Disney World with fractured ankle

Speaking as someone who's actually broken a bone during a Disney trip, I think he'll realize pretty quickly that trying to cope without a wheelchair isn't really a practical option. Once he comes to terms with that he'll have a great time.

Keeping the ankle elevated whenever possible is definitely going to help; I also advise taking whatever medication he ends up taking for pain and inflammation on a schedule instead of waiting for the pain to start. If you're at a Disney resort, Mousekeeping should be able to provide you with a shower chair.

While it sounds like there are enough adults going to push the wheelchair in the parks, you still may want to call the airline and request wheelchair assistance at the airport. It can make your life so much easier, especially if you have transfers.
Weirdly it's not that painful to him right now! I haven't even given him ibuprofen today and he was walking on it (with a brace) before we got the x-ray results back!

We got an appointment for tomorrow morning! :)
Best wishes they get it all laid out for you.

Re the WC, they might suggest the sort where the leg can be elevated at times.

If not in a walking cast, make sure to get one with crutch holders

What about a knee scooter? Not sure if that’s the right name. My adult DD had a broken foot with a boot and used a knee scooter. Thought it was great fun. But might be an issue with some of the hills and slopes at Disney.

I’d still get the wheelchair, but just thinking 11 year old might go for knee scooter before wheelchair.

Last edited:
What about a knee scooter? Not sure if that’s the right name. My adult DD had a broken foot with a boot and used a knee scooter. Thought it was great run. But might be an issue with some of the hills and slopes at Disney.

I’d still get the wheelchair, but just thinking 11 year old might go for knee scooter before wheelchair.
I wondered about that as an option as well!

Weirdly it's not that painful to him right now! I haven't even given him ibuprofen today and he was walking on it (with a brace) before we got the x-ray results back!

I think the knee scooter might be a good fit for him but hopefully you can ask the doc today. Wheelchair could work as well but the knee scooter looks like more fun for someone younger. I personally could never do it haha! I saw several people when I was there last week with walking boots just walking around. He may be able to do that as well if his fracture isn't as serious but that's definitely when the doctor's advice is needed. I think you may do just fine with your trip if he is relatively pain free and will agree to stop if it hurts.

Friend broke his ankle one week before our trip, they rented a wheelchair and the trip carried on. Good luck, you maybe able to get the DAS pass before you leave which can help with not pushing the chair through the lineups for rides.

I think the knee scooter might be a good fit for him but hopefully you can ask the doc today. Wheelchair could work as well but the knee scooter looks like more fun for someone younger. I personally could never do it haha! I saw several people when I was there last week with walking boots just walking around. He may be able to do that as well if his fracture isn't as serious but that's definitely when the doctor's advice is needed. I think you may do just fine with your trip if he is relatively pain free and will agree to stop if it hurts.
Getting him to stop when it hurts will most likely be the hard part! lol!

Great news from the doctor! He has no issues with us going on our trip and my son got an air cast so he can walk around on it! I mentioned renting a wheelchair and the doctor said that's fine if needed but my son could walk a fair amount on it (and he said if gets sore it won't actually hurt the healing process, based on where his fracture is), he also suggested a scooter for Disney World. He didn't say a knee scooter specifically so I think he's thinking of a kids scooter, but I don't think that would be allowed at Disney World, would it? I don't see it specifically listed as a mobility aid. I know we can't actually get DAS for this issue, but is it possible to call them and speak to them just to get the specifics of what mobility aids are allowed and how to access the lines, etc?

Great news from the doctor! He has no issues with us going on our trip and my son got an air cast so he can walk around on it! I mentioned renting a wheelchair and the doctor said that's fine if needed but my son could walk a fair amount on it (and he said if gets sore it won't actually hurt the healing process, based on where his fracture is), he also suggested a scooter for Disney World. He didn't say a knee scooter specifically so I think he's thinking of a kids scooter, but I don't think that would be allowed at Disney World, would it? I don't see it specifically listed as a mobility aid. I know we can't actually get DAS for this issue, but is it possible to call them and speak to them just to get the specifics of what mobility aids are allowed and how to access the lines, etc?
I am guessing doctor meant an ECV which is known as a scooter. I far as I know at son’s age don’t think you will find one that he can rent.

I am guessing doctor meant an ECV which is known as a scooter. I far as I know at son’s age don’t think you will find one that he can rent.
Yeah I don't think he meant that, just because he's a kid so he would know that he couldn't drive one. He kinda said "then you can scoot around people quickly! That would be fun!" which made me think he meant just a 2-wheeled kids scooter. The doctor actually looked a bit surprised when I mentioned the wheelchair, I think because my son is super active so he didn't think it would be necessary at all, but when I mentioned that we normally walked 30,000+ steps per day there he agreed that he might be a bit tired with that much walking! Hahaha!

He didn't say a knee scooter specifically so I think he's thinking of a kids scooter, but I don't think that would be allowed at Disney World, would it?
If you are thinking this as as "kids scooter"
1715264542224.png
Then, no, that won't be allowed. It's considered "recreational" by the rules:

As PP mentions, an "ECV" is often called a "scooter" but you won't be able to rent one for an 11-yr-old to use. Which puts the options back to a wheelchair or a knee-scooter.

Knee-scooter:
1715264769491.png

just because he's a kid so he would know that he couldn't drive one.
It is possible for a child to have their own, though it's much more likely to be a kid with a long-term disability and not a short-term injury. But it would be allowed IF the child brought their own; the challenge is that the rental vendors in Orlando will not rent for someone that young to use it.

If you are thinking this as as "kids scooter"
View attachment 858091
Then, no, that won't be allowed. It's considered a "recreational vehicle" by the rules:

As PP mentions, an "ECV" is often called a "scooter" but you won't be able to rent one for an 11-yr-old to use. Which puts the options back to a wheelchair or a knee-scooter.

Knee-scooter:
View attachment 858093
Yes thanks! That’s what I was thinking of and I’m not surprised it isn’t allowed! I’m assuming the doctor has no idea what’s allowed at Disney world, lol! I don’t think we would bother with an ECV, I think we can get around much easier without one! We found a wheelchair rental that looks more like a large stroller that we can easily fold up to get on the bus so I think that might be our best option! My son surprisingly said he would rather sit in one that looks like a stroller than one that looks like a wheelchair!

Yes thanks! That’s what I was thinking of and I’m not surprised it isn’t allowed! I’m assuming the doctor has no idea what’s allowed at Disney world, lol! I don’t think we would bother with an ECV, I think we can get around much easier without one! We found a wheelchair rental that looks more like a large stroller that we can easily fold up to get on the bus so I think that might be our best option! My son surprisingly said he would rather sit in one that looks like a stroller than one that looks like a wheelchair!
Going back to my other comment.......can you fit in the stroller? Any place to sit for 10 mins is fine by me. 🤣

Glad trip is still a go and you have air cast. Can he go swimming with it?

With flying the air cast might give you some issues with the change of air pressure. Can anyone chime in?

LOL! It's the age... some kids that age wouldn't be caught dead in a stroller, while others prefer it. Have a great vacation!
I was pretty surprised because he wouldn't even ride in a stroller when he was 5!

Going back to my other comment.......can you fit in the stroller? Any place to sit for 10 mins is fine by me. 🤣

Glad trip is still a go and you have air cast. Can he go swimming with it?

With flying the air cast might give you some issues with the change of air pressure. Can anyone chime in?
The doctor says he can just take it off to go swimming! Hmm, haven't heard that about the air cast but I can do a little research to see what I can find out! Thanks for bringing it up.

Good news for you!

Might want to consider renting something in your home area
I think we'll look into renting in Orlando. I'm not super concerned with the airport - we always take the same flight and it's not a ton of walking at either airport. He's at school now with only the air cast and I'm sure he's running around on it! Last night he chose to skip using crutches for most of the time and just ran around the house hopping on one foot! 🤪 This kid is super high energy, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter