DisneyDarwin back from 11/23 cruise -- sick!

DisneyDarwin

Mouseketeer
Continuing my efforts to cover everything that was happening on the 11/23 cruise, I contracted the virus on our last day. I shut down the piano bar, returned to our cabin, and went to bed feeling OK. I was up within the hour with the first of dozens of bathroom episodes. I had brought some medicine, just in case, but it was packed and gone! So, about 6am I went down to medical services --- a new part of the ship I had not previously seen. I filled out a CDC report with details about what I had eaten and where I had been over the last 3 days. They gave me some immodium for the diahrea and something else for the vomiting. The saddest part of the whole thing was seeing a couple of young girls (4 to 6 years old) also in the med center with their parents. Poor things.

In DCL's recorded shipboard message and in each letter they handed out, they always commented that only the common cold was more common than the Norwalk virus. That gave me an impression that like a routine cold, this was no big deal. Allow me to dispel that thought! I've had food poisoning and other gastro illnesses is the past, and I have never been beat up so hard before. I'm suring experiences vary from person to person, but my butt was thoroughly kicked. I've had ghiardia in the past and it wasn't this bad.

We flew back to Houston on a 1pm flight on Saturday. I was worthless, so my wife handled the rent car, the driving, the luggage, the tickets, etc. We had to pull off the road twice on the drive back. Longest flight of my life. I was conflicted on whether to fly home or hole up and ride it out in Orlando. The call of my own bed won out. I was very careful not to touch or interact with anyone or anything on the flight, but I was breathing so who knows if I inadvertently infected someone.

My wife and child are not sick...yet. We figure another day or two and they'll be safe. There was a lot of media at the port when we debarked, but I was too tired to pay any attention to them.

While I would have preferred not to get ill (I feel like I almost squeaked by) I am still happy we went. We had a great week and I don't feel like DCL screwed us in any way. People often look to find someone to blame these days. I prefer to think this is just one of those things that happens in life. They tried to combat it without taking the ship out of service, and we willingly chose to be a guinea pig to see if it worked.

That's it for now. I'm still sick, just in remission for a few minutes, so I thought I'd drop a new thread. I'm going to post a trip report in the next few days with details of the excursions we did, in case anyone has questions about them.

Oh NO, DisneyDarwin, we hoped you had escaped without catching anything! :(

I'm glad you still had a great time on the cruise and I hope you feel better soon. When you're feeling better we look forward to reading your excursion information.

Take care!

I am sorry to hear that you ended up not feeling well. I, for one am really grateful that you sent all of the notes that you did. I couldn't wait each time, to read your posts and would scroll past all of the other messages to find yours.

Again, sorry to hear you did get sick but you sure have a great attitude and am glad you enjoyed the most of your trip.

;)

:( I hope you get better soon...........
worse than ghiardia:eek:
that's baddddddddddd.

I do think alot of people may think this is just a mild stomach flu, but you have shed light on how devasting it can be and I would not wish it on anyone.

I do like your attirude and glad it did not ruin your entire trip. Please post as soon as you are "bathroom free" LOL!!!

MJ

Darwin,

Thanks for all your updates. Boy the lengths you won't go to in order to have the whole story. :)

On a serious note hope you are feeling better soon and that you wife and children miss it.

Wishing you all the best.

Oh I had hope you "escaped". Hopefully you will have the shortest form and be good as new in the morning. And I hope your family does not get it either. Get rest and get well soon!
Thanks for all your reports! Ann

Thank you for taking the time to post your reports As someone cruising on the Magic in two weeks I found them very informative. Take care and get better soon!

Sorry to hear you got the bug. I was on the cruise with you and I got 'lucky' at the beginning of the cruise. I must have been infected on Saturday or SUnday morning.

I agree about the power of the punch, however, getting it early on, I was able to go down to the med center, get the shot and sleep for 24 hours. I just felt horrible the next 24 hours (which was better than the first) and was able to somewhat enjoy Cozumel. I wasn't 100% until Castaway Cay, which is as great as everyone says it is!!!

I also agree with you about the way staff on the ship handled it. I was callled several times to make sure I was all right and my cabin hostess went out of her way to make my time in bed as painless as feasible.

Like you, I really enjoyed Greg and Julie (think that's their names), and regretted missing them for most of the cruise.

The worst is my wife is now saying she'll never go on another Disney cruise - I'm hoping that time will soften the negative memories and brighten the positives. I'd sure like to try one again under different circumstances.

Hope you get to feeling better! I'd like to thank you, also, for taking the time to keep us updated on your cruise.

Hope you are feeling back to your old self soon. I know how awful it is to get sick when you are not at home. Glad that most of your vacation went well...

I'm so sorry to hear you are sick! Thank you for your on board reports. It's good to know you managed to have such a great time, even though the possibility of getting ill must have been on your mind.

I hope your family escapes it & that you are fully recovered soon!

DisneyDarwin ~
So sorry you did not escape the virus.
Many good thoughts go your way.

I have seen many on this board joke about how they'd be willing to vomit for 2 days to get a free crusie. Let me tell you folks .....
NOT funny!!

Last year my daughter, son-in-law and 5 other families contracted similar virus at a get together. This is not your regular virus and not to be wished on your worst enemy!! I know what you all are dealing with and you and your family have my best wishes. ^i^

Sorry to hear of your illness. I hope you both enjoyd the portion of the cruise that you were well.

BCMBA What shot were you given? We visited our dr. upon returning home and he said the cure was rehydration and rest. I am not sure my dd had Norwalk as I never reported it and did not have her stools tested(sorry)I really don't think this was the case with her, but I did second guess myself when I heard of other people ill on earlier trips.However we were on the Nov 9 Magic and the day we got off the ship dd became ill. Thank
God not as severe as most of what I have heard.I hope both of you Bcmba and Disneydarwin and you families get well/stay well.
My ds and I are just getting over a stomache virus and I am diligent about hand washing.

Oh - DisneyDarwin - I was really enjoying all of your reports and living thru them!

I am ever so sorry to hear about you getting ill - I pray the rest of your family will bypass this!

I hope for a speedy recovery for you!

Take Care of yourself!

I heard that they had pulled the condiments over at Pinnochios. But, I wondered about the fruit bar and cookies over at Scoops. To me, that seemed like one of the most dangerous areas of all!!! People coming right out of the pool water (eewww!!!) at the Mickey Pool (even more eewwww!) and grabbing cookies, probably touching other cookies in the process. Same with the fruit.

I wouldn't be as worried about the drink station as I dont' think most people would be refilling their mugs there--- there are lots of disposable cups, and I just can't imagine putting milk in the refillables. On our cruise in September, while the drink station wasn't manned, there were consistently CMs there, straightening up as well as wiping down and cleaning.

As to the ice sculpture problem. . . Licking is just darn gross and unexcusable. But, while it may not be proper etiquette, the touching the ice with ones hands doesn't seem too bad as the ice is not intended for ingestion. Think of all the other things that are touched by multiple people every day--- the hand rails, the elevator buttons, the shuffle board supplies, the KTTW cards (yes, the CMs have the worst as they handle so many through the day. But, remember, the same CM that is coming in contact with all those other cards is then handling yours, so everyone is really impacted), the armrests at the theatres, etc.

DisneyDarwin --
Sorry you are experiencing the virus first hand! I hope you are feeling up to par soon. A couple questions ----

I read somewhere that they were checking the 'stools' of sick passengers --- was everyone asked to give a sample? :confused:

Since DCL gave all of these passengers the option to a refund and cancellation before they set sail --- did they offer any compensation to those that were ill? According to one of the many news reports --- all of the ill passengers on this trip too were offered 50% off another cruise. This surprised me -- I thought they would say 'sorry' but you had the option to cancel and chose to still travel with us after knowing the risk.

DisneyDarwin ~
So sorry to hear you became ill---I could almost feel the "pain" you must have gone through on the flight home :(
I was on the 11/3 Wonder cruise and disembarked on 11/7. I read somewhere here on the boards that there were a few ill on the 11/7 cruise ? This is the only mention that the virus (if it was the same one) hit the Wonder ? I feel so fortunate to have missed this awful virus by such a close call. My experience with the 11/3 Wonder cruise was wonderful (honestly, not meaning to rub it in).
Hoping you return to full health soon DsnyDarwin---and hoping your family evades it altogether ! Thanks so much for taking the time to post the report .

I heard that they had pulled the condiments over at Pinnochios. But, I wondered about the fruit bar and cookies over at Scoops.

The cookies were behind the counter at Scoops and doled out by the server. (There was probably a lot less waste this way, as well as helping to keep things sanitary!) The same thing with the fruit bar, there was a server there at all times.

Pretty much other than the drink station, there was a CM available to serve all food, condiments, etc...

As for the Mickey pool, I am not sure why they even bothered to open it. They closed it so many times per day, it was worthless. The first day there were a lot of obviously not potty trained babies in it. Talk about ICKY!! Later on, they had someone monitoring it every time I walked by. Same with the Goofy pool - lots of CMs hanging around. My DD8 barely used the pool (it was just too darned crowded), and I only let her use the hot tub first thing in the am. I would have made this rule virus or not - there were too many people in it for the chlorine to remain effective for long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter