Disney World with fractured ankle

With flying the air cast might give you some issues with the change of air pressure. Can anyone chime in?
Flying with an aircast-- the change of air pressure in the airplane will make the aircast tighter (think of how a bag of chips puffs up at altitude). The aircast should come with an insufflator bulb (I don't know a lay term for that) that you use to adjust the amount of air. Decrease the air at the start of the flight (or early in the flight-- he'll feel it puff up), then you can re-inflate it when you land (because the descent of the plane will cause the pressure to go down in the air bladder).
good luck!

Flying with an aircast-- the change of air pressure in the airplane will make the aircast tighter (think of how a bag of chips puffs up at altitude). The aircast should come with an insufflator bulb (I don't know a lay term for that) that you use to adjust the amount of air. Decrease the air at the start of the flight (or early in the flight-- he'll feel it puff up), then you can re-inflate it when you land (because the descent of the plane will cause the pressure to go down in the air bladder).
good luck!
Thanks! That makes sense!

I'm not sure what the doctor was thinking - yes, technically you could use that kind of scooter standing on one foot, but you'd have to already be a fairly proficient user to do so. Especially for getting on and off! And there are a lot of places at WDW where the pavement wouldn't be nearly smooth or flat enough.

I would still keep wheelchair rental as a Plan B in case you get down there with Plan A and it turns out to be too tiring or too slow. Maybe look at a couple of rental places and keep their phone numbers/websites handy; they can get equipment to you pretty quickly if you decide you need it.

And I really can't stress enough how much easier the airport is with wheelchair assistance than it is struggling with crutches.

I'm not sure what the doctor was thinking - yes, technically you could use that kind of scooter standing on one foot, but you'd have to already be a fairly proficient user to do so. Especially for getting on and off! And there are a lot of places at WDW where the pavement wouldn't be nearly smooth or flat enough.

I would still keep wheelchair rental as a Plan B in case you get down there with Plan A and it turns out to be too tiring or too slow. Maybe look at a couple of rental places and keep their phone numbers/websites handy; they can get equipment to you pretty quickly if you decide you need it.

And I really can't stress enough how much easier the airport is with wheelchair assistance than it is struggling with crutches.
He actually doesn’t need crutches anymore - it’s an air cast so he can walk on it! He did great at school yesterday and said it was really easy to walk on and it didn’t bother him at all! But yes, I think we will most likely rent a wheelchair as a backup.

He actually doesn’t need crutches anymore - it’s an air cast so he can walk on it! He did great at school yesterday and said it was really easy to walk on and it didn’t bother him at all! But yes, I think we will most likely rent a wheelchair as a backup.
So good to hear. Have a wonderful trip.

A couple of things because I haven't seen it yet.... If he/you decide(s) on the stroller option, make sure you get a "Stroller as wheelchair" tag so you can take it in lines if needed. And as some encouragement to your son.... Tell him not to worry about a wheelchair that looks like a wheelchair. You're never going to see any of these people ever again. If anyone cares, their opinion doesn't count!! There will be other kids in wheelchairs. Other kids break their legs right before a vacation too.

I used a wheelchair in the parks once (longer story, but I love sharing the "full" story, so just ask), and this one girl who was in a cast looked a bit sad, but when she saw me, she looked at me gave me a huge smile. I'm not sure if it's because I also look "too young" to use a wheelchair, and so she felt a connection or what, but that's a Disney moment I'll always remember.

A couple of things because I haven't seen it yet.... If he/you decide(s) on the stroller option, make sure you get a "Stroller as wheelchair" tag so you can take it in lines if needed. And as some encouragement to your son.... Tell him not to worry about a wheelchair that looks like a wheelchair. You're never going to see any of these people ever again. If anyone cares, their opinion doesn't count!! There will be other kids in wheelchairs. Other kids break their legs right before a vacation too.

I used a wheelchair in the parks once (longer story, but I love sharing the "full" story, so just ask), and this one girl who was in a cast looked a bit sad, but when she saw me, she looked at me gave me a huge smile. I'm not sure if it's because I also look "too young" to use a wheelchair, and so she felt a connection or what, but that's a Disney moment I'll always remember.
Thank you!

Hi from someone spending too much time here because I broke my foot last week (but I'm a middle aged mom). I've broken my ankle twice and sprained both ankles more times than I care to admit (my current situation is actually my first foot injury ever).

Crutches are the WORST. I loved my aircast--I have a stupid giant boot this time and it's not nearly as nice. Keeping it elevated helps a lot--trying to get a window seat and propping it up may help some. My doctors always told me that if I could do it, it was fine--so if walking didn't hurt I could walk as much as I want.

On a related note, my very active mother was run over by a car and ended up totally immobile termporarily. This experience is from a cruise, but we used what's called a transfer chair instead of a wheelchair. My mom is about 95 pounds and 5' (and like I said usually very active in great shape). It's much smaller, lighter and more portable, but it doesn't have arms and the wheels are smaller. She could push it like it was a walker (often with a grandkid in it) when she wanted to walk instead (you cannot self-propel, someone has to push). She had a wheelchair but for her it was huuuuge (great seating for grandma + a grandkid or two though)!

Also, keep up with taking pain meds/anti-inflammatories and ice it when you can. I'm hoping for Disneyland in a month on the way home from Aulani. Good luck to your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter