Disney Called Today Tips will not be cut out of DDP!~looks like they lied:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
They increased the ddp price this year for adults from $37.99 to $38.99 an increase of about 26.25% without people complaining and I am sure it will be increased by the same amount next year.

I'll speculate that Disney anticipated savings from the official separation of adult and child credits.

edited to say I shouldn't do math while I'm also on a phone call. The increase was 2.65%, as corrected by subsequent posters.

You're off by two decimal places, the increase was about .26%. A ten percent increase would have been $4 and the increase was only $1.

I'll speculate that Disney anticipated savings from the official separation of adult and child credits.
Actually, you're both off ONE decimal point. $1/37.99 = .0263, which is 2.63%...not one-quarter of one percent (.26%) or 26%.

How many times over the years have I read threads with "I got a call from the executive offices and..." THEY HAVE BEEN WRONG!! Wether its sugar free jello , AP discounts or Alfredo's closing. Repeatedly Disers have gotten phone calls from WDW that were FILLED with false information. Do I think the CM on the other end is lying? No, just misinformed.

If it does come true no gratuity I would hope its anounced prior to the 180 day mark. This could really effect many peoples plans.

I'm another that believes a call from Guest Services (or Executive Offices) is going to result in whatever information is *current* not what could be happening in the future...even if it's a policy that could change tomorrow. It's a win-win situation for Disney because all they'd have to say if questioned on it is that it *was* the policy that was in effect at the time of the call.

This is one will just have to wait on until all the contract negotiations are over. Does anyone know when that might be?

Actually, you're both off ONE decimal point. $1/37.99 = .0263, which is 2.63%...not one-quarter of one percent (.26%) or 26%.

Given that the average rate of inflation for 2006 was 3.24%, a 2.63% total increase in the price of anything from January 2006 to January 2007 is extremely reasonable ;)

As for the accuracy of the information given to the OP from two sources, well, especially considering the VP's note that there's a plan under consideration to exclude the tip from a meal plan available to the Cast Members... it's easy to see the potential for confusion.

We haven't been given a new date to vote yet.
Interesting. If it's permissible for you to do so, can you tell us whether you have -- in fact, not rumor -- been presented with a contract to vote on which eliminates the included 18% gratuity in the DDP?

Don't put yourself in jeopardy, but if it's okay, we'd all appreciate whatever you can tell us. Thanks, and we'll take care of you guys either way!

Jim several posters have confirmed the proposed contract:
1) Got rid of the included gratuity for DDP guests
2) Now add an automatic gratuity for parties of 6 or more (currently 8 or more)
3) Add an automatic gratuity for guests use the DDE card.

Interesting. If it's permissible for you to do so, can you tell us whether you have -- in fact, not rumor -- been presented with a contract to vote on which eliminates the included 18% gratuity in the DDP?

Don't put yourself in jeopardy, but if it's okay, we'd all appreciate whatever you can tell us. Thanks, and we'll take care of you guys either way!

I've obviously missed those posts. Can you give me a link?

Thanks.

If it does come true no gratuity I would hope its anounced prior to the 180 day mark. This could really effect many peoples plans.
The 180 day point is practically irrelevant to this. If you make ADRs and then find out that the deal has changed, just cancel them.

What matters is that people know what's included or not at the time that they pay for the Dining Plan.

I haven't read this thread in a few days figuring that it would not get a response. Okay so I am wrong, it did. I am only telling you what the phone call said and the VP said to me. Could they be lying? Maybe, but I don't see the trouble of calling and writing to tell me a bold face lie. If they did go to that extreme, I would be very careful about spending my money at Disney in the future.

If everyone is truly worried about this (cause I certainly don't like the idea), then write to Disney!!!! I pretty much told her on the phone and in my email that it would not only hurt my bottom line, but their bottom line also. It would be much more economical to rent a house in one of the close by neighborhoods and do my cooking there versus paying inflated costs for hotel room, tickets and dinning plan. The end result: I'm still going to the park, but much more of my money will be spend outside of the park.

I like the ddp for the sheer convience of having everything paid for before we leave so I would hope that we could just start flooding them with emails showing them why this is a bad idea for the customer as well Disney. So come one everyone lets start letting them know how we feel!!:cheer2:

Lewisc said:
I've obviously missed those posts. Can you give me a link?

Thanks.
Just so we're all clear here -- I was not questioning my friend Lewis' veracity with this request. I was just trying to find out what I had missed.

Lewis PM'd the info to me (which I appreciate), but I just want to be sure nobody misunderstands my request.

The 180 day point is practically irrelevant to this. If you make ADRs and then find out that the deal has changed, just cancel them.

What matters is that people know what's included or not at the time that they pay for the Dining Plan.

It may be irrelevant to you but the DDP has people planning which park which day based on TS choices. Much of that can change by dropping the DDP. Example : I would do all signature dining VS. 1 TS IF I was not using the DDP. Unless I double up my ADRs I could very well be out of luck getting an ADR at CG for example. Also I don't like having to plan twice which would be eliminated IF the decision is made PRIOR to the 180 day mark.

The point is that advance reservations are a convenience -- not guaranteed. An unexpected closure can disrupt such plans, without prejudice. Folks who place more priority on their advance reservations than that are setting themselves up for potential disappointment.

The other logical gap is that, if you wanted to reduce the cost of the DDP, there are much more beneficial and sensible ways to do that. It would make a lot more sense to eliminate the snack credits or reduce the ratio of CS credits to TS credits. You could eliminate either or both, saying as justification that history has shown that many guests don't use them all.

I think a good and logical way to reduce the cost of DDP for Disney, and not really negatively affect the visitors, would be to change the TS meal to a two-course meal. The diner could have a choice of appetizer + entree, or entree + dessert, as opposed to all three as currently.

Most people find the TS meal to be far too much food as it is with three courses. They could also drop the dessert from the CS meal, and perhaps let the snack credit be used for a CS dessert if the diner wants one.

Susan

I think a good and logical way to reduce the cost of DDP for Disney, and not really negatively affect the visitors, would be to change the TS meal to a two-course meal. The diner could have a choice of appetizer + entree, or entree + dessert, as opposed to all three as currently.

Most people find the TS meal to be far too much food as it is with three courses. They could also drop the dessert from the CS meal, and perhaps let the snack credit be used for a CS dessert if the diner wants one.

Susan
The problem with both of our suggestions is they would only reduce Disney's cost slightly for each meal.

If they eliminate the tip, instead of part of the revenue from the DDP going to the server, it stays in Disney's pocket. They have increased their revenue with no increase in cost. I think they compute the value of a TS meal at something like $25.00 and are therefore paying something like $4.50 to the restaurants as a tip. If they keep the tip, they've increased their revenue 11.5%, which is a pretty nice increase.

From my viewpoint, however, if they eliminate the tip, I would still tip 20% of the meal price (which is probably about $50 for an average TS meal). So I would get nothing more from DDP, but would pay $10 per adult meal more in tip. Everybody's math is different, but that's more than enough to send me offsite for virtually all meals.

I also don't buy the argument that DDP is too much food for most people...although it's plenty for us. I just see too many people stuffing their mouths with both hands at TS meals to buy that! If they dramatically reduced the food available, many would waddle away from the feeding trough.

Disney's cost for a salad, soup or a piece of cake can't be more than $1-$2. Disney would get more savings if they made the entire table decide on appetizer or salad. That wouldn't save dollars but would reduce the time each party spends dining and increase restaurant capacity. The same thing could be accomplished by serving a sampler platter for the table.

I'll agree the CS dessert could be cut but again that won't save Disney that much cash and would give the plan less "sizzle".

I don't completely agree with the "too much" food posters. Many of those posters are selecting menu items which are really big enough to share. Disney is reducing portion sizes.

Susan

That's only true at the non-Disney owned restaurants. Disney owned restaurants base the servers tip on the menu price of the items ordered. It really doesn't matter if part of the tip comes out of the restaurants "pocket" and the rest of the tip is part of the reimbursement. The money comes out of Disney's pocket. The cost of a table service meal probably $30-$50.

Assuming you're right dropping the TIP will result in the dining plan budget saving $4.50 with the restaurant saving another $4-$5.

If they eliminate the tip, instead of part of the revenue from the DDP going to the server, it stays in Disney's pocket. They have increased their revenue with no increase in cost. I think they compute the value of a TS meal at something like $25.00 and are therefore paying something like $4.50 to the restaurants as a tip. If they keep the tip, they've increased their revenue 11.5%, which is a pretty nice increase.

From my viewpoint, however, if they eliminate the tip, I would still tip 20% of the meal price (which is probably about $50 for an average TS meal). So I would get nothing more from DDP, but would pay $10 per adult meal more in tip. Everybody's math is different, but that's more than enough to send me offsite for virtually all meals.

That is the point. It will drive repeat visitors offsite. If there isn't a value factor, only convenience, many repeat visitors will reconsider. I also think it will leave first timers with a bad taste in their mouth. If I do the math for our family the DDP is 170 add in "at least" 50$ in tips and it becomes cost prohibitive. Then add in how our family has seen a decrease in quality, portions and selections ( ie Smores at PTC we would split this with the girls is now half the size and the same cost) I can really justify going offsite for some meals. Plus no worries about the "convenience":rolleyes: factor of the ADRs.

We have done the DDP in the past and the real benefit for us was not trying to split up checks and figure out who owes what. Now if we have to deal with paying a tip I might as well go back to the old fasion way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter