Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Anyone on here there now? We head there in a week for Pop and I’m wondering how much that line is running.

What is Transportation showing on your MDE app? Does it indicate if the Skyliner is open or closed?
We left POP to come home last night so I can’t check now, but I couldn’t find any Skyliner time/wait info on the app when there.

ETA: The bus stops still say to use the skyliner even when it’s closed 🙄

I'm wondering if this is an issue of seating capacity, or of maneuvering-time when unloading.

Has anyone observed how people with open single strollers are tending to move them off the gondolas? Are they turning them inside the gondola cabin and rolling off forward, or are they backing them out?

If they are backing out, and the folks in charge of load practice observation are seeing slowdowns and/or fall potential in that practice, that would explain requiring doubles to be folded. Doubles are mostly too wide to turn inside the cabin without being able to lift a bench, and the door clearance is rather tight for backing out, which makes the process a tad slower.
We left POP yesterday and rode the gondolas several times this week.

Our 6 year old has never used a stroller at Disney but she came down with a bug this week, and combined with the heat, she needed one so we bought an umbrella stroller at Epcot and used it on the Skyliner. I’m sure this stroller is smaller than the one you’ll be using, but we rolled her in straight, sat down, then picked it up and turned it around while traveling so we didn’t have to go backwards. Depending on the size of your stroller you could turn it with a kid sleeping inside, but not like a long jogging one.

I should mention we had plenty of space because they never had us with strangers, so when we turned the stroller there were only 4 of us in the cabin. I didn’t see any groups that didn’t know each other (even just 2 people) put together.

Also, we never rode the gondolas with my daughter in her stroller and my MIL in her ECV, it just never worked out that way, so I can’t comment on what would happen then. My guess is we would have to either fold the stroller before entering or just take a separate one.

Anyone on here there now? We head there in a week for Pop and I’m wondering how much that line is running.
We are at Pop now and rode gondola yesterday afternoon and evening as well. It was moving when we went out this morning but I didn’t look to see if there were people on it.

Just got back. We had a Citi Mini Double and were told by the first cast member that we could take it on unfolded. There were 9 of us and the stroller juuuust made it through the doors. But then a second cast member came over and told the first cast member the stroller had to go in first and then everyone had to go in after that, so they stopped the Skyliner so that we could all get out, put the stroller in first and then get back in. (Sorry for anyone on it Sunday night lol)

Wednesday afternoon we took it (stroller-less this time) from Epcot to CBR and the ride took about 25 mins. We stopped and started probably 6 different times. When we got off at CBR we heard cast members telling people the line to Epcot was down, so not sure what the problem was.

So we have resort reservations at CBR and will go to breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. I thought about riding the skyliner to Epcot, then switching to the monorail. I've never been on the monorail at Epcot, so I don't know if the entrance is at the front or the back. I know it'll probably be faster just to use the bus to MK and catch the boat or monorail from there. But it'll be our first time to ride the skyliner, so I thought it might be fun. Is this even realistic or will this be a huge time drainer?

So we have resort reservations at CBR and will go to breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. I thought about riding the skyliner to Epcot, then switching to the monorail. I've never been on the monorail at Epcot, so I don't know if the entrance is at the front or the back. I know it'll probably be faster just to use the bus to MK and catch the boat or monorail from there. But it'll be our first time to ride the skyliner, so I thought it might be fun. Is this even realistic or will this be a huge time drainer?

The Skyliner will take you to the back of the park at Epcot and then you have to walk allllll the way through the park to get to the front to take the monorail. The Skyliner is fun but not that fun lol

A hugh time drainer. Skyliner goes to the International Gateway entrance of EPCOT. Taking the monorail to the MK requires entering EPCOT, using a park admission, a hopper if you plan on visiting any other park the same day then a long walk to the main entrance of EPCOT. Take the monorail to the TTC then transfer to the resort monorail.

Thank you! That's what I was wondering. I suppose we could catch a ride or 2 if we walked through Epcot, as we do have APs. BUT most likely we'll just ride the bus over. Thanks for the tip!
The Epcot Monorail gives a longer and more scenic ride coming to Epcot than leaving Epcot, so maybe ride some time when you're traveling from the MK area back to the resort, as long as it's before Epcot closing time. Then you can either walk thru to the Skyliner, or catch a bus from Epcot to CBR.

If you really want the skyliner couldn’t you ride to DHS and take a GF bus, as long as it’s not too early of a breakfast?

Travel at Disney is always a huge time drainer! We now use Lyft when we need to arrive at a certain time. Lyft to GF then monorail back to Epcot, skyliner to CBR.

What is Transportation showing on your MDE app? Does it indicate if the Skyliner is open or closed?

When we were there on Sunday-Tuesday, there wasn’t anything on MDE about the Skyliner. I thought for sure they would have something pop up saying that it was finally open but every time I looked, nothing. Even going to the bus stop when it wasn’t running, the times board said to ride Skyliner. I never saw a bus time show up for Epcot/HS on the app once the Skyliner opened. (Even when it wasn’t working)

If you really want the skyliner couldn’t you ride to DHS and take a GF bus, as long as it’s not too early of a breakfast?
That's actually a great idea! Our breakfast isn't until 11:30, so it's definitely doable. Then we wouldn't have to go through security at MK or transfer to the monorail/ferry boat. Thank you!

We rode the Skyliner today with people who were staying at Pop. They said that the Skyliner was down for them this morning and they had to take a bus. But it was running again to PoP/AoA this afternoon.

The Skyliner is fun and not hot unless it stops for awhile, and we are having 90 degree weather. When the lines are short they don't add anyone to your group. When there are lines then they will put people together. The most we've had is 7 in a car but usually there are only four or five at a time. People have been friendly and we've talked to plenty of people who are riding with us. :) They have let people roll the strollers on, not fold them up.

We got in yesterday (staying at Pop) and took Skyliner to CBR just for a joy ride in the late afternoon. Ended up taking it to Epcot as well, then decided to hop on a friendship boat to Boardwalk for dinner and dessert, back on friendship boat over to DHS, stopped at Guest Relations to get our tickets prioritized, and then on the Skyliner back to CBR and then Pop. It was a fun adventure!

Some quick thoughts:
1. We were all shocked at how breezy it was in there! My hair was blowing all over the place. It was way cooler than walking outside. We frequent Breckenridge in the summer and can’t do their gondola because it’s always so stifling hot. The ventilation in the Skyliner is fantastic. Only downfall is if it stops. It got a little stuffy but we didn’t stop for very long.
2. Vents can be opened or closed fairly easily with a little muscle.
3. We rode four separate legs and had a wrapped gondola each time.They are definitely hard to see out of. We were hoping we’d get an unwrapped one but it seemed like there are more wrapped than unwrapped.
4. Out of those four legs we only rode with another family once (we were a party of four and they were as well). It wasn’t too awkward sharing with them. It’s a fairly large space inside.
5.Nighttime has lights under the benches so it’s not pitch black.
6. The audio system tells little facts along the way about what you’re flying over.
7. We made it from Hollywood Studios to our room at Pop in 15 minutes! That was nice. It wasn’t closing time though so no line at all.
8. Saw single strollers being rolled on, but saw double strollers folded.
9. When we got to CBR the line going to Epcot looked insane. We went down and stopped at Joffrey’s for some drinks and came up 5 mins later and the line was pretty much gone by then. We were impressed with how fast it moved.
10. I think I’m in love with this form of travel. It is really so peaceful and relaxing riding in them. I could have fallen asleep. The kids and husband enjoyed it too.

Heading to DHS tomorrow for rope drop so won’t take the Skyliner since it doesn’t open early enough. I called to find out if the busses are still running in the morning to that park and they insist they are and start at 5:15 AM. Will update tomorrow if we have any issues.

10. I think I’m in love with this form of travel. It is really so peaceful and relaxing riding in them. I could have fallen asleep. The kids and husband enjoyed it too.
We arrived Wednesday and love the Skyliner. I was surprised at how breezy it got in them, too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter