Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

Well this is happening.

82A7E6ED-B699-4C4D-854B-D0599EC0FF74.jpeg

I went to check allergy menus on the MDE app and got the account deactivated message and just now tried to continue my first watch of Star Wars Rebels on D+ and it kicked me out on my Apple TV. Really feeling for people in the parks right now. And guest services bearing the brunt of Disney’s totally incompetent IT.

Looks great, but man, that costume must be a chore to wear!

It'd be cool if they could put this in the American parks but I can't imagine trundling around in that thing when it's 100+ degrees out and 98% humidity.
It's almost never actually 100+ degrees in Florida. People need to stop conflating temperature and heat index.

Well this is happening.

View attachment 745279

I went to check allergy menus on the MDE app and got the account deactivated message and just now tried to continue my first watch of Star Wars Rebels on D+ and it kicked me out on my Apple TV. Really feeling for people in the parks right now. And guest services bearing the brunt of Disney’s totally incompetent IT.
They are not incompetent. If they were this stuff would literally not work at all. What they do is incredibly complex for a single app/experience. Doing it across multiple apps and physical locations with geo fencing and dealing with all the people that share accounts makes this all mind blowingly difficult. I get the frustration, services should be up and working and when they aren't it sucks, but take a minute to think about the engineers that have likely been up working on an issue like this 24/7 since it broke.

They are not incompetent. If they were this stuff would literally not work at all. What they do is incredibly complex for a single app/experience. Doing it across multiple apps and physical locations with geo fencing and dealing with all the people that share accounts makes this all mind blowingly difficult. I get the frustration, services should be up and working and when they aren't it sucks, but take a minute to think about the engineers that have likely been up working on an issue like this 24/7 since it broke.
I work in IT for a living, for the single largest municipality in the US, dealing with complex webs of systems including legacies. And this is pure incompetence. Whether it’s from the devs, product owners, QA or PMs, someone—likely multiple someones—dropped the ball. I don’t understand how this release got validated. I really don’t. Breaking authentication isn’t exactly a Day 2 issue.

If my organization was as continually feckless as this lot heads would be rolling, but Disney can’t seem to keep anyone decent in the tech side of the org (for a number of reasons), and Iger forcing people back into the office isn’t going to help the situation.

I work in IT for a living, for the single largest municipality in the US, dealing with complex webs of systems including legacies. And this is pure incompetence. Whether it’s from the devs, product owners, QA or PMs, someone—likely multiple someones—dropped the ball. I don’t understand how this release got validated. I really don’t. Breaking authentication isn’t exactly a Day 2 issue.

If my organization was as continually feckless as this lot heads would be rolling, but Disney can’t seem to keep anyone decent in the tech side of the org (for a number of reasons), and Iger forcing people back into the office isn’t going to help the situation.

I agree. While it is likely that the individual devs are not "incompetent", I think that the department as a whole has systemic and cultural issues that lead to rushed projects and missed details, etc. This likely flows from the top down and it will take a massive shift in leadership style to change that.

At least I am not the only one! I shared my struggles with my principal this morning. What a week!!

I agree. While it is likely that the individual devs are not "incompetent", I think that the department as a whole has systemic and cultural issues that lead to rushed projects and missed details, etc. This likely flows from the top down and it will take a massive shift in leadership style to change that.
It will also take them paying near market rates for their IT employees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter