Disney Wish Was Disappointing

We are currently on the 2nd leg of our Wish B2B and I really like the ship. Yes it’s got some bizarre quirks but overall once you adjust to it it’s easy enough to navigate.
One main difference is instead of the hallways being on the outside they are on the inside which definitely makes it feel really ‘hallway-ey’
The elevator numbers are definitely quirky I actually prefer the 2 banks and felt even at peak use they were more efficient especially as the indicators were perpendicular so it was really easy to see which was there..

I love the color palette of the teals & blues and love each elevator area is color coded-

The lack of storage space is the baffling one to us… especially with a decent ‘dead space’ that could’ve been storage space..

Didn't you hear? The Maiden Voyage cruisers got a 50% discount so their cruise was actually a bargain.
People who were booked on the original maiden that got cancelled got 50% off if they could transfer to the new date. Many could not. New people booking had to pay full fare.

Was Seas the Adventure still just a 30 minute show. We really didn't care for it. The featured characters were all the lesser know characters and I guess I like a little bit of a story instead of the characters all just coming out and singing a song. We also didn't care for the new Mermaid show. It seemed like a bad high school play that needed a lot more rehearsal.
Yeah, it was actually like 25 minutes once Jimmy was done with his 5 min intro with his "if you see it, eat it" mantra haha. I think, for me, that Disney almost tends to go a bit too cheesy or sappy with OG stage shows so I enjoyed the various one and done skits.

You're so right about Mermaid. There was something off and I just couldn't put my finger on it. BatB just feels like a more complete package with the sets, script, and acting.

BatB just feels like a more complete package with the sets, script, and acting.
To be fair, that's the best one and they've been doing it non-stop for many years, now. I bet that they'll get the new show up to the level of Aladdin after they've been doing it for a while.

Thanks for confirming my decision not to sail the Wish. I'm sad to say this but I think this is the direction DCL wants to head: more emphasis on concierge & other upcharge services, less on making the ship great for everyone. Less emphasis on quality design and thoughtful theming and more on boilerplate IP for the commercials. I just hope at least some of the Fab Four stick around Florida so those of us who prefer them can still sail them to Castaway Cay, instead of the newer ships.
This was in the Orlando Sentinel today
3A86170A-E050-4A3F-AC59-9266339D0508.jpeg

Maybe because she's so big?
Well, the Wish IS 14,000 tons heavier, but it is 1 foot shorter and 10 feet narrower than the Fantasy and Dream. So not sure I would consider it so big.

I thought 1923 was very nice even if I don't understand why the restaurant was split.
That was another very bizarre layout choice. It made no sense. And the awkward hallway in between the two sides of the restaurant also seemed like an unfinished area that almost appeared like you were really supposed to be there. It was just another example of how navigating that ship was a nightmare and seemed to make little sense.

I'm actually glad that Disney tried something new, though. Maybe it's not perfect, but that's OK.
I don't mind them trying something new either, but the issue here is that it is very very far from perfect, and that's not OK. When you are paying a significant premium for the price of the cruise over other cruise lines, sailing a failed experiment for the sake of change is not an acceptable situation to be in.

I truly do hope the next two ships get some serious re-development, but it would take some SERIOUS re-development for me to even consider sailing another one of these class of ships, and I hate having to say that because DCL is my favorite cruise line.

I don't mind them trying something new either, but the issue here is that it is very very far from perfect, and that's not OK. When you are paying a significant premium for the price of the cruise over other cruise lines, sailing a failed experiment for the sake of change is not an acceptable situation to be in.

I truly do hope the next two ships get some serious re-development, but it would take some SERIOUS re-development for me to even consider sailing another one of these class of ships, and I hate having to say that because DCL is my favorite cruise line.
To be fair, it's common knowledge that new ships command a premium over normal prices and that the first few months are going to be rough and unfinished. Just about every ship launches that way. It's not a great system, but it's not like Disney is some kind of exception here, either.

And I don't think it'll take much to fix up the new ships. Add some shade to Quiet Cove. Increase the size of some bars and lounges or move the furniture so that they have more usable space. Delete one or two of the useless jewelry shops and replace them with another lounge, or increase the size of Mickey's. Figure out a way to turn those two weird foot puddles into hot tubs in Quiet Cove. And, you know, actually finish the ship. I've seen pictures of temporary floor guides, unfinished walls, and so on. That's not OK.

None of those are massive changes, though, and I think they'd solve a lot of the problems that people seem to have. Disney certainly put effort into solving the initial problems on the Dream-class ships when they built the Fantasy and then retroactively applied to those fixed to the Dream, too. They'll do the same thing here with the Triton-class ships.

To be fair, it's common knowledge that new ships command a premium over normal prices and that the first few months are going to be rough and unfinished. Just about every ship launches that way. It's not a great system, but it's not like Disney is some kind of exception here, either.

And I don't think it'll take much to fix up the new ships. Add some shade to Quiet Cove. Increase the size of some bars and lounges or move the furniture so that they have more usable space. Delete one or two of the useless jewelry shops and replace them with another lounge, or increase the size of Mickey's. Figure out a way to turn those two weird foot puddles into hot tubs in Quiet Cove. And, you know, actually finish the ship. I've seen pictures of temporary floor guides, unfinished walls, and so on. That's not OK.

None of those are massive changes, though, and I think they'd solve a lot of the problems that people seem to have. Disney certainly put effort into solving the initial problems on the Dream-class ships when they built the Fantasy and then retroactively applied to those fixed to the Dream, too. They'll do the same thing here with the Triton-class ships.

When you sailed on the Wish, did you find the layout inspired or confusing?

To be fair, that's the best one and they've been doing it non-stop for many years, now. I bet that they'll get the new show up to the level of Aladdin after they've been doing it for a while.

The production is nothing like other DCL production shows. It is more Interpretive than the straight out story line.

MJ

I think one can argue why should they change things just to change them. For example renaming cabanas or the design of the doors. But then the other side one can argue if you’re coming out with a brand new product and making such high anticipation if you didn’t change things people would be like, if you’re rolling out a brand new ship why didn’t you change things?

Concerning drawers, I haven’t look at the exact layout but I would be so annoyed if that means I’m missing that main high drawer under the glasses because that’s where I just threw all of our “junk” that we collected over the sailing. Or maybe they’re going for more a international look as many countries don’t really used drawers like Americans and instead wardrobe shelves to put underwear and socks.

But the more I’m reading about the awish I’m so happy that we canceled our September sailing and instead are doing Norway and Iceland in the magic. Granted one day we will do the Wish and I will enjoy it most likely but when I looked at what I would be paying for those four nights versus a 10 night with the discounts right now it was a simple choice.

The only Wish cruise I have booked is the DVC MC next year. It seems like it will be the only Wish cruise we take. Coming up before that are two Dream cruises ( one‘s the TA in May) and a Pixar on the Fantasy.

Still, I do want to see the Wish for myself, but I don’t have high hopes. DSis wasn’t impressed.

Why are we still social distancing meeting characters? Hasn't this been back to normal in the parks for months now? There are no mask mandates or any other COVID restrictions other than needing to show proof of vaccine and a negative test, so why can't we hug characters again when we can in the parks, and the parks don't require any testing or vaccines. This has to be confusing for those people who book a WDW stay and then a cruise who were just able to hug characters on land but then get yelled at for doing the same thing on the ship.
While I agree that especially for those who have a land/sea trip it will be confusing.
But as mentioned in other threads about characters on DCL: there is probably one actor for Cinderella, one for Belle etc. If they catch covid, then there are no characters. I believe the character pool normally share cabins together or at least spend a lot of time together backstage.

If one character actor catches it, it will likely spread through the entire cast.

With socially distanced meets they have a better grip on this entertainment.

Some comments I find very interesting

1.) People say it's hard to navigate and then there are others who say once you figure it out or you look on the app at the map it's super easy and intuitive. I guess if I was on something new I'd be looking for a map of some sort to get around.

2.) People are resistant to change. Hell so many people didn't Happily Ever After when it replaced Wishes but now it's loved and people don't like Enchantment (this cycle will go on).

3.) A lot of people are assuming sizes are smaller but not understanding that perhaps the scale of those are proper but the percentage of adult v children is not normal demographics right now which is causing the feeling of the small size.

Overall, I haven't been on the Wish but I've watched enough videos to see some congestion in areas (the quick service eats for sure) and I'm certain just like always Disney will get things correct. Hell they already did a reservation through your device now when you board for Hypserpace.

Devils advocate here. I wonder if some of the negative sentiment are from people who have cruised are ready during Covid? By that I mean are these people who go from an experience of having an often less than half full ship, no lines or wait And a relative calm and more exclusive like experience since you’re not fighting over things with other passengers- to a crowded ship . From my understanding the sailings so far on the Wish have seemed Crowded and with wait times. I wonder if some of the comments on the pool situation have to do the fact that these are also crowded.?

Just laying it out there.

I just know that that was a teeny little thing that played a role in a setting to cancel and moving to the magic. The wish would be a lot more crowded and to be honest I quite enjoy having ships with less capacity field. Call me spoiled

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter