Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
By 2010, DH may be retired, and so, we're a bit too late to enjoy the benefits. For now, DH has fewer vacation days, so we go long weekends. I'm going to the web site now.

Bobbi:)

PS. It gives us a break for Marathon weekend 2010! But it does a job on our VB trip in June, hopefully in a beach cottage. Good and bad, about what we all can expect, I guess.

From the member website:

"Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts

To help address a growing Member interest in weekend stays at Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney Vacation Club has adjusted 2010 Vacation Points charts, reducing Vacation Point requirements for Friday and Saturday nights.

In addition to better reflecting the changes in Members' vacationing patterns, the adjusted charts make accommodations more affordable during many popular Walt Disney World® events, such as Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and ESPN The Weekend.

To make this change possible, Vacation Point requirements for some instances of Sunday-Thursday stays are now higher. However, a full week's stay will essentially cost the same amount of Vacation Points as before."

For us, this doesn't really make a difference as our stays are usually a full week or longer anyway.

I'm happily surprised to see that it really has little impact on our normal vacation habits. Our currently booked June 2009 studio reservation of 8 nights will be 6 points less in 2010, and our recently completed December 2008 1 bedroom stay of 10 nights (we're not going until January 2010), will be 7 points more. Overall a one point increase per year. :)

More work for Bill and his vacation planner program, though.

can you provide a link because i cant find it anywhere..would be curious as well because this could really hurt me

Wow, I am not a happy camper. We always made good use of the Sun-Thurs. points, do 3-4 trips a year, and stretch those points out.

Our annual trip at BCV in May/early June goes up 4 pts. per night for a 1 b/r or 5 pts. per night for a 2 b/r.....that translates to 25 more points for the 2 b/r! 170 pts. vs. 195 pts. With a 210 pt. contract at BCV that makes a big dent.

Makes me glad we didn't add on at BLT. DVC is starting to lose some if its luster imo.

Now off to see how messed up my standard view rooms at BWV has become....

What's with the 2010 point charts? All of the Sun-Thu points per night have been increased! They lowered the Fri-Sat points per night, but to make up for it, they increased Sun-Thu.

I don't think that's fair! When I bought my membership I bought an amount of points that would give me a certain number of Sun-Thu vacations every year! Now I don't have enough. My guide swore to me that the points per night rates were locked. I am really upset over this.

Agreed. This may keep me from signing that contract.

I suspect that they are having difficultly with open rooms on weekends.

I usually book Saturday to Friday. For my AKV 6/14-20 stay this year in a savannah view studio it was 105 points, next year 110. BWV 12/5-11 in a 1 bedroom bw view is 155, next year 158.

can you provide a link because i cant find it anywhere..would be curious as well because this could really hurt me

From the member site home page, click on News(at the top), then What's New. Scroll down the page and it's one of the links of the newest announcements (I think it's the third or fourth news item in the list).

What's with the 2010 point charts? All of the Sun-Thu points per night have been increased! They lowered the Fri-Sat points per night, but to make up for it, they increased Sun-Thu.

I don't think that's fair! When I bought my membership I bought an amount of points that would give me a certain number of Sun-Thu vacations every year! Now I don't have enough. My guide swore to me that the points per night rates were locked. I am really upset over this.

It may or may not seem fair, but it's allowable under the contract. Your guide may have not have explained it clearly, but the TOTAL NUMBER of points for a resort is fixed. Per-night points are not. In other words, if they decrease the point requirements for certain days, dates, villa types, etc, they must increase point requirements for some other day, date, or villa type, so that it balances out - so that the total number of points remains the same.

But, regardless of what your guide said, it's explained in the contract.

For some people, this will be a bad thing. For others (like me), it's great. It means I can do more Fri-Sat stays, which means I can use fewer vacation days. Sorry that it didn't work out well for you.

I am disappointed. We are Sun-Thurs people, and only have 150 points. I know that this was a possibility and allowable, but I am still disappointed. I'm sure we will adjust our habits, like not inviting family to go with us and making due with one bedrooms and studios.

I do look forward to some of the more dramatic posters take on this.:)

It may or may not seem fair, but it's allowable under the contract. Your guide may have not have explained it clearly, but the TOTAL NUMBER of points for a resort is fixed. Per-night points are not. In other words, if they decrease the point requirements for certain days, dates, villa types, etc, they must increase point requirements for some other day, date, or villa type, so that it balances out - so that the total number of points remains the same.

But, regardless of what your guide said, it's explained in the contract.

For some people, this will be a bad thing. For others (like me), it's great. It means I can do more Fri-Sat stays, which means I can use fewer vacation days. Sorry that it didn't work out well for you.

To expand on this...somewhere in your Public Offering/Contract info there should be a maximum possible adjustment showing the points per night if the charts were re-allocated so all seasons/nights were equal.

to put it nicely the sunday through thursday crowd (ie me) just got thrown under the bus...i realize its legal just doesnt seem fair

I don't think its a big deal in the big scheme of things, but I think the total weekly points is a problem.

We bought the number of points to stay one week in a one bedroom savannah view. Now, looking at the charts, the point requirement is one higher.

Although I realize they can do this, the fact that they say a "To make this change possible, Vacation Point requirements for some instances of Sunday-Thursday stays are now higher. However, a full week's stay will essentially cost the same amount of Vacation Points as before" is incorrect, because one point is one point. You cannot add on one point to adjust for this.

Also, this change effects AKV Kidani, which anyone who purchased, hasn't even stayed at yet, and already are seeing a fairly major adjustment.

When Disney does these things, they need to consider the impact of those decision in terms of people needing more points. One point is one point, there isn't an option to buy one point.

I plan to call my guide and member services about this to see what can be done. I also find it somewhat interesting that this is after they just raised the point requirements at some resorts in addition to the price increases.

I have to say..I think it stinks too! The only way it stays the same is if you go for seven days. If you only go for a weekend it is good but what if you want to go 8,9 or 10 days? You now have to use more points for those extra nights!! :confused3

its a big problem for people who stay sunday - thursday my stay at HHI will o up 25 points which i dont have...this could lead me to sell my points which i dont want to do

I trusted my guide ( he told me points will never change), and I did not read the contract word for word....
I personally did not think the points per night could ever change...
Oh well, live and learn, but not happy w/ DVC playing w/ the points system.

Wow--now I'm really upset! :sad2: I figured the overall weekly points would stay the same, just adjusting for weekday vs. weekend. We JUST added on 25 AKV pts so that we could go every DEC (1st week) in a 1bdrm Sav. view. It WAS 205 pts., which is what we have. Now in 2010 the same week will be 206!!!!!! One pt short????

Perfect...a magic stay in BLT 1bdrm LV is now 1 pt LESS than what we have. So now to travel when we want, I will no longer be able to make a one week stay at AKV...I'll only be able to reserve 6 days and then WAIT 4 months for my ONE EXTRA BLT point to become available so I can HOPEFULLY reserve day 7!!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but I'm ready to throw up now.

I have to say..I think it stinks too! The only way it stays the same is if you go for seven days. If you only go for a weekend it is good but what if you want to go 8,9 or 10 days? You now have to use more points for those extra nights!! :confused3

Some of the weekly totals have changed also. I'm just glad they did not reallocate the seasons, I like early December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter