Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

It's possible to paint galvanized steel, but you have to pre-treat it very carefully before painting, and that's not a simple thing on a surface that size.

Vinyl wraps will usually hold for the useful life of the vinyl, so I think that it is possible that wraps could be used on sections if it was important to camouflage part of a support.

So what I'm seeing is that when there's a thunderstorm the gondolas won't operate. Does that mean Disney will ground the gondolas every time thunderstorms are forecast? Or will they wait until something's on the radar and then empty out and stop the gondolas?

So what I'm seeing is that when there's a thunderstorm the gondolas won't operate. Does that mean Disney will ground the gondolas every time thunderstorms are forecast? Or will they wait until something's on the radar and then empty out and stop the gondolas?
I believe what’s been said is they will stop when lightening is within 5 miles. Rain isn’t an issue but lightening is.

There are thunderstorms forecast pretty much every day from June to September. Disney already monitors the weather closely so that it can close attractions that would be adversely affected by severe events.

The storms don't always appear on radar. Most of the time, the summer afternoon storms pop up where the Atlantic sea breeze collides with the Gulf sea breeze (frequently right over my house, which is 10 miles due north of the MK.) The location of the collision can be anywhere across the width of the peninsula, dependent on the the relative strength of the opposing sea breezes. But I believe an expert meteorologist monitoring local conditions can predict the likelihood of storms developing with enough lead time to clear the line. Remember, no cabin is ever more than 10 minutes from the next station. And the system is designed to be safe in lightning, just in case.

Once the storms form, of course, they can be tracked on radar.

Footage of the gondolas during the strong weather yesterday ... definitely in some shots you can see the trees blowing pretty good and the gondolas are not moving all that much

Was in WDW two weeks ago and was in some huge storms. Was amazed at how little they seemed to be effected. One storm caught us at Epcot - and wind was forcing rain side ways. Could see gondolas near international gate and they were barely rocking.

It will be curious to see how they handle when and where they stop things if storms are bad.

Was in WDW two weeks ago and was in some huge storms. Was amazed at how little they seemed to be effected. One storm caught us at Epcot - and wind was forcing rain side ways. Could see gondolas near international gate and they were barely rocking.

It will be curious to see how they handle when and where they stop things if storms are bad.

yeah, obviously this was a tornado warning so they would have to stop in that - but how "bad" does it need to get before they stop them. I would think it is more a function of lightening in the area than wind or rain levels (up to a certain point of course)

obviously this was a tornado warning so they would have to stop in that - but how "bad" does it need to get before they stop them. I would think it is more a function of lightening in the area than wind or rain levels
I don't think lightning itself is a problem for the gondolas as they are designed to operate under these conditions. You would be safe on the gondola during a thunderstorm. It's probably more a guest reaction kind of thing.

I don't think lightning itself is a problem for the gondolas as they are designed to operate under these conditions. You would be safe on the gondola during a thunderstorm. It's probably more a guest reaction kind of thing.
Shutting down the system and leaving me stranded outside a park during a storm rather than getting me where I want to be does not feel like a positive "guest reaction" to me.

Shutting down the system and leaving me stranded outside a park during a storm rather than getting me where I want to be does not feel like a positive "guest reaction" to me.
Not sure what the alternative is. You under cover in the station or trying to make your way to a bus?

That'll give them time to deploy extra buses where needed to get the stranded passengers to where they need to go.

Yea some "decisions" will need to be made at EPCOT from time to time.

If planning to leave, Gondola Resort guests will need to choose to walk to the front of EPCOT (if weather is approaching) for a bus, and not risk the walk to IG in case it shuts down. That could be a long wait back there.

DHS is much simpler, literally just feet apart.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter