Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2023 Edition

The Walt Disney Company, ‘Good Morning America’ and Make-A-Wish Team Up to Celebrate the Power of Wishes for Disney’s 100th Anniversary

For over a century, Disney has created a legacy of making wishes come true, whether it is on a star, from a genie, in a wishing well, or through collaborations with wish-granting organizations like Make-A-Wish. ABC News’ Good Morning America marked The Walt Disney Company’s 100th anniversary by teaming up with Make-A-Wish to celebrate 100 transformational wishes on the broadcast. The monthslong effort kicked off Monday, October 16, with a surprise for 8-year-old Madison, who battled cancer over the past year:

Goofy joined Madison and her family at the GMA studios in New York City to receive the very special message. Madison completed her medical treatment in early August and wished to have a magical family vacation at Walt Disney World Resort. This morning, Madison received a message from her favorite princess, Tiana, sharing the news that her wish is about to come true, including gifts from shopDisney to make her trip extra special.

“For 100 years, Disney has been a force of good throughout the world—and what better way to celebrate this incredible milestone than through our partnership with Make-A-Wish, where we have fulfilled more than 150,000 wishes over the last several decades,” Lisa Haines, SVP, Corporate Social Responsibility, The Walt Disney Company, said.

GMA‘s “The Power of Wishes” campaign will see 100 wishes fulfilled and shared on America’s most-watched morning newscast through December. The wishes will also be highlighted across GMA‘s digital and social platforms, as well across local ABC stations.

“So many Disney characters were part of our viewers’ lives growing up,” said Simone Swink, executive producer of GMA. “I hope this morning’s celebration—and the wishes we are fulfilling—are all a part of making new memories with the families that watch GMA and love Disney. Every morning on GMA we have the opportunity to share and enrich people’s lives in the ways that matter most to our viewers. Using our platform to inform and for the greater good is our top priority—a great way to celebrate Disney’s 100th!”

1920_170484_0578-614x409.jpg

In 1981, Disney granted the first official wish to Frank “Bopsy” Salazar at the Disneyland Resort. Now, over 40 years later, Disney has grown this relationship, granting its 150,000th wish this year to 16-year-old Mikayla who began her battle fighting cancer three years ago.

Along with granting this landmark wish, Disney has gone bigger to create magical experiences in 2023 to support Make-A-Wish, including launching the Wish Together campaign, Disney Create 100, dedicated windows at the Disneyland Resort, custom Florida license plates, the ‘Once Upon A Wish Party,’ and more. Many Disney cast members are also wish-granting volunteers, parents of wish kids, or wish alumni themselves.

Disney is committed to delivering joy and comfort to children facing serious illness and to the people who care for them by providing transformative experiences including theme park and resort vacations, cruises, shopping sprees, studio visits, talent meet-and-greets, sports-themed experiences, and more. Every wish granted allows kids to feel like kids while creating special memories with their families. These moments of normalcy inspire hope for a brighter future and the majority of kids go on to beat their illness and live fulfilling lives, often crediting their wish for giving them the physical and emotional strength they needed to fight.

Gary Dauberman, James Wan’s Atomic Monster Tackling Live-Action ‘Gargoyles’ For Disney+

Almost 30 years after first appearing as an animated television series, Gargoyles is taking flight once more, this time in live-action.

Two major names in the creature feature business, Gary Dauberman and James Wan’s Atomic Monster banner, known for their collaborations on the hit Annabelle horror movies, have teamed up to remake the 1990s cartoon as a live-action series for Disney+.

Dauberman will write, executive produce and showrun the series with Atomic Monster, the company run by Wan and Michael Clear, joining the executive producing ranks.

Gargoyles was made by Walt Disney Television Animation and aired three seasons, from 1994 to 1997. The premise involved gargoyle statues moved from a castle in Scotland to modern day New York. Once in the Big Apple, the statues awaken from a thousand-year-old spell and take on the mantle of protecting the city, becoming, as the show’s narration gravely said, “stone by day, warriors by night.”

The series came during a time of innovation in series animation, with Gargoyles riding a wave of shows with more complex storylines and darker tones that also included Batman: The Animated Series and X-Men. As with those shows, Gargoyles burrowed into the consciousness of a generation of TV watchers who have given it cult status.

While Disney hasn’t overtly tried to adapt the series into other formats, it did try to develop a gargoyles-in-modern-times feature in 2010 around the same time it made The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. The latter disappointed at the box office and the project stalled out not too long afterwards.
I refuse to get my hopes up

Journey of Water – Inspired by Moana Will Use A Virtual Queue As Needed at EPCOT

Earlier this morning, Disney World updated its website and My Disney Experience mobile app to inform guests that a Virtual Queue will be used as needed for the all-new Journey of Water – Inspired by Moana attraction at EPCOT.

Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana – Virtual Queue
To ensure the best experience, a virtual queue may be in use during periods of high demand for Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana. Get ready to stroll along this lush exploration trail, where you can connect with water and discover its magical personality.
About the Virtual Queue

• When a virtual queue is available, EPCOT Guests may join throughout the day starting at 9:00 AM, using the My Disney Experience app. Guests must be in EPCOT to join the virtual queue.
  • A standby queue may not be available when a virtual queue is in use.
  • Each Guest can request to enter this virtual queue no more than once per day during regular park hours.
Anyone know how this will apply to DAS? When there is a virtual queue does that mean no DAS?

Anyone know how this will apply to DAS? When there is a virtual queue does that mean no DAS?
Journey of Water Virtual Queue Details and FAQ

Can you use Disability Assistance Service with Journey of Water?​

Yes. If the standby line is in use at Journey of Water, you can get a DAS if the line is longer than about 20 minutes. If the Virtual Queue is in use, you’ll need to get a Boarding Group. When you return for either your DAS time or your Boarding Group, you’ll enter with a short wait, similar to what you typically find when redeeming a DAS.

Journey of Water Virtual Queue Details and FAQ

Can you use Disability Assistance Service with Journey of Water?​

Yes. If the standby line is in use at Journey of Water, you can get a DAS if the line is longer than about 20 minutes. If the Virtual Queue is in use, you’ll need to get a Boarding Group. When you return for either your DAS time or your Boarding Group, you’ll enter with a short wait, similar to what you typically find when redeeming a DAS.
So how do you know if virtual queue is in-use? Check the app every day?

So how do you know if virtual queue is in-use? Check the app every day?
Yeah, it just depends on crowd levels and how many people go to Journey of Water at a given time.

Today it was in use since it was the first day and the virtual queue filled up for the day.

not sure if this is common info or not, but it's definitely new to me so I wanted to share: party tickets are of course non-refundable and non-transferable... but they are reassignable. :)

I recently had to cancel our Halloween trip to Disney because my fathers health isn't improving quite as fast as we had hoped (still improving though!) and I was able to get his and mom's party tix reassigned to my niece (10) and nephew (7) and so next week I'm taking them on a whirlwind overnighter trip to the magic kingdom for their very first Disney experience. 8-) (though after mickey's not so scary, it's kinda all down hill from there. lol )

Last edited:

not sure if this is common info or not, but it's definitely new to me so I wanted to share: party tickets are of course non-refundable and non-transferable... but they are reassignable. :)

I recently had to cancel our Halloween trip to Disney because my fathers health isn't improving quite as fast as we had hoped (still improving though!) and I was able to get his and mom's party tix reassigned to my niece (10) and nephew (7) and so next week I'm taking them on a whirlwind overnighter trip to the magic kingdom next week for their very first Disney experience. 8-) (though after mickey's not so scary, it's kinda all down hill from there. lol )
Aw, I hope y'all have a blast! As first-timers, it'll be hard to decide whether to take them on rides or join the special entertainment.

Pocahontas, Meeko, and Dino Bash Goofy Meet and Greets at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

New Pocahontas, Meeko, and Goofy meet and greets have opened at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Pocahontas and Meeko are now appearing in the Oasis section, while Goofy has joined Donald’s Dino-Bash in DinoLand U.S.A.

IMG_2567.jpeg

Meeko is appearing next to Garden Gate Gifts, where DiVine also appears in the mornings.

IMG_2568.jpeg

Pocahontas is near the bridge to Discovery Island, in front of the rocks on the east side of Oasis.

IMG_2569.jpeg

Goofy is meeting next to TriceraTop Spin, in front of a Donald’s Dino-Bash backdrop.

Pocahontas, Meeko, and Dino Bash Goofy Meet and Greets at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

New Pocahontas, Meeko, and Goofy meet and greets have opened at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Pocahontas and Meeko are now appearing in the Oasis section, while Goofy has joined Donald’s Dino-Bash in DinoLand U.S.A.

View attachment 802795

Meeko is appearing next to Garden Gate Gifts, where DiVine also appears in the mornings.

View attachment 802796

Pocahontas is near the bridge to Discovery Island, in front of the rocks on the east side of Oasis.

View attachment 802797

Goofy is meeting next to TriceraTop Spin, in front of a Donald’s Dino-Bash backdrop.
Are they doing regular sets or are they just back on land for 100th activities as I’d love to catch Pocahontas & Meeko

View attachment 802795

View attachment 802796

View attachment 802797

Hopefully long term?

How Disney Brought Back Robin Williams’ Genie for the Animated Short ‘Once Upon a Studio’ — Without Using AI

Excerpt:
. . . From the very beginning, Correy and Abraham knew Robin Williams’ iconic genie needed to be a part of it. Simonsen and producer Merino reached out to the estate. Says Simonsen, “We tried to take them on the journey with us to say, ‘We’ve got this very special short that we’re doing. Robin as the genie means so much to so many people and we would really love to involve him. So Dan listened to the outtakes from the original recording and he found those little bites that we could use. We went back to the estate and said, ‘This is what we hope to do.’ Eric, who originally animated the genie is on the show, and he’s going to be part of it.’ And it was wonderful to see that happen.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter