Disney could learn a thing or 2 from Universal

xipotec

Grinning Ghosts
I just saw my vacation package dropped in price, so did a online chat (2 minutes) and they told me to call CS and they could help with the change.

In 5 minutes I was speaking to Johnathan who made the adjustment AND put us in a deluxe room as an addition.

No hours long holds, or difficult to manage changes or inflexible rule.

Awesome Job Universal….

That's great that you had a good experience, but I have to disagree with your statement that Disney can learn a thing or two from Universal, based on my own recent experience with UO.

I have a trip to WDW planned for April and was considering adding on a few nights prior at UO. I ended up booking a package online at RPR for three nights but was kind of on the fence since it was exceptionally expensive and ultimately it was MUCH cheaper to just add on three nights at Disney. I went back online later that same day to cancel the package at UO, only to find the package could not be cancelled online, I had to call. So I called and was told my $200 deposit would be refunded in 7-8 WEEKS. I was astounded and thought I heard incorrectly but when I questioned, "weeks, not days??," the agent said they are busy and it takes 7-8 WEEKS for my refund. I told him that was completely unacceptable and really I would think something that should be reported to the BBB. After he assured me there was nothing he could do to expedite, I asked to speak to a supervisor. After leaving me on hold for several minutes, the same agent came back on the line and told me he could expedite my refund and I should expect it on 2-4 WEEKS. At this point I gave up and said fine. I can truly live without the $200 for now, but I still that this is utterly ridiculous and will NOT booking another UO trip unless I am 100% certain we'll be going, if at all. This has left me not really interested in considering UO for future trips.

I just saw my vacation package dropped in price, so did a online chat (2 minutes) and they told me to call CS and they could help with the change.

In 5 minutes I was speaking to Johnathan who made the adjustment AND put us in a deluxe room as an addition.

Awesome Job Universal….
I had a similar positive experience with WDW reservations in November. We had booked Nov 3-6 at Coronado and then Disney introduced an AP or Disney+ discount (I can't remember which now) one quick call to reservations and we had the discounted rate.

That's great that you had a good experience, but I have to disagree with your statement that Disney can learn a thing or two from Universal, based on my own recent experience with UO.

I have a trip to WDW planned for April and was considering adding on a few nights prior at UO. I ended up booking a package online at RPR for three nights but was kind of on the fence since it was exceptionally expensive and ultimately it was MUCH cheaper to just add on three nights at Disney. I went back online later that same day to cancel the package at UO, only to find the package could not be cancelled online, I had to call. So I called and was told my $200 deposit would be refunded in 7-8 WEEKS. I was astounded and thought I heard incorrectly but when I questioned, "weeks, not days??," the agent said they are busy and it takes 7-8 WEEKS for my refund. I told him that was completely unacceptable and really I would think something that should be reported to the BBB. After he assured me there was nothing he could do to expedite, I asked to speak to a supervisor. After leaving me on hold for several minutes, the same agent came back on the line and told me he could expedite my refund and I should expect it on 2-4 WEEKS. At this point I gave up and said fine. I can truly live without the $200 for now, but I still that this is utterly ridiculous and will NOT booking another UO trip unless I am 100% certain we'll be going, if at all. This has left me not really interested in considering UO for future trips.
It says this very clearly in the terms ans conditions when you booked your package…

I also rebooked this same package once before for a better resort option. Cancelled the original ressie, and had the 200 back in about a week.

I think it can take up to that long . but I doubt most of the time it does

It says this very clearly in the terms ans conditions when you booked your package…

Technically, it says "5-6 weeks..." Plus that line is under the "Revisions" section, not "Cancellations."

Neither here nor there, I still that it's ridiculous. I was just putting it out there since you think Disney could learn from Universal, I think it's the other way around, at least as far as this goes.

Awesome Job Universal….
I had the same experience- I wanted to book a cabana at my UO hotel. The number listed was the number of the actual hotel. What a concept!

No….I was referring to the other postwr who said they got in touch with WDW CM’s on the phone “quickly”.

Its pretty well known calling WDW is not a quick phone call.

Your post was hysterical….
Oh thanks! Haha. I appreciate it!

Your experience sounds great - and nice when it comes together like that - but like others - I have had really positive and proactive customer service from Disney.

We booked a private boat tour for fireworks at Epcot. Within 45 minutes of departure, I received a direct call, with a live person, explaining that inclement weather was in the area and they were monitoring as to whether they could depart for the excursion. They indicated there was a chance weather could clear and they would call back with an update 30 minutes later.

Sure enough, they called and said if I was willing to delay my excursion departure, they might still be able to make it happen and they had also checked to see whether the fireworks would still happen at Epcot or had been canceled, but they left it up to me and indicated I would get a full refund if I decided to move on for the evening no questions asked.

I took the gamble as I wanted to go and we were celebrating an anniversary which I mentioned to the person working with me, but alas - only 10 minutes later they canceled it as too unsafe. I received a credit on my Disney Credit Card in 48 hours. And to top it off, I received both an email and a note in my room apologizing for not being able to fulfill the boat tour for our anniversary celebration. I was blown away at the little bit of extra effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter