Disney fan does RCL

I read your trip report since I was on the fence about whether we made the right choice going with DCL. I think we absolutely did for us, though maybe not for others. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the picture of the shower! You weren't kidding it was small, but I had no idea so small. I don't think I could fit in that, let alone try to wash a squirmy toddler in one.
Don’t worry, you can fit, but you’ll inevitably bump into something at least once. Also your toiletries will fall from the shower tray unless you stick a facecloth on there first.

The fact that there were so many kids in adult shows and activities suggests to me that the kids programming is not as good. Also a red flag for me.
I like adventure ocean versus oceaneers better, but there are definitely less kids that use the kids clubs on Royal versus DCL. I don’t recall if there’s a quota or not though.

Also somewhat odd that the bed was right next to the balcony. Did it make it a squeeze to get outside?
It’s a little bit tight to get outside, but on Allure and Oasis the closet location makes this a more desirable configuration for me. It’s not as big a deal on Harmony and Symphony, as they have the closets around the bed.

I agree the hours were GREAT! No closing at lunch, etc. However, not one counselor learned my kids' names, they were very disinterested at dropoff and pickup, and I never saw any of them actually interacting with my kids. And my kids went every single day of our 7 day cruise.

What I mean by the level of interaction isn't so much that they don't offer activities - absolutely they do - but they don't really do much to encourage kids to participate. I sent my kids a couple of times for specific activities listed in the Navigator but each time, my kids came back having no idea that that activity even happened. That's b/c the staff didn't actually approach any of the kids to ask them to participate. I learned that I had to tell my oldest to actively go and ask when activity X was starting so that he and his brothers could participate. On other lines we have been on, my kids came out every time with some new craft or having done some group activity. It's just different on DCL, I am not saying it is bad, and like I said my kids really enjoyed their downtime there. I'm not suggesting that children should be forced to do any kind of activity, but had the counselors gotten to know my kids they would have seen them gravitate toward ipads and they could have, for example, intercepted them to suggest that they do something else. I absolutely accept that my kids were engrossed in the ipads, I was just a bit perplexed to see that no one ever encouraged them to do anything else.

That was exactly our experience too. (Except for the iPads. He spent all his time in Andy's Room instead.) Our son had a great time but didn't participate in anything unless the schedule worked for us to drop him off at exactly the time it started and physically bring him to the activity. A 7-year old is not going to remember to check on something happening in 30 minutes.

The other thing they didn't communicate well was that children couldn't participate in activities during Open House without a parent there.

That was exactly our experience too. (Except for the iPads. He spent all his time in Andy's Room instead.) Our son had a great time but didn't participate in anything unless the schedule worked for us to drop him off at exactly the time it started and physically bring him to the activity. A 7-year old is not going to remember to check on something happening in 30 minutes.

The other thing they didn't communicate well was that children couldn't participate in activities during Open House without a parent there.
This is so sad to hear! We have sailed DCL since 2002 and back then our son participated in the clubs (he is an adult now). He loved them and all the counselors knew his name and I saw every child being included in whatever craft etc., they were doing. I wonder if the amount of children in the clubs is now just too overwhelming, or if DCL is hiring indifferent counselors? Whatever the reason, it is too bad because they used to have the best kids program afloat.

There were certainly a lot of kids. And a lot of counselors, but that doesn't really help with the individual ones learning names. I was really fine with how it operated. He was happy. And really, all the articles say many kids' days are too structured anymore, so it was probably best for him to do his own thing. They probably do point kids at activities when they complain about being bored or are just sitting around.

We'll be on Emerald Princess a week from Sunday, so I can report back how that line is...

(Note: We have only done one RCCL cruise on Serenade of the Seas. It was our least favorite cruise that we have done. We left the ship calling it the "Excuses of the Seas" and that has soured us on RCCL, however, we would like to try one of the big ships at some point in time... BUT... we took Carnival Sunshine a couple of years ago and really preferred Carnival to RCCL - I know, right? - especially where the Food was concerned. However, I think it may have been the ship, so we'd like to try one of the bigger RCCL ships)

I went on Princess once (the old Regal Princess) - loved it. Hoping to get on another Princess ship next year.

I just want to restate that the above user's experience was not at all like my experience of the kid's clubs. Several of the counselors knew my daughter by name. They also knew where she liked to hang out and talked with me happily when I checked her in or out. We were traveling during the off season so that may make a difference. I certainly wouldn't book another line because you are worried about DCL kid's club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter