Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I don't mind the buses. I wonder if it's because most people visiting Disney World never take public transportation, but really the bus system is not that bad. Most of the time you wait between 0 and 15 minutes for a bus and it takes you right where you want to be. There always seems to be once or twice a trip that you wait 20-30 minutes, and my wife gets all worked up about this...but I've become very zen about it.

That said, last trip we stay at Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge, and we only took the bus 5 times the whole trip, and like 21 times on boats, and it was pretty sweet.

I used to feel the same way you do, but over time, and more recently in the past few years, it feels like it has gotten worse.

The longer you make a gondola line the more people you need to evacuate if it shuts down. I think a gondola to Animal Kingdom is unlikely. AKL to Animal Kingdom makes sense, except AKL is such an awkward shape... it'd probably need a turn between Kidani and Jambo. Certainly possible, but might cost more than its worth.

I think a train or monorail makes more sense for connecting Animal Kingdom, if they wanted to move away from busses.

I used to feel the same way you do, but over time, and more recently in the past few years, it feels like it has gotten worse.
In recent years I feel like we wait way more for busses on average, especially at park close after magic hours. From resorts doesn't seem as bad, especially with the screens showing the time (even though that time is frequently pushed back a lot). Earlier in the day they seem a little more reliable.

In recent years I feel like we wait way more for busses on average, especially at park close after magic hours. From resorts doesn't seem as bad, especially with the screens showing the time (even though that time is frequently pushed back a lot). Earlier in the day they seem a little more reliable.
i would like to see an alternative for at least MK, its a pure nightmare getting out of there and onto a bus after fireworks.

i would like to see an alternative for at least MK, its a pure nightmare getting out of there and onto a bus after fireworks.
Well.. there already is the monorail and the three sets of boats. Not sure adding another form of transport to the three pulling people out is realistic. There is limited space up front. The real issue is the way they do the fireworks show. If they did it as soon as it got dark, instead of waiting until the end of the night, you wouldn't have the same rush. Especially without a nighttime parade, there is no reason to do the fireworks so late during much of the year.

Well.. there already is the monorail and the three sets of boats. Not sure adding another form of transport to the three pulling people out is realistic. There is limited space up front. The real issue is the way they do the fireworks show. If they did it as soon as it got dark, instead of waiting until the end of the night, you wouldn't have the same rush. Especially without a nighttime parade, there is no reason to do the fireworks so late during much of the year.

I think the reason is to keep people in the park until closing.

I think the reason is to keep people in the park until closing.
Fair enough. But it also creates the transportation headache we all know so well. I think they might even make up some revenue by doing early fireworks in that more families might stay in the parks during the day, adding an extra meal, rather than returning to hotels for a rest. But you're probably right, the simple solution to the transportation issue would probably cause a drop in some revenue. Though maybe offset by needing fewer transportation options so late in the night?

Man I wish I could dig into Disney Park books and actually look at these issues...

The Skyliner makes sense where they're putting it because you have 3 of the largest resorts and 2 theme parks all within close proximity. They're getting a lot of bang for their bucks.

It's also taking traffic out of one of the most congested areas on property (although that may change when the new DHS entrance opens.)

From a cost/benefit standpoint, I think it would be tough to justify putting one in to AK. Connecting Epcot with PO, OKW, SSR, and DS makes more sense.

Port Orleans to the front of Epcot is really the only other one that makes immediate sense but it is likely the shortest bus route on property so the numbers may not works.

All Stars to DHS and EP makes sense rooms served wise but it would have to cross over 2 major thoroughfares.

I'm trying to imagine the look of Disney World where there are gondola systems everywhere. I am reserving judgement until I can see what this one looks like. Could be cool. The great thing about the gondolas is the continuous service. In every single method of transportation now, you have to wait for some period of time then there is a maximum number of riders that can be served until the next one comes along. The gondolas will continuously serve riders. Even when the park closes, the line will continuously move instead of wait, load, wait, load

The great thing about the gondolas is the continuous service. In every single method of transportation now, you have to wait for some period of time then there is a maximum number of riders that can be served until the next one comes along. The gondolas will continuously serve riders. Even when the park closes, the line will continuously move instead of wait, load, wait, load
They're the closest thing to Walt's WEDway People Mover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter