• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Dining Plan Price Increases

I asked this in another thread, but HOW is it more convenient? It was literally the exact same procedure to use the dining plan as it was to charge something to my room.

I do like that it removes arguments from the kids about what they can order. I also think once it's prepaid, people forget about the list price of the meals and don't have family squabbles over where to go or what they can spend. I have a friend whose husband cancels most of their dining reservations ever single trip. As in, they do one, then he pays, and decides never again. So he cancels the rest. So sometimes it can be just to preserve family unity. ;)

I like the dining plan when it's "free". :p I never have been able to justify paying the price, even with us doing tons of character meals. But I have to admit, once my daughter hit Disney adult prices, paying for those meals really did make me stop and take stock.

I always thought that was kind of discriminatory. Just because I'm staying a POP that means I must not have the credit limit on my AMEX I have when I stay at Grand Floridian.

It is discriminatory...and that's EXACLTY why they do it. They moved the deluxes to 2500 or maybe even 3000 for awhile.

Listen...one of the biggest taboos on the Dis is that the resorts are a "class" system. There were arguments here for many years - long before I ever posted...

But the reality is you are in that system...it's designed...it's deliberate...and it looks like it's gonna get worse.

Within 5 years...I expect there to be a minimum $250 hotel bill to stay on Disney property...it's telegraphed based on recent events.

But the essence of the vacation condo sales pitch as I understand it ... is precisely to blend, conflate, mix up and confuse these two ideas simultaneously: (1) "this is a great vacation" AND (2) "this is a great investment".

It may be either of those ... it may be both. But I think that most people are incapable of holding those two concepts in their mind simultaneously and arriving at a rational, prudent decision. One of the concepts is about SPENDING your money, one of them is about SAVING your money.

OK ... so which is it?

Right...but the misdirection is that "investment" equals future cash.

It's more like buying a car, paying for it and getting 12 years out of it happily. You don't "make" any more money...but those last 5 years are pure gravy you don't have to keep spending on.

I do like that it removes arguments from the kids about what they can order. I also think once it's prepaid, people forget about the list price of the meals and don't have family squabbles over where to go or what they can spend. I have a friend whose husband cancels most of their dining reservations ever single trip. As in, they do one, then he pays, and decides never again. So he cancels the rest. So sometimes it can be just to preserve family unity. ;)

I like the dining plan when it's "free". :p I never have been able to justify paying the price, even with us doing tons of character meals. But I have to admit, once my daughter hit Disney adult prices, paying for those meals really did make me stop and take stock.

I agree with all your points...

...however i have to say that GUY really knows how to relax and party!!

He's so predictable. I feel for my friend every time I help her plan a trip. They have been going for years, and doing the same exact thing. The dining plan would make her life so much easier. But they have a timeshare and usually end up staying offsite, so it's the same story every time.

He's so predictable. I feel for my friend every time I help her plan a trip. They have been going for years, and doing the same exact thing. The dining plan would make her life so much easier. But they have a timeshare and usually end up staying offsite, so it's the same story every time.

Honestly...and this is a vacuum and I apologize...they should not be going to WDW.

It's either the budget, the acceptance of the mentality you need to enjoy it...or both.

Honestly...and this is a vacuum and I apologize...they should not be going to WDW.

It's either the budget, the acceptance of the mentality you need to enjoy it...or both.

Probably not. But my friend is ever optimistic that the next time will be different.

Thankfully it's her issue and not mine, so if she asks, I help.

Although this last trip might have been the nail in the coffin. And it had nothing to do with cancelled ADRs. It had to do with overall satisfaction compared to previous years.

It is discriminatory...and that's EXACLTY why they do it. They moved the deluxes to 2500 or maybe even 3000 for awhile.

Listen...one of the biggest taboos on the Dis is that the resorts are a "class" system. There were arguments here for many years - long before I ever posted...

But the reality is you are in that system...it's designed...it's deliberate...and it looks like it's gonna get worse.

Within 5 years...I expect there to be a minimum $250 hotel bill to stay on Disney property...it's telegraphed based on recent events.

We literally were at our hotel to sleep and to shower. I don't care how much money I have, I would be an utter fool to pay $600 a night to sleep. Ain't no bed that comfortable!

We didn't even see our hotel except for the food court and the path to the room and buses.

We literally were at our hotel to sleep and to shower. I don't care how much money I have, I would be an utter fool to pay $600 a night to sleep. Ain't no bed that comfortable!

We didn't even see our hotel except for the food court and the path to the room and buses.

I get that...and the values supported that concept. The moderates use to as well (no longer)...

But it's part of a bigger strategy: they want their customers to be "ok" with accepting whatever they deem to be reasonable across all lines...that's rooms, tickets, food and...attacking on the back quarter post and new to the race...the upsells and special ticket events.

You can't "selectively" attend this party...that's the way I see it. If anybody wants to give me a glimmer of hope for them NOT to wanting to eliminate what's left of the middle class clientele...I'm all elephant ears on this one.

Probably not. But my friend is ever optimistic that the next time will be different.

Thankfully it's her issue and not mine, so if she asks, I help.

Although this last trip might have been the nail in the coffin. And it had nothing to do with cancelled ADRs. It had to do with overall satisfaction compared to previous years.

I feel for her. Disappointment is hard to deal with/accept whether your 50 years old, 5 years old, or a puppy. It cuts deep indescrimiantly.

She should - honestly - demand what she wants and not take any junk about it...just once. I'm sure she's earned it. I hope she's not resigned herself to the 53%...

I wish I could disagree, but I can't. Before, the off site hotels were taking the business because Disney didn't have enough rooms. Then, they added more rooms, but the off-sites had bigger rooms and more inclusives, so Disney competed with that. Now, Disney isn't marketing the hotels as a place to have a comfortable stay while enjoying your destination, now they're making the hotels the destination themselves with some easy access to theme parks. It's going to be a "privilege" to stay on property, but that mentality is already driving the park visitor to see other places, hence the drops in park attendance.

Well then we must be real party animals because we never have ADR's.

I wish I could disagree, but I can't. Before, the off site hotels were taking the business because Disney didn't have enough rooms. Then, they added more rooms, but the off-sites had bigger rooms and more inclusives, so Disney competed with that. Now, Disney isn't marketing the hotels as a place to have a comfortable stay while enjoying your destination, now they're making the hotels the destination themselves with some easy access to theme parks. It's going to be a "privilege" to stay on property, but that mentality is already driving the park visitor to see other places, hence the drops in park attendance.

Well then we must be real party animals because we never have ADR's.

I really do feel this is a HUGE thing that the execs are not factoring in. I've said it before, but to me, if I'm not staying on site (even if offsite means Disney Springs offsite area), I WILL spend less days at the parks and buy less Disney stuff. Part of staying on site is the constant feeling of being immersed in Disney. Going off site, I don't feel that, and I will venture elsewhere and try different things, and I very much doubt I'm alone in that thought process.

Even with character meals, I have a tough time coming out ahead. I get it if you do Norway and Garden Grill. But beyond that, I don't know. I mean, Cape May/Ohana are like $35 max (usually less). That means you need to find around an $8 snack and a $24 Quick Service just to break even. Essentially, if you factor in $20 for a QS (which is still probably too high) and a $5 snack, you would need your TS to average $42 (and not be a 2 credit meal). I have had it work for us, but only when it is a "Free Dining" promotion and only at the moderates. And even then, we really use it to try places we normally don't go, and we usually do 1-2 character meals with our little one. And raising prices just makes it harder to come out ahead.
Ohana is $60 at dinner.

Why not just put the money into savings in advance and use it to pay off the amount?

I'm being serious and not trying to be snarky. If it's just a matter of having the cost covered in advance, wouldn't it make more sense that way, especially if the dining plan would actually cost more?
Because if you don't budget correctly you are hosed.

It's "convenient" because it's prepaid...but that's low brow.

It is falling into the trap. If I know there consumer tracking (and I do)...the main advantage to prepayment (other than banked revenue) is that it leads to outbid pocket on lower margin things: gift shop crap.

Now add up sells in the planning process. Why are these dining packages or special events often released 2 months or less in advance?
I am happily low brow then. Thanks for the compliment!

Ohana is $60 at dinner.

Ok...I just spit on my dashboard...that's twice today.

If the kids want characters and care little for skewered meat...it's not at dinner

$60...might as well do the luau...foods not bad and you get the fire tosser.

Last edited:
Here is a sample spreadsheet of dining options that work for us. YRMV actually YRWV!

Attachments

• Sample Food Plan Comparison.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 28
Ok maybe I'm a "dining plan defender" and "low brow" BUT the 2 times I was on the dining plan it was the regular (1 QS, 1 TS) and I emjoyed it! have been when I was new and wanted to try table service and not have sticker shock at the table. Maybe I'm not rich enough like some people here, but I still keep an eye on how much I'm spending when I go on a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter