OK. The lobster bisque was a bit salty and tasted more like fishy tomato soup than lobster. DD had the tarte a la alsacienne, which was also OK. The bacon was a bit underdone for our taste, but that could just be us.

DD had the roasted chicken with basil potatoes. It was fine (hard to screw up roasted chicken) and I had the brochettes de fruits de mer. I liked the brochettes very much, but I can see how they might disappoint someone else. They had been left to caramelize a bit on one side, which I enjoy. Others might consider them overcooked.

The creme brulee was delicious, and DD was too full to enjoy her sorbets, but I tasted them and thought they were yummy.

The best part of the whole dinner was our table. We were in the front conservatory area (not sure what to call it-glass room?), and had a lovely view of passersby.

I think we'll try other restaurants in Epcot before heading back to Chefs. We loved Le Cellier, and always do fine at Rose & Crown. Long ago, I ate at Alfredo's, but I'm in an area of the country where great Italian food can be found in every city and town, so I'm pretty spoiled. I'm dying to try Teppanyaki and Restaurant Marrakesh.

We ate there last year and it was the only bad meal of the trip. We had to get another meal afterwards as everyones dinner was bland and tasteless. The meat was also dry. My DH also vows to never eat there again.
Nicole

I guess I'm in the minority here, but we had dinner there in Nov and I thought it was great :thumbsup2 I loved the food, atmosphere and service. I would definately eat there again. To each his own I guess :)

Terri
:wave:

Wow! Me, DH & DS ate there in July and it was one of the best meals we had.

To give you an idea what type of taste buds I have, I tend to over salt most of my foods, whereas my DS prefers less salt. The Escargot were pretty good, me and ds shared the lamb shanks (w/creamy polenta, yum) which we thought was absolutely delicious! I think my DH had some sort of roasted chicken which he enjoyed. The desserts were also very good!

Everyone's taste is different and I would definitely go back again.

Six of us ate there in May and it was the best meal of our 2 week trip. It was much better than Jiko for instance (horrible dried out chicken at Jiko). Like everywhere I guess they have good nights and bad nights etc.

We just did this 3 nights ago. Wow- superb. Our waitress, Lydie, was fantastic- she checked up on often and was constantly refilling drinks and telling us about her hometown.

We've been to France twice and were wary of eating here compared to the authencticity we have previously experienced. We were not disappointed. The French Onion Soup was definitely one of the best we've ever had.

The entrees were also delicious. We didn't stick around for dessert- we were not on the free dining plan and thought the prices for desserts sounded like a waste as they are smaller portions than what you can get for a lower price in Boulangerie-Patisserie (the French bakery outside).

We would come back here again anytime. Perhaps we just got an on-night? I don't know. The ambience was also beautiful. Really made us feel like we were in Paris again dining on the Loire River. Thanks to Disney for making dining experiences like this possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter