Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I wonder if they will open the entire system all at once, or branch by branch? If branch by branch, they could start operation with a partial cabin delivery.

Advantage to doing this is:
1. Reduce bus usage sooner
2. Easiest to hire and train CM for system branch by branch instead of all at once.

If they did this, PoP/AoA branch would be the last branch to open.
It will open all at once as far as I know. Doesn’t make a ton of sense in the grand schemes of things to open it in phases. Also if they did do it I believe the Epcot to CBR line would be the last to open not Pop.

It will open all at once as far as I know. Doesn’t make a ton of sense in the grand schemes of things to open it in phases. Also if they did do it I believe the Epcot to CBR line would be the last to open not Pop.
Well, if pop were first it'd be a gondola to no where.

I guess it could be 2nd, but I could see many confused people getting on at pop not realizing the epcot line was not yet open

Pretty sure that isn’t the case.

So you think that it was supposed to open sooner and Doppelmayr is delivering late?

Getting the cabin production schedule right is probably the easiest part of this project. My guess is it was the longest lead item that dictacted the overall project delivery date.

If they knew they were running way behind on cabins and there was no milestone payment for intermediate steps a lot of companies would've slown down construction to slow the bleed of money. I personally find it very unlikely that there was no milestone payments on this project though.

Well, if pop were first it'd be a gondola to no where.

I guess it could be 2nd, but I could see many confused people getting on at pop not realizing the epcot line was not yet open
No CBR to DHS would have to be the first if they did phases. That’s the furthest along as it is. I just don’t see them doing this because CBR is the hub.

So you think that it was supposed to open sooner and Doppelmayr is delivering late?

Getting the cabin production schedule right is probably the easiest part of this project. My guess is it was the longest lead item that dictacted the overall project delivery date.

If they knew they were running way behind on cabins and there was no milestone payment for intermediate steps a lot of companies would've slown down construction to slow the bleed of money. I personally find it very unlikely that there was no milestone payments on this project though.
This project should be opening sooner. From what I know/have been told production of the cabins is behind. I would imagine this is one of the largest cabin orders Dopplemayr has ever had because of the nature of the project. Disney is way overpaying for this system as it is. That’s nothing new though.

No good reason for Doppelmayr to slow down the install. The have specially trained people on site who they probably don't want to keep there any longer then necessary, and they don't want to risk getting back up into the spring when they have to go back to ski resort installations.

Is there any speculation that the construction of the stations has anything to do with the fall opening? Are most of the stations close to completion?

Is there any speculation that the construction of the stations has anything to do with the fall opening? Are most of the stations close to completion?
The stations are pretty far along. A lot of it is theming and finishing the structures at this point. The gondola systems are all in place.

For the most part I think they will not be cramming people on the gondola. The ONLY time the gondolas have a chance of being crowded are at park closing. Any other time the capacity is so much larger than the number of people using them I think generally they will be sticking with 4-6 people per cabin unless a larger family all wants to go together.
Possibly also at opening, especially at CBR where everyone will be funneled into one line for each park. It's common to have 2 or 3 busloads of people waiting in the queues at Pop & AoA around 9am in the morning.

Weird parking lot elevation changes in that gondola picture. Is it a drainage thing?

Hope Osha wasn't there today....and is that asphalt realy that bumpy? pirate: It looks like a ride in and of itself....
Osha does not prevent you from working on high. It's required for a lot of jobs. If you look closely at the photo you will see they are wearing safety lines. Osha can drop by anytime I'm sure.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the first gondola/cable car system in FL and if there is even a developed approval process in place for safety and operation? If there isn't an established process, my guess is a good chunk of the time suck is the regulatory approval.
IIRC (and I may not) doesn't Busch Gardens Tampa have one?

This project should be opening sooner. From what I know/have been told production of the cabins is behind. I would imagine this is one of the largest cabin orders Dopplemayr has ever had because of the nature of the project. Disney is way overpaying for this system as it is. That’s nothing new though.
Milestone payments are not extra payments, FYI. It is when x is finish you get x% of the contract price. It is done a lot in construction or large equipment installations.

No good reason for Doppelmayr to slow down the install. The have specially trained people on site who they probably don't want to keep there any longer then necessary, and they don't want to risk getting back up into the spring when they have to go back to ski resort installations.
It's all speculation at this point, but if they aren't getting milestone payments they fronted a lot of money earlier than had to and most businesses try to avoid that. But like you said, there is risk in slow rolling or additional cost if you already have everything lined up.

At the end of the, no one actually knows when the have over date was supposed to be. And we don't know if it is delayed i if it is Doppelmayr's fault or if Disney changed specs/didn't confirm soon enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter