DisneyLAND bound!!

Not sure if anyone will find this useful, but I made a little MS Paint version of the road closures around DL for my family since they're going to try to find some spots to cheer me on during the race:

roadclosures.jpg

Basically red means closed, with Ball road only closed eastbound and Katella closed Westbound, all others both directions. DL and CA are also labeled as well as the start (S) and finish (F). Oh and they didn't mention Anaheim Blvd as a road that's closed, but its part of the course so it must be, so I just put question marks on that section.

I'm going to recommend they use basically drive one block outside of the course to get around, although it looks like Katella eastbound will be open for access to the later miles, you'll just have to take Orangewood to get back, and Ball will be open to get back westbound, but will have to take the road north of that to get east early on. I have different people going to different places, sorry if this is totally confusing. :confused3

But hey, thought someone might find it helpful! Oh and about leaving at 4am, I too am staying within a half mile of the start and probably won't show up at the line until around 5. They're just in panic that with LA freeway traffic and the area being so compressed in comparison to DW that thousands of cars are just going to make impossible to get anywhere. Besides which with all those roads closing it'll be rough for those driving in at the last minute. Since you'll already have your number on, you could probably show up even after 5:30 and still make the race no problem, just have to make sure you're warmed up stretched and ready to go.

I'll probably still get up at 4, but just for my breakfast and nerves. :yay:

I know alot of you guys are staying at the Candy Cane Inn.

Is anyone else staying at the HoJos?
We get in Thursday night and stay until Wednesday the 20th. Our room has a balcony & view of DL - can't wait to see fireworks in my PJs from my room this weekend!

getnthinr said:
No way any WISHer is gonna get swept, Tracy! You've got your magic Dumbo feather and you are going to sail along to the finish line and that spectacular castle medal! If a 50-yr-old (TODAY!!!!! Happy BD to me) round, white-headed walker like me can do it -- ANYONE can!

You are too sweet! Here's hoping that Dumbo feather carries my Pooh-sized rear VERY QUICKLY!!! (Which for me is just barely 16 minutes a mile!)

Happy Birthday and thanks for the well-wishes!!!

Tracy

Well its official. I have full on TAPER MADNESS!!!!! :crazy: Yesterday I had so much nervous energy I didnt know what to do with myself. I've had my first race nightmare and thoughts of "what makes me think I can do this?!" (I thought I wouldnt have that since I've done this before) Me thinks the 5 hr plane ride is going to be rough. :dance3:

Today is my final trip to Wal Mart to get supplies for the guys I'm leaving at home & last minute stuff for me to pack. I cant believe its the day after tomorrow.

Hi, everyone! Must admit I am a frantic mess. Like Tiff, I thought I'd be okay since I've done this before but I am more nervous than ever -- I am going to be desperate for supportive WISHers on the course and the SCREAM TEAM!

Work is completely, utterly insane and for the first time ever in my life I have had serious thoughts about cancelling this trip. My amazing, God-sent secretary was here last night til 10 working on a crisis while I ran to open house at DS's school. Today is going to be no better and possibly worse.
SO, I also have lots of nervous energy and many worries. My hematologist has expressed serious concern about me flying for 6 hours because of my blood condition (clotting) and I guess that is in the back of my head, too. Leaving Jenn behind makes me sad, too. And knowing there will be at least 2 emergency proceedings while I am away that one of my partners will have to cover for me is totally stressing me out.

Howard is completely frazzled this week, too, dealing with a potentially serious vehicle repair before we go away and trying to finish a project and take an economics test a week early because of everything he'll miss next week -- of course when we signed up for the DL 1/2, he had no job and going back to school for his MBA was just a pipedream, so pulling this off now under all the changed circumstances will be a miracle. And the fact that he hasn't gotten out to run at all since September 2? I am just going to keep telling him he is in a really good, solid taper! ;)

Sorry for the downer post. I really AM excited. Just need to get past all this stuff. And I keep reminding myself that others are dealing with real problems -- mine are nothing comparatively.

keenercam said:
Hi, everyone! Must admit I am a frantic mess.

I'm so sorry for all the craziness you're dealing with right now, but good for you that you are following through with your plans. :thumbsup2 (Except the blood-clotting thing makes me a little nervous, so you'd better know what you're doing there! I assume you've made an informed, intelligent decision.)

I can't tell you how many times I've felt the same way before a race. Oftentimes so many things conspire against us when we're trying to reach our goals. That's why, regardless of how we finish, each of us should always give ourselves credit for getting to the start line. With the frantic pace of our lives today, it's remarkable that we've maintained the commitment and determination to train and follow through with our race plans. So many folks tell me they'd like to do a marathon, but they can't or won't do what they must to make their dream a reality. You are! Good for you! :cheer2:

See you in just a few days!!!!!

:wave: Hi, everyone!!!

Pat is bringing the nametags and I have a lime green WISH flag. Hopefully, we'll get to Napolini's early so no one has a problem finding our group!

Just a suggestion for those of us that have long flights....Airborne! A vitamin packed tablet that dissolves in water you take to help ward off colds, etc. I know it hasn't been proven to help..but mentally it sure works! And, hey, it couldn't hurt! We've worked too long and trained well to be felled by a virus or germ!

To all my team mates with work, financial, and family concerns pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: and MORE pixiedust: !! :sunny: Anne

lesroi said:
You are too sweet! Here's hoping that Dumbo feather carries my Pooh-sized rear VERY QUICKLY!!! (Which for me is just barely 16 minutes a mile!)

Happy Birthday and thanks for the well-wishes!!!

Tracy

Tracy,

You won't be the only one in fear of the sweepers. My DW MrsTrx (Tracy also) will probably be at the back of the pack. But, I'll be back there with her running interference to keep the sweepers away and to try and keep her pace up. Feel free to join us. Don't fear the Sweeper.

Chester

We are on our way Thursady morning hope to see you all at Napolini - Sat @ 4 - Right?

Hm... I bet I'm the last one leaving for DL from the east coast... Flight doesn't arrive at SNA til 10am Sat... Means I have to stress out that much longer! :crazy: Might still be able to pop by the meet at 4 on the way to or from the expo though...

rKyDeX said:
Don't fear the Sweeper.

Now I have that song in my head...I love it! :rotfl:

I'll be near the back of the pack with you - I avg. a 13-14 min/mile pace. But that will increase due to the obligatory character pics & other picture taking along the way.

And during the Minnie, I got talking to people and kept forgetting to run every 5 mins.! :teeth:

See you guys Saturday for sure! We'll also try to ToT on Friday. I need lots of support if I am getting on that thing! :scared1:

Hey everyone!

Below is the list of DISers I'm going to be tracking for the DL half. I will post times as I get them in a separate link.

thndrmatt
TiffJ
Keenercam
getnthinr
Maherae
AprilN
Kristi1357 & DH Chad
lap3
wfloyd
TXBelle
goingthedistance

If you would like to add your name to the list, please send me a pm with your registered last name and first name. Or, if by chance I left your name out, please let me know ASAP.

:cheer2: Go DISers, go!!! :cheer2:

Man am I bummed I did not find this thread sooner! I will be looking for you all and rooting all the fellow dis'ers out there! :thumbsup2 :woohoo:

I am hoping to run the 5K with DH and DD6 and DMom will be walking somewhere in the middle. (I too will be walking at times I suspect!)

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

Johnna 9/15-9/19 Paradise Pier

tinkryansmom said:
I am hoping to run the 5K with DH and DD6 and DMom will be walking somewhere in the middle. (I too will be walking at times I suspect!)

Johnna 9/15-9/19 Paradise Pier

Johnna - Chad & I are doing the 5k also. I'll have my lime green WISH bracelet on!

rKyDeX said:
Tracy,

You won't be the only one in fear of the sweepers. My DW MrsTrx (Tracy also) will probably be at the back of the pack. But, I'll be back there with her running interference to keep the sweepers away and to try and keep her pace up. Feel free to join us. Don't fear the Sweeper.

Chester

Aww, thanks for the encouragement! Now everyone can just yell "Go Tracy" for us back-of-the-packers and they will cover everyone! :goodvibes

I will be singing "Don't fear the Sweeper" now!!! (And waddling as fast as I can!) Maybe I can talk my hubby into coming back after he is done in something crazy like 1:30 to hold off the sweepers too!

Tracy

lesroi said:
Maybe I can talk my hubby into coming back after he is done in something crazy like 1:30 to hold off the sweepers too!

I'll tell Chad he has to double back once he finishes also! :rotfl:

Kristi1357 said:
I'll tell Chad he has to double back once he finishes also! :rotfl:
Hi, everyone! Getting so outrageously PSYCHED here!

Just wanted to let you all know that at the WDW 1/2 I don't think they let anyone back on to the course.

We leave Friday morning so only 2 more sleeps! :cool1:

For everyone travelling already or who has already arrived -- we will see you on Saturday at Napolini's. Can't wait!

keenercam said:
Just wanted to let you all know that at the WDW 1/2 I don't think they let anyone back on to the course.

I think we all knew that Cam - just trying to be silly! :teeth:

I have a bazillion things to do today since we fly cross country all day tomorrow. I'll see you guys Saturday! :yay:

Kristi1357 said:
I think we all knew that Cam - just trying to be silly! :teeth:

I have a bazillion things to do today since we fly cross country all day tomorrow. I'll see you guys Saturday! :yay:

It would be so cool, though, wouldn't it? I keep thinking about seeing Kathy and Erin and Lynne right at the end of the Minnie before the FINISH and how that re-energized me! :goodvibes: At all of my 5Ks, Howard has been able to double back and bring me water and clue me in to the topography and course characteristics heading toward the FINISH. Of course, I am usually alone at the very, very back of the pack for those races. At least at the Disney races there are others with me, so that even if I can't see where I am going, I can follow other participants. :blush:

So, did you get the will done? Make sure you write out an appointment of guardian letter if you have to do that in your state and have it signed by both of you. Hate to think of this stuff, but we all do anyway. I also always leave a medical authorization permitting the person watching the kids to authorize emergency and non-emergency care. AND, you are going to laugh at this -- I also leave a medical authorization for our furbaby! :dog:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter