Disney cancels many summer Galactic Starcruiser voyages

I think that over time the Starcruiser will develop a varied menu of experiences. The current program will probably be dropped to at most 2X/week, and the rest of the time will be "day excursions", quite possibly leaving from Batuu to visit the ship (which guarantees that you have also already purchased a park ticket.) I can also see private events being held there, just for the theming.

I don't think that the hotel room aspect will go away entirely, but I can see them being used less often, because day excursions and tours will make more money over time than 2-night trips that are not selling.

Yeah, I think they may start to offer a less costly one-night experience or jsut some day-trip/dining types too. I'm sure that they knew that they would need to make changes as they go.

This is a bummer, I really hoped it would survive, because I would be interested in the Harry Potter version.

A diluted version would be a real shame, but that sounds like where this is headed. You know, a schedule to all the special areas for everyone, instead of the current experience. I'm sure there were always a couple of backup plans for this hotel. Wedding venue comes to mind.

It was doomed from the start at that price point, I'm sure it's a great experience and most everyone who has done it has had rave reviews however that's not the problem. You can see even with those rave reviews there having trouble filling the ship because there only so many die hard star wars/sci fi fans. They need to figure out a way to attract the non star wars people which is going to be a tough task if not impossible. You find people that are either 100% in on the experience or 100% out there really isn't to many in-betweens. Disney needs to find the middle people to give it a try
The middle age people would line up for an experience themed to the original trilogy.

In my eyes I think these summer cancellations of sailings of the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser are a sign that the resort is failing due to a low audience. Because as I have mentioned in many threads about the Galactic Starcruiser Disney doesn't even promote it at all with NO commercials and I think in a year they will close the Galactic Starcruiser and remodel it into a regular hotel based on Star Wars. Because Disney has had smart ideas with the Animal Kingdom Lodge where you can see animals from your room window and turning some rooms of Port Orleans Resort into Princess themed rooms. But when they created Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser the audience that was given the big draw was Star Wars fans and really big Star Wars fans who wished that they live the life of a Star Wars character. But I think they copied the Grey Wolf Lodge chain of hotels and decided to follow suit with the same format but with Star Wars themed stuff. But I think if they lowered the prices of the voyages this place could be more successful rather than having people pay the expensive price for a voyage. Because I can see this as a prize on a game show like Wheel Of Fortune and if Wheel Of Fortune did Star Wars Week if it existed this would be the big prize for Wheel Watchers Club members in a sweepstakes. But as I also mentioned before I wouldn't be surprised if Disneyland were to have a Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser of their own too. But had they marketed it in the correct way Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser would attract more people to stay there. But I think Disney will focus next on Marvel more because other than Star Wars Marvel is number one for Disney. But hopefully with the debut of The Mandalorian Season 3 in March the resort will be promoted more and maybe they will add Mandalorian themed activities and a special voyage will also be added as well. Will it be true? Only time will tell
Dodger
I agree! My hubbs would really like to do it but I can't stomach the cost and if we added our kids.....6 of us. Sheesh!

I’m a person of a certain age, and I would line up for an OT, prequel, CW, Rebels, Andor…basically anything but a sequels version. You can blast me for not being a true SW fan, but my knowledge and collection would say otherwise.
the main starcruiser characters on the ship are all unique and also include Chewy and stormtroopers, the main events with newer ones are just fun. It was a super unique experience and if people love Star Wars and the cost is not an issue to try once, I definitely recommend it. I loved our Galaxy’s edge visit after being on the ship, very neat.

I couldn’t believe that it was operating continuously. It’s such a production that I could totally see it being once or twice a week and even seasonally close for staff breaks and maintenance. The turn over is super fast and just hours before the next voyage.

the main starcruiser characters on the ship are all unique and also include Chewy and stormtroopers, the main events with newer ones are just fun. It was a super unique experience and if people love Star Wars and the cost is not an issue to try once, I definitely recommend it. I loved our Galaxy’s edge visit after being on the ship, very neat.
I realize that, but you’re still working for The First Order or the Resistance, there’s still the undercurrent of the sequels. I can hug Chewy in Launch Bay. I know I’m being difficult, and it’s all on me. I don’t enjoy Rise because of the theming (not to mention half the things don’t work most of the time). Maybe one day I’ll get FOMO, but today isn’t that day. Get Hondo off the MF and on the SC, and I’ll consider it.

For me, the cost is just straight up too expensive for 2 days. You can spend a week literally anywhere else and get way more value. I'm really into escape room/roleplay-esque experiences like this too, but I can't justify it. I'm also not a Star Wars fan but if this was way cheaper I would check it out. I think this should've been priced and operated similar to Sleep No More in NYC, the most similar experience to this.

I do think theming this to the sequel trilogy was also a mistake but that's a mistake with Galaxy's Edge as a whole IMO.

I'm awaiting Jenny Nicholson's review. She apparently didn't like it at all and I cannot wait for her video about it!
Same here! I was following her on Twitter when she was somewhat liveblogging her experience and....oof. It was a doozy

The middle age people would line up for an experience themed to the original trilogy.
I don't see why they couldn't have "special" sailings or something with other theming, like maybe retro Star Wars. Swap some costumes and some storylines. I'm sure that's not easy, but seems like there are people who would bite.

Always thought there were a limited number of avid Star Wars fans willing to spend exhorbitants amounts of money on the most expensive hotel on the property. Sounds like most of the 'one and done' crowd has seen it and moved on to something else. If they can't get them to keep returning, I can see why there aren't enough rooms being booked.

Liked Star Wars when it first came out many years ago. However, it now seems like they just try to keep pushing out sequels to make $$$ when there are honestly only so many different ways to tell the same story. Have lost interest in all of the new characters and like most movie sequels they eventually run out of new ideas.

The problem they would have trying to convert that hotel into anything else is the small number of rooms. Believe it only has 100 rooms, so will be interesting to see how they try to repurpose it as something else. Would be interesting to see the original business case that sold this idea to management to get the funds approved. New leadership might see this as a money losing operation and find some other use for it.

I'm awaiting Jenny Nicholson's review. She apparently didn't like it at all and I cannot wait for her video about it!
I was literally thinking about her all through reading this thread, lol. I know one of her big complaints was even with effort, it seemed like she didn't get to pick her storyline, she ended up resistance even after doing first order-esque things. That stuck out as a really big one to me, I can't imagine paying that much money to not even be able to pick the theme of your storyline.

I mean, it's a whole other discussion but I'm surprised they give you an option to go First Order. It's not just 'bad guy' it's 'Space Nazi.' Yikes! Surely there are enough bounty hunter, rebellion, scavenger, etc. roles to go round without offering that!

I've never really understood why a lot of Star Wars fans gravitate toward the Empire/First Order. I mean, sure, they look cool and all, but that doesn't make me want to root for them.

I've never really understood why a lot of Star Wars fans gravitate toward the Empire/First Order. I mean, sure, they look cool and all, but that doesn't make me want to root for them.
Same reason why any of the villains are cool.. Evil Queen.. Ursula etc. it is not just Star Wars. Look at how people clamor for a villain's experiences or characters. They have style... great costumes and in the case of non Star Wars.... great songs etc. lol... although I would not mind a Darth Vader soft shoe....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter