• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Genie announcement

So is Genie+ something you purchase at the same time as your tickets as part of that process or through MDE? I assume there must be some way to add these options if you've already purchased tickets for upcoming trips.:confused3

As the planner of our family, I hate that I now have to wake up at 7am each day if we opt to use this. I don't want to WING my park day were I already have dining reservations and park pass for. Let me book my options in advance lol

Yup. This is every trip planner’s worst nightmare. Ok, the Disney Genie might be the worst, but the Genie+ is a close second. No way am I going to let an app dictate the most “efficient” day by planning where I should go, and when. No app is that smart.

Yup. This is every trip planner’s worst nightmare. Ok, the Disney Genie might be the worst, but the Genie+ is a close second. No way am I going to let an app dictate the most “efficient” day by planning where I should go, and when. No app is that smart.

Exactly! and let's be real, Disney isn't interested in making a efficient plan where I wait less and spend less. Its more apt to send me where it wants so I end up spending MORE time and MORE money.

If you can only make one at a time what's the benefit to the resort guests booking at 7am? Are these going to be very limited. So people will be paying an upcharge of 15/person and taking only whats available? Sounds miserable.

I can't believe how much Disney is nickel and diming everyone, its really turning me off. SO much that used to be included is now an upcharge and there is zero reason to stay on site and pay ridiculous inflated hotel prices if there are no longer tangible benefits.

Wait--- so you get the THRILL of having to wake up at the butt-crack of dawn on your vacation- and you can only make ONE at a time? I assumed you would be able to do both? When would you book the other? Once you are in the park? And what about the tier 1's ? When would you buy/book those ? This just gets better and better. Nice job Disney !!

arent we just paying for the lines we were already standing in for Standby?
I can see the Genie pitch now.

“What if we get them to pay to make them think they are avoiding a line, but in reality, they will spend the same time waiting to actually ride”

“oh so kinda like when we started closing the parks early and charging a second admission for shorter lines?”

“yep, also like when we charged to get a better “view” of fireworks”

“but what if they complain?”

“so what. They always complain, but then just accept it”

“meeting adjourned”

“What if we get them to pay to make them think they are avoiding a line, but in reality, they will spend the same time waiting to actually ride”

“oh so kinda like when we started closing the parks early and charging a second admission for shorter lines?”

“meeting adjourned”
LMAO

“meeting adjourned”

“And if they don’t like it, they are free to go jump in the lake, because there are five ‘fresh’ families right behind them who have no idea how things used to be and thus won’t complain.”

they’re waiting to see how people react to this news before deciding how much to drop the hammer down.
I think they have a guess but not firm numbers. I bet they may set a ceiling and floor but I’d guess an algorithm is setting the price based on demand that day. The prices at DP aren’t encouraging though.

So much for sleeping in on vacation. If your plan was to hit the park in the afternoon, you either have to get up at 7 a.m. or take your chances that something decent will be when you are ready to go to the park.
If you were sleeping in, won't affect you. You were standing in line all day anyway. #ropedrop

The hyperbole that you either have to pay an insane amount of money to ride a highly popular attraction with little to no wait or stand in a three-hour line with this new system doesn't sit well with me. Those aren't our only two options. They never have been and never will be.

If I couldn't get a FP+ for something like SDD or FoP, I had other choices at my disposal other than just waiting in a three-hour line. I can get in line at rope drop. I can hop in line at park close. I can visit during a time of year that is not as crowded. There were always other options and strategies to minimize waits without using FP if I couldn't get one. I've done it before and will continue to do it.

I'm not thrilled about paying for what was once complimentary. This is not defending Genie or the decisions corporate is making. But man, it's so freaking hard to judge something until I see it in action. How can anyone pretend that they know exactly how the Genie service will change how guests experience the parks?

A summary of new charges for things previously included in our last trip in February '19, assuming we go in Feb '22 (Apr '20 trip cancelled) for our family of 5:

$160 - Roundtrip airport transportation: $32 x 5 "adults" (standard Mears service)
$525 - Genie+ = $15 x 5 x 7 days in the park
$900 - access to Extended Evening Hours (requires upgrading our usual stay in the Cabins at Fort Wilderness to a split stay at the least expensive Deluxe resort for 3 nights requiring 5 people to sleep in 3 beds one of which is a day bed; a 1 bedroom suite would be even more)
$1,400 - A la carte access to 2 top tier rides not included with Genie+ at each park each day = $20 x 5 x 2 x 7 (rumor is a la carte prices ranging from $4 to $24 per ride, per person- assuming top tier rides closer to the $24 price)

$2,985 Total

Would we actually pay $1,400 for 2 a la carte rides each day over a week? Absolutely not but I just wanted to highlight the possible cost. Even $700 for one top tier ride each day is a considerable cost.

Last edited:
A summary of new charges for things previously included in our last trip in February '19, assuming we go in Feb '21 (Apr '20 trip cancelled) for our family of 5:

$160 - Roundtrip airport transportation: $32 x 5 "adults" (standard Mears service)
$525 - Genie+ = $15 x 5 x 7 days in the park
$900 - access to Extended Evening Hours (requires upgrading our usual stay in the Cabins at Fort Wilderness to a split stay at the least expensive Deluxe resort for 3 nights requiring 5 people to sleep in 3 beds one of which is a day bed; a 1 bedroom suite would be even more)
$1,400 - A la carte access to 2 top tier rides not included with Genie+ at each park each day = $20 x 5 x 2 x 7 (rumor is a la carte prices ranging from $4 to $24 per ride, per person- assuming top tier rides closer to the $24 price)

$2,985 Total

Would we actually pay $1,400 for 2 a la carte rides each day over a week? Absolutely not but I just wanted to highlight the possible cost. Even $700 for one top tier ride each day is a considerable cost.

It really is quite insane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter