• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2024 Edition

Shogun is so amazIng!!! I watched the original TV series and read the book as a kid. I read the subtitles, but I do turn up the volume since I have been practicing my Japanese for our June trip. I actually pick some words here and there :rotfl2:
I know Shogun has been a hard show for some to get into because it's a lot of subtitles. I read it was approximately 50% subtitles but because I've been watching a lot of Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, Thai and Japanese dramas on various platforms with 100% subtitles/no English voiced it hasn't bothered me.

I've picked up things here and there as well through watching stuff but no where near as useful to me in the end especially for our Japan trip. It's awesome you've been able to absorb it and it'll probably make it easier on you when you go :)

"new" Fox can have 20th Century Studios, Searchlight, and most of the IP and other assets! "new" Fox even owns Tubi, which can be helpful for a revived 20th Century Fox. Go on, disagree with me! I dare ya! I dare ya to disagree with me, or I will throw Bob Iger out the hard way!

And I wasn’t even trying to reply to you in the first place! I was trying to reply to @OKW Lover, but you had to butt in!
So you post an opinion piece, someone responds to it and then you say they're butting in? It sounds like you wanted to post the opinion piece without anyone really challenging it. I don't necessarily think what is said in the piece is wrong but on a message board you have to expect people to challenge other people's opinions.

I know Shogun has been a hard show for some to get into because it's a lot of subtitles. I read it was approximately 50% subtitles but because I've been watching a lot of Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, Thai and Japanese dramas on various platforms with 100% subtitles/no English voiced it hasn't bothered me.

I've picked up things here and there as well through watching stuff but no where near as useful to me in the end especially for our Japan trip. It's awesome you've been able to absorb it and it'll probably make it easier on you when you go :)
Looking forward to next week's finale. And I agree, I think this isn't something a studio more closely affiliated with Disney could pull off. So I'm glad for FX, I'm hoping they continue with this quality for other shows.

BTW, if you happen to have access to Hulu, you can watch it all in English there (there's a dubbed version). We still watched it with the subtitles but the dubbed version has been helpful for family members to whom we've recommended the show.

"new" Fox can have 20th Century Studios, Searchlight, and most of the IP and other assets! "new" Fox even owns Tubi, which can be helpful for a revived 20th Century Fox. Go on, disagree with me! I dare ya! I dare ya to disagree with me, or I will throw Bob Iger out the hard way!

And I wasn’t even trying to reply to you in the first place! I was trying to reply to @OKW Lover, but you had to butt in!
Easy there chief

I’m definitely not absorbing it🤣 I took 2 semesters of Japanese in college way too long ago. I have been studying with my audio lessons, which is the only reason I pick up a word or two here and there in it.

I found this interesting opinion piece on WDWMagic Forums, which resonates with my view on Bob Iger:
It resonates with me as well. That said, I've worked for several of the largest corporations in the world, and I can say that most of them behaved similarly. Most "strategic" business decisions are made with the goal of maximizing profits for the next stockholder meeting.

I’m definitely not absorbing it🤣 I took 2 semesters of Japanese in college way too long ago. I have been studying with my audio lessons, which is the only reason I pick up a word or two here and there in it.

I took 2 years in college and a semester in college that was some repeat and some new many, many years ago. I did almost a year of duolingo before my trip and even with what I remember they talk so fast, quiet, mumble that I could barely pick anything up. My brain would talke so long to compute it all that I could barely respond in Japanese. Google translate was helpful in some instances but I felt like I'd wasted a year with duo.

For anyone that hasn't watched and has HBO I recommend Tokyo Vice. It's good and based off a real guy, Jake Adelstein. I'd read his first book before I found out it was being made into a show. His latest book isn't as good. This show also has subtitles, not sure if there's a dubbed version, didn't know Shogun had one, I just read 🙂

Can we discuss this on here? Just have a question.

I don't think general discussion should be an issue as long as you don't quote anything particularly off-color from the trailer (I have not watched it). Ask away.

Yes, they would love the content. No, they will not pay anything for it. As I stated, the Fox IP is not going nowhere.

Edit: On the other hand since Disney is not using much on Disney Plus, I could see renting some streaming rights.

Last edited:
Thank the Maker if this happens and gets the attraction back to the glory that was the Dreamfinder era.

Sorry buy Poli Construction doesn't have that kind of "history"... they did renovate Trail's End Restaurant. More likly it's a renovation of the VIP Area, or some behind the scenes maintance.

Even basic construction can have very long lead times at this point...

Yes, they would love the content. No, they will not pay anything for it. As I stated, the Fox IP is not going nowhere.
Not if Bob Iger is no longer the CEO of Disney and either Dana Walden or Alan Bergman or Josh D'Amaro (or both Bergman and D'Amaro or Walden and D'Amaro) are now in charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter