• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disc Cove - should we bring toddler? Dec. weather?

twinmomto3boys

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip to Orlando in early December. We have 2 six-year-olds who want to swim with the dolphins. We also have a very adventurous two-year-old. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle a two year old in this park? Our main concern is his safety (he is quick!) and our sanity (he is very quick). Do they have life vests for his age, will he have things to do? Are we crazy for even considering this? Are there shallow areas for him to play in? Last question: will it be too cold in December? ANY advice would be extremely appreciated!!!

Hi Twins :D
We've booked Dis.cove for December 2nd, and we'll have 14 month old ds with us.
I had the same reservations as you before I booked, but I thought "what the hell" and went ahead.
I e mailed Dis. cove to ask about life vests, and what exactly my son could do there.
I had one back to say that he could do everything in the park except the dolphin swim. The smallest lifevests are for 30lbs, so I would imagine that this would fit your 2 year old ???
Is there enough for him to do ? - IMO Yes.
He can paddle in the stingray lagoon, and touch them, I bet he'd love that :D He could float around the coral reef and the Tropical lagoon, with all the tropical fish with you.
The avairy would be great for him with all the birds. Also kids love to play in sand.
I'm going to ask the trainer if I can have a photo done with my son and one of the dolphins. That would really make my day.
As for the December weather - who knows. Its very unpredictable.
I've chosen the beggining of December ( the 2nd day of our vacation ) because i think it will be warmer than mid December, but I could be wrong.
The dolphin and fish water are all kept VERY cold, so if you do go, you might want to get a wetsuit instead of a vest.

Sure there's alot to do for a 2 year old. He'll probably play in the sand on the beach where the water is warm. And he will be safe with the life vest on.
But you gotta remember, you'll be following him the entire time, and that will wear both of you out. You'll probably have to take turns watching him, and your nerves will be frayed. A 2 year old won't even remember this trip when they grow up. They don't realize how much money you're paying, and how special a place it is. They just wanna run and touch everything in site.
If you could leave the 2 year old home with grand parents, I'd do that.
You can do it, but DC is a place you go to relax, like a tropical paradise. You won't get that experience chasing a 2 year old around. I see people bringing little kids and wonder what they're thinking. Sure, it's family and all that stuff, but when I visit parks, I see the little ones crying and being yelled at by their parents. In the afternoon they're alseep in the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter