DISNEY DREAM 5-nights May 29th, 2011

I have to confess that we took our boys through the quiet cove area, only because we got on the forward elevator trying to get up to the pool deck and somehow we ended up coming out right by the adult pool. We kept the boys quiet and got out as fast as we could. Also, to get to the family deck and the front of the ship there was no other way than by going up the steps in the adult area. Not a great layout by any means.

I didn't have a problem with that, per say, like you said poor layout and no choice... but the parents who stopped to play with their kids in the pool, take up lounging space, dipping into the adult hot tub--- or stopped in the middle of the adult area to deal with a vacation meltdown.... why bother having an adult only section?

Ah yes the hot tubs~

in case anyone was wondering - those of us in the staterooms below the adult hot tubs could see quite clearly into them via the skyglass windows. :eek:

only sit on the side of those things;)

I agree about contacting them with our concerns. Mine is going out this weekend. I think the majority of un-wowed cruisers are past Disney cruisers who have the magic and wonder to compare it to. We had a great time too but will not be rushing back to the Dream. I hope they learn from their mistakes and fix it on the Fantasy.

I bet you are right on this one. Since the Dream is the only Disney ship we have been on, we loved it. Had nothing to compare it to, so that helped us alot. In fact, we are now afraid to book the Magic because we feel it wouldn't live up to our experiences on the Dream. When my son heard "no Aquaduck" he said no way to a cruise on any ship without one. But, the prices for a 5 day Magic cruise are about half of the Dream so we may check it out and see.

Flechette -- OMG about the hot tubs :scared1:

Saw this group and have to ask....which dining rotation should I request for the 5 night double dip? We leave in two weeks! Getting excited!!

We went into this cruise telling ourselves not to compare it to the Magic and Wonder. And in not doing so, we had a fabulous time, loved our staff, etc. I didn't really feel crowded at all...except I thought Animators was cramped quarters and for some reason the wait staff sure seemed to run more ragged in there.

It's funny because our first DCL was a 3 night and we decided that wasn't long enough. We did a 7 night which seemed plenty long enough...thought 5 night would be perfect but still could have used another day or two :)

One thing I thought was interesting is that our head waiter guy came over to talk in depth to us on the 2nd night, and wrote a lot of notes from our feedback. He spent a lot more time at our table than the others...so I guess our past cruise experience, etc hit home with him. He really seemed way more involved in checking the guest expectations AND in helping his staff than any other head waiter I've seen.

And to those asking for a TA... I am one and would love to help you with a DCL. Thanks for the plug Chuck :) I :love: my Disney clients especially because I get to live vicariously through them when I'm in between my own Disney trips :)

Have a great day!

I agree about contacting them with our concerns. Mine is going out this weekend. I think the majority of un-wowed cruisers are past Disney cruisers who have the magic and wonder to compare it to. We had a great time too but will not be rushing back to the Dream. I hope they learn from their mistakes and fix it on the Fantasy.

While onboard, we had the opportunity to go to the Gold/Platinum Castaway Club meeting. Many of the ships' officers were there, and they were asking people what they thought of the Dream. When we were approached, we mentioned a few issues that have been mentioned on this thread.

We were told that DCL has heard many "concerns" about the pool situation, specifically the small size of the family pool (I told them I actually thought it was dangerously small, especially after seeing kids jumping in & on top of each other). We also mentioned that we weren't crazy about the odd shape of the adult pool, and that it was too small. We mentioned that there was an awful lot of traffic through that area as well.

Both of the officers we spoke to said that DCL is taking all of this into consideration, and that we'll see some positive changes on the Fantasy as a result.

Fingers crossed, I suppose.

I also thought it was a bit strange that the aft elevators dumped you right into Cabanas.

Anyway, we're excited to be going back on the Magic next year. It'll be nice to be on the smaller ship again :)

I have no complaints...:thumbsup2 This was our 4th Disney cruise and we thought it was fantastic...
Josie loved the Edge and I never saw her after dinner till 1:00am each night...:goodvibes She had so much fun!!

I loved all the areas I could go and just sit and have the area too myself...I never had a problem getting a deck chair even near the jumbo screen area..I like deck 12 over the main pool deck.

I enjoyed the movies they played and I loved the shows in the theatre...
Palo was heaven...This trip was a "dream" for us...I feel very lucky too have gotten too sail on such a fabulous ship....:cloud9:

I am not picky though..It does not take much too make me happy...As long as I am not at work....I am happy lol....:rolleyes1

We did book the Dream again for 2012.:rotfl:

While onboard, we had the opportunity to go to the Gold/Platinum Castaway Club meeting. Many of the ships' officers were there, and they were asking people what they thought of the Dream. When we were approached, we mentioned a few issues that have been mentioned on this thread.

I'm only a silver member so I didn't get invited to the Castaway Club meeting (I'm not thrilled with that, but anyway....). Can you tell me a little about what the meeting was like?

Robert

I'm only a silver member so I didn't get invited to the Castaway Club meeting (I'm not thrilled with that, but anyway....). Can you tell me a little about what the meeting was like?

Robert

This was our first cruise as gold members, so that's why we were included.

The captain, and about 6-10 officers, plus the "one & only Titanium Castaway Club Member" (Mickey) are there. Basically, everyone got together in one of the clubs, and the officers mingled throughout the group & asked what everyone thought of the Dream. People were very honest. The captain spoke for a few minutes, thanked everyone for being DCL fans, and then we watched a short film about the making of the Dream. Then the CD, Rachel, spoke for a while. Snacks were included.

That was about it!

Hey gang!

I'm not sure when/if I'm going to get a TR done on here, but I have started recapping our trip on my blog.

You can read the first post HERE

and on the SECOND INSTALLMENT that I posted today, I am giving away a custom necklace/magnet similar to what I gave out in the FE Exchange (except you get to pick the picture!).

Stop on by for a visit! :cool1:

Hey gang!

I'm not sure when/if I'm going to get a TR done on here, but I have started recapping our trip on my blog.

and on the SECOND INSTALLMENT that I posted today, I am giving away a custom necklace/magnet similar to what I gave out in the FE Exchange (except you get to pick the picture!).

I love the pics of your daughter crashed on the floor, and the one of you on the verandah - beautiful!

Hi all. We got home early sunday morning after having a 'Chuck and Mark' type trip into Philly!! Not as exciting as their travel to Florida though. We were delayed 2 hours, boarded, was told there was a problem on the plane, deboarded (unboarded?), got our boarding passes back, waited for 1/2 hour then boarded a different plane and off we went 3 hours later. Arrived home at 3am. The tree house villas are WONDERFUL. Of course having a car helped!!

Sorry we did not get to meet most of you on the Dream. Lost track of time and were traveling with a non-DIS couple. Loved all our FE gifts and had a workout walking the ship to deliver ours!!

We had a great time and did find oursvleves comparing the 3 ships. Our friends were blown away. It was their first Disney cruise and they can't wait to book another.

Had some issues with the cruise as well. I asked the concierge for an email address as there was not enough room on the survey to include the items I wanted to mention. I listed about 10 things we observed and received a reply the same as a previous poster. The address I was given is dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com in case any one wants to use it.

The adult pool area, as most had mentioned, was one of our issues. I told the conceirge and notice they were carding people after that.

I also agree about walking through Cabanas. We went to Palo in formal wear and I had us walk down deck 10 to take the elevator. I just couldn't walk through Cabanas in gowns and a tux!

But putting the basketball court above Palo - not smart. There was a constant boucning of balls thduring bruncha nd dinner. Our server, Nicole, told us the area was to be closed during Palo hours - rules not being enforced again!!

We did not experience issues on Serenity Bay with rowdie people or under age patrons.

Our assitant server was also new and not real swift. But our head server and server were constantly yelling at him rather than taking time with him. That upset us.

I like Artists Palate on the Magic and Wonder better ... Crush never spoke to me!! ;)

The deck around the aquaduck - HOT - there must be some way to keep that area cool for delicate feet!!

Enough for now. As usual I am writing during work!! FYI - another thread we had for our 2005 cruise is still alive. People do post occasionally! Will look on FB.

There is more activity on this thread than the one I am on for the Fantasy next year. :confused: Hope it picks up, I really enjoy the chatting and meeting everyone. Although I have no problem with talking to anyone..... :lmao: if it doesn't get more active.

I like Artists Palate on the Magic and Wonder better ... Crush never spoke to me!! ;)

The deck around the aquaduck - HOT - there must be some way to keep that area cool for delicate feet!!

I agree with you about Animator's Palate. Crush didn't talk to us either and it just didn't make any sense to me to have all the Finding Nemo stuff in a "traditional" animator's studio.

As for the deck around the AquaDuck, the place on Deck 12 just before you start going up the staircase had a carpet on it when we first rode (afternoon on first Castaway Cay day). We were told that if you stand on the Donald footprints on the stairs it is a little more bearable.

Robert

Hey gang!

I'm enjoying reading about your cruise. Let us know when there's more to read! (I'm doing my own trip report, on this board).

By the way, I'm surprised by your late boarding. We arrived at the terminal before noon but didn't board until about 1:30.

Robert

What's funny about the Crush interaction, we could have done without the interaction if my 11-year old daughter had anything to say about it. Several years ago, when Crush first came to the Living Seas at EPCOT, she was traumatized when Crush called on her during the show. So when it came to our first night's dinner at Animator's, our table was right by one of the larger screens, and she immediately sat in the seat that had her back to the screen, with the hope that he wouldn't interact with someone who had their back to them. Of course, since she didn't want Crush to notice her or pick her out, I'm sure you can guess what happened.

Yes, Crush initiated with her right away. It was awesome, because she told him she didn't want to talk to him, and the way Crush played off that was great. One of the great memories from our trip.

The foot-burning deck was unbelievable! We wanted to do the Aquaduck as soon as we boarded (group 3), before it got crowded. So we go immediately up to deck 11, find some chairs, grab some towels, then take off our shoes... WOW, super hot! We really had a hard time getting from our chairs to the mat that is laid down at the entrance to the Aquaduck line. I don't remember the deck being that hot when we did the Magic cruise.

What's funny about the Crush interaction, we could have done without the interaction if my 11-year old daughter had anything to say about it. Several years ago, when Crush first came to the Living Seas at EPCOT, she was traumatized when Crush called on her during the show. So when it came to our first night's dinner at Animator's, our table was right by one of the larger screens, and she immediately sat in the seat that had her back to the screen, with the hope that he wouldn't interact with someone who had their back to them. Of course, since she didn't want Crush to notice her or pick her out, I'm sure you can guess what happened.

Yes, Crush initiated with her right away. It was awesome, because she told him she didn't want to talk to him, and the way Crush played off that was great. One of the great memories from our trip.

The foot-burning deck was unbelievable! We wanted to do the Aquaduck as soon as we boarded (group 3), before it got crowded. So we go immediately up to deck 11, find some chairs, grab some towels, then take off our shoes... WOW, super hot! We really had a hard time getting from our chairs to the mat that is laid down at the entrance to the Aquaduck line. I don't remember the deck being that hot when we did the Magic cruise.

I noticed the decks were very hot too. When I first went to the upper deck of the adult area to get some sun I relaxed for a while then headed down to the pool. I must have looked likea crazy person the way I had to run down the steps and get my feet wet:lmao: Doing that crazy hot feet dance.

I wore my water shoes on the AquaDuck. No hot feet. If they would have told me to take them off I would have held them, but they didn't seem to have a problem with them.

I wore my water shoes on the AquaDuck. No hot feet. If they would have told me to take them off I would have held them, but they didn't seem to have a problem with them.

Same here. They let both DH and I keep our shoes on!

The portions of the deck that are in direct sunlight get incredibly HOT. I don't remember the decks on the other ships being so crazy hot. They must've used some sort of different composite on these decks (??).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter