Disney Dining Plan Question

brad813

DIS Veteran
Right now, I am planning to get the Deluxe Dining Package for the one or two nights I will be on property(splitting my stay so I will be able to save some money). I know I can book it with a room only since I will have an AP(I may or may not purchase a Tables In Wonderland card for the rest of the trip as well as the following two I have planned.). I do have a couple of questions though. First, when do the credits expire? Secondly, what exactly counts as a snack? Lastly, can you redeem both snack credits at once, if you chose? I thought about using it to buy two snack/side items in the place of a full lunch, if that’s possible.

Last edited:
Your credits will expire at midnight on your check-out day of whichever reservation the dining plan is attached to. Your credits are pooled so you can use as many as you want in a single transaction. Mousesavers has a pretty good, general explanation as to what is considered a snack. You will see a little symbol on the menus (or in stores) signifying if something counts as a snack. https://www.mousesavers.com/disney-dining-plan-tips-and-tricks/#snack

Right now, I am planning to get the Deluxe Dining Package for the one or two nights I will be on property(splitting my stay so I will be able to save some money). I know I can book it with a room only since I will have an AP(I may or may not purchase a Tables In Wonderland card for the rest of the trip as well as the following two I have planned.). I do have a couple of questions though. First, when do the credits expire? Secondly, what exactly counts as a snack? Lastly, can you redeem both snack credits at once, if you chose? I thought about using it to buy two snack/side items in the place of a full lunch, if that’s possible.

Credits expire at midnight on the day you check-out.

Check the snack credit sticky over on the dining plan sub-forum. allearsnet.com also has the purple snack logo next to snack items on their menus.

You can redeem 100 snack credits at one time if you so choose and you have that many. All credits are yours to use at any time during your dining plan stay.

Thanks. I am new to this. I can’t afford to stay on property the whole time but was thinking about bookending my trip with one night on each end. You’ve been a lot of help. I was think for my first MK day since I have a heavy breakfast and dinner I could use my snack credits to assemble a light lunch.

I would really recommend doing the math on this if you are considering buying the TIW card. I've found as an AP holder that I saved much more money utilizing my AP and TIW discounts than I would have by purchasing a dining plan.

I would really recommend doing the math on this if you are considering buying the TIW card. I've found as an AP holder that I saved much more money utilizing my AP and TIW discounts than I would have by purchasing a dining plan.

You misunderstood. I would not be purchasing a dining plan the whole time. I would only be staying on property for a day at each end, so those only be the dining plan eligible days. My arrival day I have plans for Sanaa and 1900 Park Fare, with plans for Kona Cafe and Tony's the next day. I have a friend who is traveling with me though we are paying separately. By my figures, that first night I would be saving $40.75 with the TIW card, but I would save $75 with the Disney Dining Plan. I assumed a very likely adult beverage in with each meal, given that the 2018 plan does include them, so that I could compare as closely as possible. Of course, I don't have desserts added into the TIW figures since I don't really order desserts if I am paying out of pocket. I have taken every aspect of my eating habits into account in the math that I ran. My accommodation plan for my trip is April 21-22 on property, move off property for most of the week(since the other party has no wish to take advantage of EMH), then returning for another night on either April 27th or April 28th, depending on when I return home. I also know that I will be returning to Disney in September or October of 2018, and again early 2019(before my pass expiration) to combine a cruise and Disney vacation. I was asking the questions primarily to verify what I believed I understood was correct, and to gain clarification on some hazy issues. If I was staying on property the whole week, it would not be worth it, but for a couple of my more expensive days, I see there may be enough value in it.

You misunderstood. I would not be purchasing a dining plan the whole time. I would only be staying on property for a day at each end, so those only be the dining plan eligible days. My arrival day I have plans for Sanaa and 1900 Park Fare, with plans for Kona Cafe and Tony's the next day. I have a friend who is traveling with me though we are paying separately. By my figures, that first night I would be saving $40.75 with the TIW card, but I would save $75 with the Disney Dining Plan. I assumed a very likely adult beverage in with each meal, given that the 2018 plan does include them, so that I could compare as closely as possible. Of course, I don't have desserts added into the TIW figures since I don't really order desserts if I am paying out of pocket. I have taken every aspect of my eating habits into account in the math that I ran. My accommodation plan for my trip is April 21-22 on property, move off property for most of the week(since the other party has no wish to take advantage of EMH), then returning for another night on either April 27th or April 28th, depending on when I return home. I also know that I will be returning to Disney in September or October of 2018, and again early 2019(before my pass expiration) to combine a cruise and Disney vacation. I was asking the questions primarily to verify what I believed I understood was correct, and to gain clarification on some hazy issues. If I was staying on property the whole week, it would not be worth it, but for a couple of my more expensive days, I see there may be enough value in it.

No, I didn't misunderstand. I was simply suggesting you run the numbers before making your decision, which you have done and came up with the best plan for your trip scenario. For our trips, AP discount and TIW always saved us more money. For your scenario, you discovered the DXDP will work best - great! Enjoy!

No, I didn't misunderstand. I was simply suggesting you run the numbers before making your decision, which you have done and came up with the best plan for your trip scenario. For our trips, AP discount and TIW always saved us more money. For your scenario, you discovered the DXDP will work best - great! Enjoy!

Well, for those particular days. The days in between I have yet to determine the best route, but given there won't be as many table service then, it will be likely other discounts would be the most beneficial then.

I would only be staying on property for a day at each end, so those only be the dining plan eligible days. My arrival day I have plans for Sanaa and 1900 Park Fare, with plans for Kona Cafe and Tony's the next day. I have a friend who is traveling with me though we are paying separately. By my figures, that first night I would be saving $40.75 with the TIW card, but I would save $75 with the Disney Dining Plan.

I'm a little concerned about your math. If you only stay one night, you only get 3 TS meals and 2 snacks. You have 4 TS meals listed here and none of them are very expensive. The plan will cost you $116, but I don't see how you could have almost $200 worth of food in 3 out of these 4. Which meal are you eating at these and which one will you pay OOP?

I'm a little concerned about your math. If you only stay one night, you only get 3 TS meals and 2 snacks. You have 4 TS meals listed here and none of them are very expensive. The plan will cost you $116, but I don't see how you could have almost $200 worth of food in 3 out of these 4. Which meal are you eating at these and which one will you pay OOP?

Kona I would pay out of pocket, which would work out to around $36. The value I would get out of the other three would be around $60(Sanaa), $55(if the pricing for 1900 Park Fare is on point), and Tony's would be roughly $50-$60. I included the cost of an adult beverage since it will now be included with the plans, and I do prefer them with meals. Now, my assumption on the snack credits would be that it would amount to roughly $15-$20 for the total value, but that is give or take there, so my calculations may be slightly off. The factor that drives up the value I can get is that they are now allowing more expensive beverage inclusions with the meals. Do remember also that the deluxe plan includes an appetizer, entree, and dessert, where the standard dining plan only includes entree and dessert, so I did the math assuming the most expensive options I would order. Probably about a $20 margin of error at the most. The snack credits are really what I haven't figured out just yet.

The value I would get out of the other three would be around $60(Sanaa), $55(if the pricing for 1900 Park Fare is on point), and Tony's would be roughly $50-$60. I included the cost of an adult beverage since it will now be included with the plans, and I do prefer them with meals. Now, my assumption on the snack credits would be that it would amount to roughly $15-$20 for the total value, but that is give or take there, so my calculations may be slightly off

So it looks like Sanaa and Tony's pretty much "pays" for the plan, so 1900 Park Fare and your snacks are essentially free.

For others who may come along and see the prices, assuming 1900 is breakfast, the actual cost is right at $40 per adult and most snacks are in the $5 range, so two snacks would be $10, not $15-20.

So it looks like Sanaa and Tony's pretty much "pays" for the plan, so 1900 Park Fare and your snacks are essentially free.

For others who may come along and see the prices, assuming 1900 is breakfast, the actual cost is right at $40 per adult and most snacks are in the $5 range, so two snacks would be $10, not $15-20.

I figured I might be a little off on the snacks. Didn't have time to check and average. Now, 1900 Park Fare, in my case, will be dinner, for arrival day. My travel companion is a picky eater, where I tend to be more adventurous. I figured it was a safe assumption there that it would be $50-$55 in April for dinner, like I found on allears.net

I believe there is a 2 night minimum when getting the dining plan, you may want to check into that.

I believe there is a 2 night minimum when getting the dining plan, you may want to check into that.
That is incorrect. Dining plan does not have a 2 night minimum stay. There is often a minimum stay requirement on a free dining promotion

I figured I might be a little off on the snacks. Didn't have time to check and average. Now, 1900 Park Fare, in my case, will be dinner, for arrival day. My travel companion is a picky eater, where I tend to be more adventurous. I figured it was a safe assumption there that it would be $50-$55 in April for dinner, like I found on allears.net

So, which meals are breakfast and lunch? You only have one night, so that's only two dinners possible.

And dinner at 1900 is $50 per adult.

That is a lot of food in 1 day. When we go we tend to eat breakfast at the food court, maybe a lunch but sometimes we just get a snack and then a table service dinner. We are so full with just this. We don't get apps either as we only get the regular plan. 4 table services and the 2 snacks is a lot. Plus you will not have time to ride many rides or see the shows. You will spend about 1 to 1.5 hours in each restaurant plus the travel to each one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter