Disney Career Start Parent Thread

How did everyones kids find out about this program? .. i know its not really all that adversited ...

Caitie was interested in the College Program since the first time we went to WDW when she was 13. She was looking at that one online and came across CareerStart. She decided to apply because she wasn't sure what she wanted to go to college for and didn't want to spend tons of money before she knew what she wanted to do. She is interested in hopsitality so this seems just perfect for her.

Thanks for the early birthday wishes! She is excited!

How did everyones kids find out about this program? .. i know its not really all that adversited ...

I think Steph did a lot of research since she always wanted to work there. She was actually going to try to work there last summer and stay with my friend but Disney also was suffering from the bad economy and was not really hiring that many who were under 18. I know she has wanted to do this for a really long time. She was the one who got me to look at the Career Start Website for all the info.

The time is already starting to fly. In the next few weeks we have Prom and then Graduation. My next step is to make sure has all of her yearly doctor/dentist visits before she leaves. She already has her appointment set up for the dentist at the beginning of August, I just need to make sure to get her in for a regular checkup. I figured it would be a good idea since she will be gone for a while.

Well since my mom isn't on to answer for me!(still trying to get her on) I'll answer for me!

I went to Disney Feburary 23rd for the first time in like 10 or 11 years!:scared1:
I know that's a long time. But anyways I was just overwhelmed by how closely detailed and perfect everything was. I was feeling great while I was there as most people do and I decided I would just find some way to work there ASAP. Run up on Career Start and bang here I am waiting for September 1st! :woohoo:

Well since my mom isn't on to answer for me!(still trying to get her on) I'll answer for me!

I went to Disney Feburary 23rd for the first time in like 10 or 11 years!:scared1:
I know that's a long time. But anyways I was just overwhelmed by how closely detailed and perfect everything was. I was feeling great while I was there as most people do and I decided I would just find some way to work there ASAP. Run up on Career Start and bang here I am waiting for September 1st! :woohoo:

I didn't go for the first time until I was 38!:scared1: I think that Disney World is almost better when you go and can appreciate all of the details. The details make it Disney. Otherwise, it is just an expensive mega-fair! I really wish we could have brought them when they were younger, but, after going a few times and seeing over-stressed parents yelling at their tired, crying kids to have a good time, I am kind of glad we had to wait! I love how we feel when we are there and we, also, wish we could just move down and work there! You guys are so lucky to have this opportunity...I told Caitie the other day that I wish they had a CareerEnd program for parents who have kids graduating from high school!:laughing: I would sign up right now! I also told her that if she decides she doesn't want to try and extend, that she has to do it anyway and I will switch places with her!;)

I didn't go for the first time until I was 38!:scared1: I think that Disney World is almost better when you go and can appreciate all of the details. The details make it Disney. Otherwise, it is just an expensive mega-fair! I really wish we could have brought them when they were younger, but, after going a few times and seeing over-stressed parents yelling at their tired, crying kids to have a good time, I am kind of glad we had to wait! I love how we feel when we are there and we, also, wish we could just move down and work there! You guys are so lucky to have this opportunity...I told Caitie the other day that I wish they had a CareerEnd program for parents who have kids graduating from high school!:laughing: I would sign up right now! I also told her that if she decides she doesn't want to try and extend, that she has to do it anyway and I will switch places with her!;)

I know what you mean, I wish they had a Career End Program for parents like us to. I know I would have signed up in a heartbeat .:rotfl: I am hoping Nichele wants to extended it too. Im very lucky to be living here and is able to see her when i want. I am also excited that she gets some free tickets too ..:laughing: I guess I will just have to force myself to go up there and go to the parks :rotfl:

I remember the day Nichele told me she was goin to apply. She had already applied to a college but she wasnt happy with anything and she kept saying she really didnt want to go yet. She has always been a HUGE Disney fan always looking around at Disney sites and stuff. So when she found a site online that was advertising the Disney College Program, she was really excited about that. But then found out you had to have a semester in college ...lol So she was really bummed about that ... until she seen ad for career start . She then applied that day, she then got her web and phone interveiw a few days later on the same day. When she got her folder .. i couldnt stop her from yelling and jumping up and down:laughing:

I think Steph did a lot of research since she always wanted to work there. She was actually going to try to work there last summer and stay with my friend but Disney also was suffering from the bad economy and was not really hiring that many who were under 18. I know she has wanted to do this for a really long time. She was the one who got me to look at the Career Start Website for all the info.

The time is already starting to fly. In the next few weeks we have Prom and then Graduation. My next step is to make sure has all of her yearly doctor/dentist visits before she leaves. She already has her appointment set up for the dentist at the beginning of August, I just need to make sure to get her in for a regular checkup. I figured it would be a good idea since she will be gone for a while.

I know what you mean, time is flying by so fast. This week there getting caps and gowns . Then Friday is Grad Bash in Unverisal Studios. Nichele is soo excited ... After that is Prom, Graduation and then Project Graduation that nite . Plus we have Nicheles graduation party to get ready for too.

I had to get Nichele some contacts, she still has her glasses for reading and stuff but for work she had to get contacts . :) I heard Stephs best friend got in Congrads :) . I bet there both soo excited to make it in and be able to room together. At least they will know someone already ..lol

I heard Stephs best friend got in Congrads :) . I bet there both soo excited to make it in and be able to room together. At least they will know someone already ..lol

They are both super excited. I am surprised that you couldn't hear that loud scream of joy from Stephanie when she found out:lmao:

This summer is going to race by...Steph's older sister is moving into an apartment in Indy this summer and then we take Steph to Florida. We actually purchased a few things yesterday and have officially started the "pile".

My next step is get the paperwork in order. I read the folder where the correct documents are needed such as original SS card or birth certificate. We also have to bring the car insurance info that shows that Steph is covered under our policy and covered for the car she is driving.

Steph plans on working as much as she can this summer so hopefully she will go down there were a decent amount of funds to get her through at least the first few months. At least these kids will have a great opportunity to make overtime...one thing I do know about Disney is that anything over 8 hours in a single shift is considered overtime. If they work a 10 hours shift, the last two will be overtime. I sure wish all places did it that way.

They are both super excited. I am surprised that you couldn't hear that loud scream of joy from Stephanie when she found out:lmao:

This summer is going to race by...Steph's older sister is moving into an apartment in Indy this summer and then we take Steph to Florida. We actually purchased a few things yesterday and have officially started the "pile".

My next step is get the paperwork in order. I read the folder where the correct documents are needed such as original SS card or birth certificate. We also have to bring the car insurance info that shows that Steph is covered under our policy and covered for the car she is driving.

Steph plans on working as much as she can this summer so hopefully she will go down there were a decent amount of funds to get her through at least the first few months. At least these kids will have a great opportunity to make overtime...one thing I do know about Disney is that anything over 8 hours in a single shift is considered overtime. If they work a 10 hours shift, the last two will be overtime. I sure wish all places did it that way.

I thought i heard a faint scream this weekend ..:rotfl: I have already got everything Nichele needs all in a folder to take with her when we go to leave .. since she isnt driving i dont have to worry about insurance ... :) Nichele is actually going to Jacksonville to help my brother take care of his 2 kids .. (he is a LT in the Navy) so she will be gone for little over a month. I kind of wish she would stay home so i can spend a little more time with her .. but since he is paying good money she couldnt resist ... :upsidedow .... the overtime is goin to be great for them ... they should have plently of money by the time they go home ....lol .. that is if they save it ...

I thought I read that they get paid straight time no matter how many hours they work? Still, straight time for 10 hrs vs 8 is still extra money!

I sure hope we hear soon! I think it was Melanie heard after only 10 days or so! She had her interview on Friday and my son had his on the following Monday, so I hope he hears soon!

He is going to work at our local zoo this summer, so he's thinking it will be good experience for Disney (sortof a mini theme park).

I thought I read that they get paid straight time no matter how many hours they work? Still, straight time for 10 hrs vs 8 is still extra money!

I sure hope we hear soon! I think it was Melanie heard after only 10 days or so! She had her interview on Friday and my son had his on the following Monday, so I hope he hears soon!

He is going to work at our local zoo this summer, so he's thinking it will be good experience for Disney (sortof a mini theme park).

Unless things have changed since I left the company, it was standard to pay time and a half (sorry, said overtime but meant time and a half)for anything over an 8 hour shift. This was of course back in 2004 so things may be different but I do believe it might still be like this now. In any case, I do hear that QSFB cast are pretty busy so I am hoping that she might actually have money at the end of the program....but boy she sure likes to shop!!!

It does seem that they may have the ability to work overtime/time and a half. From the Disney careerstart website:

Pay
On top of all of the great opportunities the Disney CareerStart Program offers, this is a paid experience!

Hourly Wage
While on the program, a Cast Member's wage will be between $7.21 and $8.56 per hour, based on the role that he or she is selected to perform. Cast Members may be eligible for premium pay in select roles.

Hours/Full Availability
Participants must have full work availability, which includes working days, nights, weekends and holidays. Participants also must be flexible to work any time of day, including early morning or after midnight, and may be scheduled to work overtime.

Overtime
Any work over 40 hours per week, or 8 hours per day (unless otherwise noted at a work location), is considered overtime and paid at time-and-a-half.

Well, we did a little CS clothes shopping this weekend. Nicholas needed khakis and a dress shirt for Traditions, and some new sneakers.
Since he has done 1 year of college (last year), we still have all of his dorm stuff in the attic ready to go to Disney- stuff for the bathroom, sheets, mattress pad, fan, etc.

We heard about Career Start after looking at the College Program. We learned about the CP back when Nick was about 10 or 11 years old- and he has always wanted to do that.
He is so undecided about what he wants to do career-wise. And his 1 year of photography school was less than terrific. Room mate issues with drugs and a terrible job market for free lance photographers unless you want to do weddings made it very unappealing for him.
So it seemed CS was perfect!!

We have been going to WDW since Nicholas was 18 months old! It was every couple of years at first. Then in 2000 we bought into DVC and now it's once a year with the kids and once or twice more for me and DH!
Nicholas knows WDW inside and out. He's been to all of the parks many, many times, including the water parks and Downtown Disney. We've even stayed at most of the resorts over the years. For all these kids on the program who haven't been very often or in the recent past- Nicholas is your tour guide! :thumbsup2

Oh- and I really LOVE the idea of a Career End Program!!! Wouldn't that be cool! :cool2:

They are all going to be on the hunt for giant bulletin boards now!:rotfl: If anyone finds any giant ones, please let me know!

hey i have a question, how come when i tried bookinga two night stay(i'm not sure if that's what we are doing i was just checking it out) at pop century it said the rooms were 97 dollars a night even though it says on the page that its a value week so it should be 82?

Just a quick idea so I don't forget! If they get a bulletin board with a wooden frame, they could screw in some...or lots...of the tea cup hooks along the bottom and hang a calendar or other things from the hooks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter