DISboards App

Apps can be written or re-written for any platform. People use them all the time for just about everything...smjj

Excellent, I'm sure the admins will appreciate your offer of rewriting a new app for them.

Andre

Excellent, I'm sure the admins will appreciate your offer of rewriting a new app for them.

Andre
No need to get so snotty, these were tools that were part of the old boards and many had come to use quite a lot and I like most here assumed or hoped it would continue on in the new boards. It is their job to maintain these boards, not mine of yours. I am a user like you and all others and simply stated a concern, no more...smjj

Sorry, not trying to get at you, but just at the idea that rewriting a vBulletin-designed mobile app to run with different board code is in any way a simple or quick task. And speaking as a webmaster of a forum of my own, and a hobbyist programmer, it most definitely would not be a trivial change.

Andre

I didn't think Andre was snotty. I think it's presumptuous to assume that it's just so easy to write an app. They'd have to hire someone to do it. It's not their JOB to keep this running, it's their hobby. So either they have to write an app, or hire someone to do so.

Yes, I'm a System Engineer, DBA, and Application Developer. That's my trade. Disney is my hobby :-)

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon smjj, and maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it came off as an offhand type thing like "They have to do this for us, and it's so easy to do". Perhaps that wasn't your intention.

And can I stop for a moment and say AWWWW at the little smiley that got made with my colon+dash+right-paren? :-)

Just put a web link to your desired landing page on one of your phone's home pages. Much easier than searching for and installing an app to be honest.

Andre
Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you add the link to your iPhone's home page? Thanks

Hopefully an iphone user will pop in. I used to be, but haven't used anything past iOS6. So first you load the page in safari. Then, somewhere near the title bar of the browser you should see a menu, may be something you have to click (three dots in android) and you should see an option that reads something like 'Add page to home screen', and it will drop an icon to the screen.

While it's probably not what people want to hear, you need to remember that the new boards are running on a completely different software platform, so you can't expect any apps that were custom-written for vBulletin to work with the new XenForo boards.

It'd be a bit like buying a new Pioneer DVD player and expecting your old Sony VHS remote control to work with it.

If the admins want to implement it, a standardised solution such as the Tapatalk interface might work - but they've already put a lot of work into making the new forums responsive and highly adaptable to all screen and device sizes, so I can understand why they would be reluctant to spend a lot more time and effort adding an app which would only do what they've already programmed the boards for anyway. And multiply that by iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Symbian (!), etc, etc, etc then the idea of apps must get less and less appealing compared to a core product which works on all platforms.

Andre

Repeating myself, but installing the tapatalk plugin for xenforo forums doesn't look particularly difficult:

https://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=xnf

And also repeating myself, if the mods just don't want people to use an app because they just don't (and the only motivation I can see would be to prevent avoidance of ad views), would probably be better to say so than to let the conversation drag on. I've been posting about this a lot, but I promise I will stop asking if an actual definitive statement gets made. I don't want to cause trouble, I just really don't like web interfaces for message boards, and despite claims, the new one isn't really doing anything magic on mobile devices.

I am really enjoying the layout on my iPhone 6. I have a link on my home screen and only had to sign in once (just select the remember login option). I don't see much of a need for an app. Thanks to the webmasters for all of the hard work they have put into this!

... I will stop asking if an actual definitive statement gets made. I don't want to cause trouble, I just really don't like web interfaces for message boards, and despite claims, the new one isn't really doing anything magic on mobile devices.

That is definitely not confirmation there will ever be Tapatalk, sorry! I'm not going to lie there are a lot of issues involved. It hasn't been ruled out but for right now this is it

perditax, Understood that you prefer an app. However, I believe WebmasterAlex's response is as definitive as you can get right now. It is not currently under consideration until the current responsive design system has been tried for a bit (not just a few hours).

Just logged on with my Galaxy Note 4 and didn't have any trouble. Looks just like this only smaller. Good job. :disrocks:

I agree. I haven't been able to view disboards on my android tablet for about a year and a half. I logged in today on the tablet and was able to view everything on the page. It worked great. Fantastic job!

Now that makes sense, not being a technical expert I do not profess to know the intricacies of apps...smjj
I didn't think Andre was snotty. I think it's presumptuous to assume that it's just so easy to write an app. They'd have to hire someone to do it. It's not their JOB to keep this running, it's their hobby. So either they have to write an app, or hire someone to do so.

Yes, I'm a System Engineer, DBA, and Application Developer. That's my trade. Disney is my hobby :-)

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon smjj, and maybe you didn't mean it that way, but it came off as an offhand type thing like "They have to do this for us, and it's so easy to do". Perhaps that wasn't your intention.

Your right that was not my intention. Being a no-technical person, I assume as most of us here thought that the app and the boards are maintained as a whole. If I am wrong then I am wrong but do not expect us non technical people to understand the intricacies of all this stuff.. All I know is that the boards and apps were all working before and as a user I thought they to work after, sorry I am not as all knowing as you Application developers and DBA's but that is not my field and should not be expected to be as all knowing about these things. I also thought the people that do maintain these boards are paid third party hired by the owner and I just assumed this would have been a part of the conversion process as well...smjj

In reply to smjj above:

See, I'm going to have to get used to your style of writing because that came across as petulant. No one said we're all knowing! I don't even know what's going on behind the scenes of this move, detail-wise. But I'm going to assume you didn't mean to sound mean. :goodvibes

We're all going to have to help each other get accustomed to this new software. Some things aren't going to work for everyone. There are a LOT of users on this board who are accessing the information in a lot of ways.

Anyway, no, the app and board were not developed together before. And there are third-party (stand alone, not tied to one platform) options like tapatalk, but they don't happen automagically, they have to be configured to work with the forum software (as I understand it, I haven't looked in to it).

I've got my own frustrations with the boards, but I HOPE I'm not insulting people as I try to work through them. Call me on it if you see me doing so, k?

Hopefully an iphone user will pop in. I used to be, but haven't used anything past iOS6. So first you load the page in safari. Then, somewhere near the title bar of the browser you should see a menu, may be something you have to click (three dots in android) and you should see an option that reads something like 'Add page to home screen', and it will drop an icon to the screen.

Thanks! On the iphone after you open in Safari there is a box with an up arrow at the bottom of the screen. I clicked on that and it brought me to the tab to add the site to the phone home screen. I never knew I could do that! :)

Thanks! On the iphone after you open in Safari there is a box with an up arrow at the bottom of the screen. I clicked on that and it brought me to the tab to add the site to the phone home screen. I never knew I could do that! :)

Just tried it and great, I like you never knew I could do this, thanks

While a responsive web design is great, I personally try not to browse forums on a mobile device, unless there is an app available, so please add my vote to the "I'd love an app, if at all possible" category.

With a responsive design, it will basically shrink the webpage down to fit on a mobile screen. This is useful, but it still displays everything, all avatars, and tags, and signatures, which is a lot to cram into the small space of a mobile screen. And it may be possible to turn off all of those, but that would require changing settings back when you log in on a PC, and then changing settings every time. With a mobile app, you don't have to go through the trouble.

And yes, I realize that mobile apps don't write themselves. Luckily, someone else has already written Tapatalk, and as others have already posted, it's reasonably easy to configure with Xenforo.

I don't know about the rest, but I did read that it's not showing .sigs in the mobile version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter