Disney pulling all content from Netflix, launching own streaming service

I'm fine with this and may pull some subscribers away from Netflix.

Seems like we don't have to worry about this for a while though. They didn't say when these things are leaving Netflix? Just that they are?

The question is .. what will they put on here? If they continue this "vault" stuff to help push sales to their DVDs, then i don't think people will like it as much.
But if they put EVERY Disney Classic movie on there and put things like the old Duck Tales on there (and the similar 90s shows) you will probably have people flocking to it in droves. Odds are though they will pull things on/off of here as it keeps subscribers hooked in as "new" stuff keeps trickling in.

My other question is will this tie in with their current digital movie streaming service like Disney Movies Anywhere? Will these movies (that I can currently watch on other streaming platforms like Amazon, Google and iTunes) still be available or will they pull those from those services forcing you to watch/subscribe to the new Disney-only streaming service?

And that's quickly becoming the problem...people are already moaning about swapping their cable bills for streams and engaging in the time honored 1980's tradition of trying to steal it...
They will always get our money.

As people cut cable, internet prices go up because the demand for high bandwidth goes up.

And people are juts replacing cable bills with MULTIPLE streaming services and this will just add to that list.

They will always get our money.

As people cut cable, internet prices go up because the demand for high bandwidth goes up.

And people are juts replacing cable bills with MULTIPLE streaming services and this will just add to that list.

Difference here is that the backlash will be much swifter than cable which got slow burn from 1980-2015

IMHO, I think this is a mistake by Disney. I can understand wanting your own stream to control your content, but the biggest reason i've heard for people to cut the cord is to save money. It was our number one reason as well. The more streams you add, you end up with the price of a cable TV plan.

It would have been better to work with Netflix, Hulu, Sling, et al, and add more of their content to those streams. FWIW, we probably won't subscribe to "Disney Stream" either.

Difference here is that the backlash will be much swifter than cable which got slow burn from 1980-2015
True ..
The cable slow burn simply came in the ever increasing prices for channels no one really wanted (but ended up paying for anyway because they were bundled with the channels we do want).

Streaming services at least are priced reasonably and if there are multiple ones, eventually a few WILL come out on top.

I'm fine with this and may pull some subscribers away from Netflix.

Seems like we don't have to worry about this for a while though. They didn't say when these things are leaving Netflix? Just that they are?

The question is .. what will they put on here? If they continue this "vault" stuff to help push sales to their DVDs, then i don't think people will like it as much.
But if they put EVERY Disney Classic movie on there and put things like the old Duck Tales on there (and the similar 90s shows) you will probably have people flocking to it in droves. Odds are though they will pull things on/off of here as it keeps subscribers hooked in as "new" stuff keeps trickling in.

My other question is will this tie in with their current digital movie streaming service like Disney Movies Anywhere? Will these movies (that I can currently watch on other streaming platforms like Amazon, Google and iTunes) still be available or will they pull those from those services forcing you to watch/subscribe to the new Disney-only streaming service?

The Netflix agreement will end in 2019...so you'll probably see content start to retract next year...

But you bring up a valid issue...they are gonna have to rob Peter to pay Paul with these multiple juggling balls some how.

They still cling to the home movie market and cable for revenues but they have to pivot away from that while not outright abandoning it. Very tricky...and very low percentage of success.

True ..
The cable slow burn simply came in the ever increasing prices for channels no one really wanted (but ended up paying for anyway because they were bundled with the channels we do want).

Streaming services at least are priced reasonably and if there are multiple ones, eventually a few WILL come out on top.

Cable had no competition either...high speed internet...and the internet for that matter...and wireless capabilities have completed altered the playing field since cable dominated.

IMHO, I think this is a mistake by Disney. I can understand wanting your own stream, but the biggest reason i've heard for people to cut the cord is to save money. It was our number one reason as well. The more streams you add, you end up with the price of a cable TV plan.

It would have been better to work with Netflix, Hulu, Sling, et al, and add more of their content to those streams. FWIW, we probably won't subscribe to "Disney Stream" either.

Excellent point

The Netflix agreement will end in 2019...so you'll probably see content start to retract next year...

But you bring up a valid issue...they are gonna have to rob Peter to pay Paul with these multiple juggling balls some how.

They still cling to the home movie market and cable for revenues but they have to pivot away from that while not outright abandoning it. Very tricky...and very low percentage of success.
There still will be a market for DVDs for a while ..simply due to DVD players in vans for those long trips to .... Disney World. :), but I think Disney will probably get out of it soon . .it is a dying market anyway. Just like my old CDs that gather dust in the attic (because I have them all digitally)

I went on a Disney DVD buying binge in the past 5 years mainly so I can have my kids watch the old movies I loved since they aren't available streaming anywhere. BUT .. if they were available on a Disney service, I would stop buying $20-30 DVDs and just pay for a subscription.

It is much cheaper . .just how the young people nowadays just pay for Spotify or Apple Music or Amazon Music at $7-9/month instead of buying several $10 CDs every month. And they get much broader selection of music.

I mean .. I was going to cancel my membership to Disney Movie Club since all the new movies coming out (Dr. Strange, Zootopia, Jungle Book, Rogue One, etc. etc.) have been coming out on Netflix anyway.

I stated this in the news thread, but here is a thought.

Could this be the final push to get sports off of network broadcasting and move it instead to pay per view down loadable services? I could see Disney leverage this to get thursday or sunday night games going only to there membership download able services and once again forcing folks to pay attention to ESPN and be part of their service. NFL has been wanting to do this for years...to take the move to more pay per view.

Only time will tell, especially as large networks are getting killed having to pay huge bucks to get network viewing....

There still will be a market for DVDs for a while ..simply due to DVD players in vans for those long trips to .... Disney World. :), but I think Disney will probably get out of it soon . .it is a dying market anyway. Just like my old CDs that gather dust in the attic (because I have them all digitally)

I went on a Disney DVD buying binge in the past 5 years mainly so I can have my kids watch the old movies I loved since they aren't available streaming anywhere. BUT .. if they were available on a Disney service, I would stop buying $20-30 DVDs and just pay for a subscription.

It is much cheaper . .just how the young people nowadays just pay for Spotify or Apple Music or Amazon Music at $7-9/month instead of buying several $10 CDs every month. And they get much broader selection of music.

See there's the problems...

That doesn't help disney...which is bleeding profits from cable. They are trying to regain what they had and grow it...not swap it out.

I'll occasionally buy the blu rays - I think moana was the last - and I still have cable. If i dump either of those for the stream...they still lose.

Now if it's $9 a month...that could be a good price point. But they are likely not gonna try to keep it that reasonable. I think when they did surveys about espn...the float was $20 or $25 a month.

No way in hell...it's a busted product and not worth anything close to that. Try $2-3 a month...maybe. I can only see the over age, past clinging college football fanboys even considering a ransom for it.

This is a wee bit of a problem.

Last edited:
I stated this in the news thread, but here is a thought.

Could this be the final push to get sports off of network broadcasting and move it instead to pay per view down loadable services? I could see Disney leverage this to get thursday or sunday night games going only to there membership download able services and once again forcing folks to pay attention to ESPN and be part of their service. NFL has been wanting to do this for years...to take the move to more pay per view.

Only time will tell, especially as large networks are getting killed having to pay huge bucks to get network viewing....

I don't think the operators like disney and fox can control that...or they would have cut the network deals and went direct to the leagues for streaming already.

The reality is that there's one really profitable sports product for broadcast...the NFL...and they know that most hunker down on their couch in front of the talking picture box/panel. That's why Madison Avenue still pays attention and why they can still charge ransoms to the tv networks. Period.

The actual sports other than the NFL are really already a streaming product except for regional MLB networks...which makes what little espn offers unstable ground to stand on as well.

I've read that original content is something they are interested in.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. The one thing that is keeping us from cutting out cable altogether is live sports, so the ESPN option is intriguing to me. I don't think it'll 100% solve things for us (we'd be looking for a way to see all of our local games), but I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction. I need MLB.tv to lift the local blackout restrictions...hopefully that day is coming.

As for Disney pulling their content, I do feel that this does make my Netflix account a little less valuable, but it wouldn't be enough for me to cancel my Netflix subscription and jump ship to Disney's streaming service - Netflix has too many other good shows that I love and their original content is pretty great. I'm with others who have said that I don't feel like I want to pay for another streaming service, so I'm not sure I'd go for this Disney one. Greatly depends on the price (which I'm guessing will be more than what I want to pay) and what they will offer.
What about shows like Daredevil ect which were Netflix originals? Do they all go too?
Apparently they stay "for now": http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/08/media/disney-netflix/index.html

If Daredevil and Jessica Jones do leave Netflix, that would be enough for us to pick up Disney's streaming for a month or so to watch the new seasons...then we'd drop it (assuming they will have a format similar to Netflix where one can pick it up and cancel as they please).

I think services like MLB including local is their waterloo...

MLB...like all leagues...is a cadre of billionaire owners. And they likes their money (especially Loria, nutting, and Stu sternberg)...

The reason that the big teams with the RSNs like New York, LA and Boston are so generous with the revenue splits is because all the little guys know not to mess with their cable station local monopolies...

No, nada, NEIN!!!

So If they were to try and lift the local restrictions - essentially cutting out cable and the networks - the big boys would go defcon 1. They'd have to double or triple the price to make up for the lost cable revenue of the big teams who own another valuable asset in a RSN.

If Daredevil and Jessica Jones do leave Netflix, that would be enough for us to pick up Disney's streaming for a month or so to watch the new seasons...then we'd drop it (assuming they will have a format similar to Netflix where one can pick it up and cancel as they please).

That's exactly what I'd do...and tons would do...get each "separate" stream for 1 month and cancel each year. I'd probably keep Amazon and Netflix all year and then "pick my fave" for a month at a time...and I'd probably only have them in the summer when tv is dead...so I'd rotate Disney, CBS (once they have Star Trek up and running), and whatever other channel has the stuff I like...

Everything is going to be a mess for a while. Despite the news headlines, Disney can't pull everything from Netflix.

What is really happening is Netflix controls the pay-cable rights for all Disney films release theatrically from 2016 through 2018. Disney will now keep those pay-cable rights to Disney-Pixar films release theatrically from 2019 going forward (but not necessarily Marvel Studios or Lucasfilm movies). Plus, of course, Disney's controls their back catalog. What is going to happen is in 2019, Starz will control pay-cable rights for Disney films released theatrically from 2012-2015, Netflix will control the pay cable rights for 2016-2018 and Disney from 2019 forward. At lease for a few overlapping years while those pay-rights expire (the Starz ones may expire by 2019)

As to success? I'm not sure. The reason for success for Netflix and Hulu is they offer a one-stop shop, lots of content from lots of providers for one price. With every studio/network looking to set up their own streaming service, there will be a saturation/breaking point. I know I won't pay $10 for any one studio/network, I'm close to cnacelling Netflix now because they offer less and less.

I honestly don't get why they don't focus on being the content creators and let someone else handle all the distribution...They could create and/or lease different content to all the different providers and never lose if one of them goes belly up...they could be what the NFL is to sports programming - they'd be the same of entertainment programming...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter