• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland newbie with Logistics/travel questions

Do you tip car services? If so, how much?
You'll find your tip is included. They add 20% and have told me numerous times not to worry about it because it's on the included fare - you can see it has been added when they send the quote/bill thru.

As for unique things at DTD not really. I do like some of the restaurants and love Wonderground Gallery but most of it is generic shops etc
But as I said, it's right there, so easy to go for a quick look around.

My kids did have fun recently doing a little droid race there - they have quite a lot of little pop up experiences, the ice cream is great too!

You'll find your tip is included. They add 20% and have told me numerous times not to worry about it because it's on the included fare - you can see it has been added when they send the quote/bill thru.

As for unique things at DTD not really. I do like some of the restaurants and love Wonderground Gallery but most of it is generic shops etc
But as I said, it's right there, so easy to go for a quick look around.

My kids did have fun recently doing a little droid race there - they have quite a lot of little pop up experiences, the ice cream is great too!
Agreed about DTD being of limited interest right now. I was just there a week ago and it currently is filled with lots of construction walls and closed shops. As of now, the entire west side by DLH is under construction, except Wonderground opened a temporary location in the old ESPN Zone. The DTD monorail station has construction in front of it. The south side on the site of the old AMC is walled off and under construction. Ralph Brennan's is walled off and under construction. The normal Wonderground and Home Goods stores are closed and walled off. La Brea is now closed on the other end of DTD.

There's certainly still things to do, but goodness there is A LOT of construction and closures right now. Curious how much of this is done by the busier spring break season and certainly summer. The old AMC construction is moving at a snail's pace.

Though it does take longer with Metrolink vs Amtrak.

I'm getting less than a 10 minute difference. Of course it's because Metrolink stops at a lot of stations in between, while the Surfliner only stops at Fullerton.

I'd think there might be a few considerations. Metrolink is free for children 5 or under with an adult. Amtrak is free under 2, although I've heard Amtrak conductors joke about seeing "the same one year old" for several years.

Amtrak California's Pacific Surfliner does have a Disneyland promotion where it's 20% off their fares with the V712 promo code. I've used it to get a discounted fare to/from the Bay Area, including the bus connection. It's a $60 fare but $48 with the discount. And I've taken it northbound from LA instead of Anaheim. Heck - last time I did take it from Anaheim but a conductor didn't even check my ticket until we were at maybe Oxnard.

SAVE 20% ON TRAIN TRAVEL TO ANAHEIM
Use promo code V712 to save 20% on your trip to Anaheim. Simply use our booking tool to explore options and prices. Make sure “Adult” is selected as the passenger type.​

Also - there are some ART and OCTA rides that are free with a valid Metrolink or Amtrak ticket. I didn't use ART that way since I already bought passes. I took OCTA once but was prepared to pay the $2 fare to go less than a mile (had a sprained knee that was getting progressively tougher to walk on) but had my Amtrak ticket tucked under the bills, and the driver saw it and said I didn't need to pay if I was just going to the station. It (OCTA 53) wasn't one of their listed buses that the Pacific Surfliner website mentions (just OCTA 50), but I wasn't going to argue with the driver.

ANAHEIM STATION: Free transfers to Orange County Transportation Authority and Anaheim Resort Transportation buses.​
  • Disneyland® Resort: Anaheim Resort Transportation Route 15 (request ride).
  • Anaheim GardenWalk: Anaheim Resort Transit Route 15 (request ride) or OCTA Route 50 (16 minutes).
  • Anaheim Convention Center: OCTA Route 50 (16 minutes) or Anaheim Resort Transit Route 15 (request ride).

But the Metrolink website says something different (about Amtrak). Sort of.

OC Bus routes that directly connect with Metrolink and Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains at or near rail stations will honor valid Metrolink and Amtrak tickets and passes. Passengers must show a valid Metrolink or Amtrak pass or ticket, swipe a valid OC Bus pass, or pay the cash fare to board. <snip schedule link>​
The following OC Bus routes accept valid Metrolink tickets as full fare for travel to and from stations: 1, 21, 24, 25, 26, 29, 38, 43, 47, 50, 53, 54, 56, 57, 59, 70, 71, 83, 85, 86, 90, 91, 143, 153, 453, 463, 472, 473, 480, 543, 560, 862; iShuttle routes 400A, 401B, 402C, 403D, 404E, 405F​

I certainly like taking the Pacific Surfliner, but I'm not sure about using it to get from the airport. The timing isn't necessarily the greatest. LA Metro (especially route 460) might be better, but there's the issue of luggage on a bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter