• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Another way to look at it - If they load a car every 8 seconds (the number I've estimated to get near 5000 passengers) - and the one-way trip is 5 minutes - that's 38 cars on the line in each direction - or 76 cars on the round trip cable.

That should cover the Pop/AOA to CBR and the DHS to CBR lines - 152 cars (Probably less on the AOA-CBR line because it's shorter.)

The CBR to IG is longer, so their will be more cars on that one, but I think 225 - 275 cars is a pretty reasonable total for all 3 lines.

Another way to look at it - If they load a car every 8 seconds (the number I've estimated to get near 5000 passengers) - and the one-way trip is 5 minutes - that's 38 cars on the line in each direction - or 76 cars on the round trip cable.

That should cover the Pop/AOA to CBR and the DHS to CBR lines - 152 cars (Probably less on the AOA-CBR line because it's shorter.)

The CBR to IG is longer, so their will be more cars on that one, but I think 225 - 275 cars is a pretty reasonable total for all 3 lines.

Well, no one will ever accuse me of having a good grasp of mental math. I imagine you're right, it just seems like such a low number.

Those numbers strike me as super low. I can see those numbers for....actually none of the lines. A plain old, fixed grip (meaning the chairs do not detach from the line in the stations) at our local ski hill is about 1800 ft long and has just over 100 chairs on it. No way the miles of cable between the 3 lines has only 225 to 350 cars on it.

ETA: That lift has a capacity of 1500 per hour one way.
At 4500 people an hour, that would be 450 gondolas per hour per station. That is a gondola once every 8 seconds. With a rope speed of 16mph, which is 23.5 feet/s, that would give you a spacing of 188 feet. This would be 28 gondolas per mile.

Assuming there would be 10 gondolas in each station and none parked, 225 would let you have 5.5 miles of rope.

The Liftblog number was based off counting hangar platelets from the aerial photos.

Edit: I assume the 2.6 miles posted above was the one way length, so that'd be 5.2 miles total round trip rope. I hadn't read that length until just now, so that makes me feel good about these numbers.

Last edited:
Edit: I assume the 2.6 miles posted above was the one way length, so that'd be 5.2 miles total round trip rope. I hadn't read that length until just now, so that make me feel good about these numbers.
Yes, on Google Maps I just drew the path from IG to DHS, and added the CBR to AoA/Pop leg.

I'm theorizing that detachable carriers would be further apart on the cable than fixed carriers, because they have to move closer together when they decelerate into the stations.
They actually never deaccelerate until they get into the station because the cables run at constant speed, the only slow down after they are detached from the cable.

They actually never deaccelerate until they get into the station because the cables run at constant speed, the only slow down after they are detached from the cable.
That is true, but because the laws of physics say 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time (in the station), the minimum spacing out on the cable is dictated by the relationship of the cable speed to the speed thru the load area. For example, if the speed thru the station results in a cabin being dispatched every 9 seconds, then the spacing on the the cable will be whatever length of cable passes a fixed point in 9 seconds. The faster the cable is moving, the further apart will be the cabins on the cable, if the speed and spacing within the station remain the same.

OTOH, fixed carrier spacing (like a non-detachable chairlift) is limited only by how far apart they must be to unload and load safely, since their speed doesn't change in the station.

No. They are saying a car could be leaving the station every 8 seconds, but there will be more then one car at a time loading and unloading in the station. So if that station can hold 10 cars, then that is 80 seconds to unload and load.

Okay, this makes sense. I could nto figure how they could move the amount of people if there was only one loading and unloading at a time. I think I spent more time this week looking at those cables than I did looking at Mickey! I am lookign forward to seeing them run. Our Lyft driver said that he saw a test this week and the hanging thing (I have no idea what he called that thing) made the loop.

Wait so people only have 8 seconds to load onto on of them or did I misread this?

Okay, this makes sense. I could nto figure how they could move the amount of people if there was only one loading and unloading at a time. I think I spent more time this week looking at those cables than I did looking at Mickey! I am lookign forward to seeing them run. Our Lyft driver said that he saw a test this week and the hanging thing (I have no idea what he called that thing) made the loop.

If you look at the previous page or two, I posted a video showing the operation of another 4500/hr gondola.

I was just reading a post over on WDWMagic and 1 of the posters over there is said that the Timeframe for Skyliner opening is 126 days 13h 29m 34s (time is running). That would put the skyline are opening about May 1? That's obviously in conflict to what is been said here but is much closer to what we originally thought and what it looks like as far as how work is progressing.

Last edited:
I was just reading a post over on WDWMagic and 1 of the posters over there is said that the Timeframe for Skyliner opening is 126 days 13h 29m 34s (time is running). That would put the skyline are opening about May 1? That's obviously in conflict to what is been said here but is much closer to what we originally thought and what it looks like a far as how work is progressing.
I will be down there then so I hope it will open then

I was just reading a post over on WDWMagic and 1 of the posters over there is said that the Timeframe for Skyliner opening is 126 days 13h 29m 34s (time is running). That would put the skyline are opening about May 1? That's obviously in conflict to what is been said here but is much closer to what we originally thought and what it looks like as far as how work is progressing.

Be surprising if they have such a specif C date already - but maybe it is a target to completion of when one of the contracts with a developer is due?

I can definitely see that being a target do initial/soft opening and then Fall isn’t until total and official opening and when all the cabins will be installed

Guess we shall see! We aren’t there until August and when we booked were thinking it would be open by then so the announcement of Fall was disappointing- so even if not fully open would be nice to get to ride it some

That's not a running countdown to when it will open, sorry guys. It's just a countdown to the earliest possible date that has really ever been discussed. Think of it as a countdown to when we can begin the watch party to wait for things like soft openings and possible opening date announcements. At least, that's how I understand it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter