Disney Wish - First reviews from the media cruise - biased?

With American vloggers, you have to translate, 'amazing/wonderful/omg best time ever!' Means that it is good. 'Good' means it is alright. And 'alright/okay/fine' means meh. ;)

American English is a very hyperbolic language to begin with, but vloggers take it up a notch.

But they started with a clean sheet of paper and included a bunch of new, innovative things.
I am probably forgetting something, what do you call innovative?

The Aquamouse maybe because water slides normally don't have a lift hill, but I think there is a reason for that. It takes up space, costs more money & energy with every person sliding than a normal slide.

And I think it takes away from the anticipation. You have to climb all those stairs to the top. So you are making an effort. You are waiting in line at the top, most people have a little bit of anxiety when standing at the top of a really high slide, as your brains are thinking 'is this safe/this is not a normal every day situation, how should we react'. And then you have to make the decision go or no go. The pay off is bigger and better of all the things you have to do before sliding. This slide which seems to be decided for the people in Wall-E.

Yup it’s true we are on same sailing and August 26th
The only “issue” is that you under this policy you can’t move it to a new “restricted or guaranteed” category stateroom. For example we looked at Disney Dream or Fantasy around the same date but the only decent rates at this point are booking VGT. Well it says that it’s for new bookings only, can’t move from another sailing to it. Bummer.

*** from DCL when trying to book an IGT/OGT or VGT sailing ***
  • This category and pricing can be applied to new bookings only. If you have an existing reservation and want to change to a restricted-fare category stateroom, you'll need to cancel the existing reservation and make a new reservation. Any cancellation fees regarding the original reservation will apply.

Last edited:
I am conflicted about this ship. Much of the previous ships vibes were elegant yet fun and welcoming. A variety of locales from chill to exciting exist. The Wish just seems like the intention is to add an extra layer of gaudy and loud. Can one relax on this ship and decompress ? Isn’t that what a cruise vacation is at its core ? Too early to tell but that’s my first impression

I am thankful for the reviews and videos. I can now say that the Wish appears to be very underwhelming. There is technology on other cruise lines that I feel should be a minimum requirement that the Wish is lacking
What other technology would you have liked to see?
I haven't noticed, is it still Key to the World Cards instead of Magic Bands? Even Princess has their version of Magic Bands. I haven't sailed Princess, but it's really cool that your door unlocks upon approach.
We regularly sail on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's newest ships. None of them have a magic band kind of device. For which I am grateful,
I am probably forgetting something, what do you call innovative?
How about the LNG power plant?

Oh, yes, I was thinking about innovation the passengers will notice. As in innovative new ways of entertainment, dining, other experiences.
I understand there are new virtual reality games to be played

I understand there are new virtual reality games to be played
This one, you mean? It can be fun, I do wonder if they can make it 'real'. As in, they say on the video you have to look up, not down at your screen, and play / work together with your family. It should be more and better than Pokemon Go.

When you look at what other cruise ships have nowadays: go kart, laser games, carrousels, surfing simulation, ziplining, a roller coaster, all kinds of crazy water slides.

When you look at the title of this article 'the best cruise ships for those who never want to grow up', it screams Peter Pan and Disney, but Disney didn't make the list. On other cruiselines adults have more options to play and be a kid again.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-fun-cruise-ships/

I think why it feels underwhelming is that we cannot see the hand of an imagineer in it. It lacks imagination. A sense of wonder is missing, I think.

I could be fully wrong, maybe it is the most innovative, imaginative ship ever. I am just not seeing it at the moment.

The only “issue” is that you under this policy you can’t move it to a new “restricted or guaranteed” category stateroom. For example we looked at Disney Dream or Fantasy around the same date but the only decent rates at this point are booking VGT. Well it says that it’s for new bookings only, can’t move from another sailing to it. Bummer.

*** from DCL when trying to book an IGT/OGT or VGT sailing ***
  • This category and pricing can be applied to new bookings only. If you have an existing reservation and want to change to a restricted-fare category stateroom, you'll need to cancel the existing reservation and make a new reservation. Any cancellation fees regarding the original reservation will apply.
We decided to switch from the Wish to the Dream. Booked the VGT rate. Called DCL and they were able to cancel the Wish and have our deposits moved to a new booking on the Dream. Same dates in Sept. Took a little sweet talking and had to be "approved" by guest services so YMMV.

This one, you mean? It can be fun, I do wonder if they can make it 'real'. As in, they say on the video you have to look up, not down at your screen, and play / work together with your family. It should be more and better than Pokemon Go.

When you look at what other cruise ships have nowadays: go kart, laser games, carrousels, surfing simulation, ziplining, a roller coaster, all kinds of crazy water slides.

When you look at the title of this article 'the best cruise ships for those who never want to grow up', it screams Peter Pan and Disney, but Disney didn't make the list. On other cruiselines adults have more options to play and be a kid again.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-fun-cruise-ships/

I think why it feels underwhelming is that we cannot see the hand of an imagineer in it. It lacks imagination. A sense of wonder is missing, I think.

I could be fully wrong, maybe it is the most innovative, imaginative ship ever. I am just not seeing it at the moment.

But many of those extra things cost more to do and add up quick. While some are really neat for most people its a one and done and they move to something else, they don't create hours and hours of entertainment. Personally I don't think a ship needs to start looking like the tacky tourist strips in popular destinations.

I would have liked to see the wish do an updated version of midship detective since really it isn't hard and doesn't take up much space and do a bit better with the pools/slides. I am more interested to see what they do with the next ship which will be the longer night one. With 3-4 night cruises there really is only so much time.

But many of those extra things cost more to do and add up quick. While some are really neat for most people its a one and done and they move to something else, they don't create hours and hours of entertainment. Personally I don't think a ship needs to start looking like the tacky tourist strips in popular destinations.

I would have liked to see the wish do an updated version of midship detective since really it isn't hard and doesn't take up much space and do a bit better with the pools/slides. I am more interested to see what they do with the next ship which will be the longer night one. With 3-4 night cruises there really is only so much time.
I get what you mean, but the risk Disney is taking by playing it safe, is coming across as old-fashioned to new cruisers. When you sum up what you can do on the Wish vs. Other ships released in the last few years, it can come across as boring.

Disney is attracting people who already like them. And I am not sure that is a good business model. I think you can compare it to when Disney opened Animal Kingdom vs. Universal's Wizarding World. It was clear who had a better and more exciting product. Universal became a destination for a full vacation instead just one day.

Last edited:
ITA. My family all gets stressed out in loud restaurants. One has legitimate sensory sensitivities with loud noises. We wouldn't be able to even eat in these 2 dining rooms on this ship. I really wish Disney would be a bit more chill with the dinner entertainment. People need some downtime too, and it's also hard for the serving team to do a good job with all that noise going on.
Agree110%! I don’t have any interest in a Marvel themed dinner with movie clips constantly playing in the background. Dinner is a time to regroup with family, enjoy the food, and talk about the day. Frozen is even more annoying. Not sure if I’ll be sailing on the Wish. Though I know there are people who will love it and that’s great.

I have a number of criticism of the ship but i think the ship is getting a bit of an unfair wrap. There are some major improvements here as well as some downsides and no one is focusing on the upsides.

the food looks to be a big step up.

the kids club look incredible. You might not have kids but for families that do this is huge.

the restaurants are well themed and not in a cheap way either. Arrendale, marvel world and 1923 all look very immersive but not in a cheap disneyworld theme park way. The dinner shows and videos also look better then what you get at the themeparks (although ive only skipped through them to not spoil too much).

some of the criticisms are a bit unfair too:

disney have played it to safe and played to the same audience: well if they made another dream or fantasy it would be too safe. They have taken it a very different direction so i dont think it could be called safe. They are giving us more options. This can only be good.

its too disney themed: one of criticisms that often comes up from first time (and one time) disney cruisers is that there is not enough disney elements to justify the higher price tag. This ship seems to fix that complaint.

its not immersive enough: i disagree strongly here on the rotational restaurants and kids clubs. The atrium is also growing on me despite some corners being cut and it definately does not look like a typical hotel lobby. Im a bit disapointed in the star wars lounge with its white plain walls, but the lighting, screen and interesting cocktsils all look pretty cool. and the later is what is ultimately the most important.

it looks cheap: now while some corners may of been cut on the aqua mouse, atrium and star wars lounge after seeing the long walk through videos the last thing i can say is this looks cheap. The hallways, carpets, restaurants, lounges, theatres all look incredible. A step up in elegance in fact even if you dont like the theme. This does not look cheap.

i think some are focusing on what is worse compared to the other ships and not what is better to balance it out. The shoddy marketing that oversold (almost fraudulently oversold) concepts of the new ship is also not helping with our views of the ship. Likewise the ridiculous marketing of a 5000 dollar drink and multi story tower suite. Frankly their cheaper drinks look way cooler then the 5000 dollar one but they arent really being discussed in any of the media releases.

Last edited:
We decided to switch from the Wish to the Dream. Booked the VGT rate. Called DCL and they were able to cancel the Wish and have our deposits moved to a new booking on the Dream. Same dates in Sept. Took a little sweet talking and had to be "approved" by guest services so YMMV.
That’s great! Are you within 60 days of sailing though? We are 50 some days away and past final payment date.
I will email my travel agent (Dreams unlimited) and see what they say. The 4 night Disney Dream VGT is $1500 less than our Disney Wish 4 night same dates. There is also a 7 night Fantasy about $800 more for VGT, similar dates. I am not sure if DCL would want to give us any money back if we chose the Dream, Lol. Though we only just paid in full about a week or so ago. We also have 5 days in Disney world and if we changed to the Fantasy we would probably shorten the land portion. We have been to WDW for Christmas and Easter and mostly just added days around our Aug cruise as we normally do 7 night sailings and don’t want to go down to FL just for a 4 night cruise. i digress. Lol
I am glad you were able to change your sailing. Disney Dream is one we have not been on… we have been on the other 3, so it’d be great to try it too. Disney fantasy has Tortola which also interests us. They are all good. I’m sure we’ll enjoy the Wish but right now I’d change it if I could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter