Disneyland On Points

nezy

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of going to visit friends in California and I was considering a stay at Disneyland using my points.
I am interested in learning about your experinces:
which hotel, roomtype, how to get around.

I know WDW so well, but have no clue about the land on the left coast!

We did DL twice last year, we didn't use points, but we did stay at DL hotels. We stayed at Grand Californian on the first trip and it was very nice. There is an entrance to California Adventure right at the hotel. DL is a short walk through DTD to the entrance.

We also stayed at Paradise Pier and it was a great room (less expensive, too). It was an easy walk to both parks from PP, too. The monorail stop at DTD was down for our second trip, so we walked all the way to both parks (a few times we entered CA through the GC entrance).

What is nice about DL is the compactness of the resort. You can walk everywhere. No need for a car unless you want to go areas away from DL like the beach or other areas in L.A.

Have stayed at GC and DLH on points and felt it was a good use of them. I personally preferred the room at DLH as it was much bigger than the one at CG. The CG is a beautiful hotel but we did not stay in the room enough to make it worth the extra points we used to stay there. We also went over to the PP and used the pool which is on the roof of one of the sections.

We had a room overlooking the ectrance portico and parking lot at GC that was not as big as some moderates at WDW ( at least that is how it felt). They had no roll aways just a pad for the floor and a sleeping bag. The one at DLH was an upgrade to a pool view with 2 queen beds and and a day bed that was a full twin size which worked well as we had two teens of different sex with us so didn't have to get a roll-a-way (which DLH didi have). That room also had a small bar area with a frig about the size of the ones in the studios ar DVC resorts. The GC did have a wet bar with enough space to put 1 or 2 cans of soda along with all the stuff they had in there.

The points vary greatly depending on the day and the season you want to go...

As for where to stay, I reccomend the GCH..It is truly a five star experience...Definitely far superior to any WDW hotel. All the rooms are recently redone with plasma televisions...There is nightly turndown service with scents and chocolates, plush robes in every room, huge mattress like pool loungers...Just to name a few. If you can stay there, don't pass it up. We have traveled extensively and the level of service at GCH is outstanding.

Of course, The DLH is where the magic all began....I do not think there is a bad choice in this scenario.

I bought my share of DVC with the idea I'd be using the points a lot for DL. I have used them once so far and will be using them for another trip in November. Both points trips will be at the DLH, and in between I got a pretty good package deal to stay at PPH.

DLH is the cheapest for some reason with points even though with cash PPH is cheapest. Sounds like for some reason DVC demand is higher at PPH, but I'm not sure why... I loved all the Beach Boys music, but overall, loved DLH much better. It is closer to DTD and is steps away from the monorail station which will take you to Tomorrowland. The monorail will at times be only for hotel guests and runs during EE too... And the TL stop is right at the subs.

Points-wise, you can stay @ DLH for 19 points a weeknight during value season. Peak season the same room goes for 26 points. They are good about upgrading DVC members from standard to premium view if there are rooms available. That happened on my first trip, although for my upcoming trip they didn't have standard available within the DVC allotment (maybe they'll upgrade us to concierge? ;)). PPH goes from 20 to 31 for standard from value to peak, GCH 24-33 standard room. Incidentally, the GC entrance to DCA is good for all people staying on property, but obviously works best for those staying at GCH. It also has an entrance right into about the middle of DTD.

I bought my share of DVC with the idea I'd be using the points a lot for DL. I have used them once so far and will be using them for another trip in November.

Just wondering ... do we have to find air & ground transportation on our own or does MS help with that? Also, can we get their dining plan?

We are thinking about doing DL, but have never been there before and are fairly new to DVC :wizard:

Just wondering ... do we have to find air & ground transportation on our own or does MS help with that? Also, can we get their dining plan?

We are thinking about doing DL, but have never been there before and are fairly new to DVC :wizard:

My understanding of using MS to book transportation is that they can, but just as with flying into Orlando, all it is is somebody on a standard travel website doing the booking. As there's no discount, I usually would rather just book the flight and ground stuff myself.

Ground, are you looking for a rental car or just transfers? DL doesn't have Magical Express, but they do have a bus to/from both LAX and Santa Ana/Orange County/John Wayne airport. Super Shuttle is available from each too, and if you do your own online booking, the travel sites usually give you the option as you check out. As I sometimes drive instead of fly and will often try to stay only on property (maybe go to the places on Harbor or within walking distance), I haven't used MS for rentals.

Likewise I don't know about dining plans. I never feel they are worth my time (or money) to begin with. Besides, DVC members get a number of eating discounts in the parks and in DTD.

Used points a few years back at the Grand Californian. Very well worth it!

I feel so cluless about DL! It is a whole other World to explore!(or should I say a whole other "Land" to explore::laughing:

We used points to stay at the GCH in May 07. It was great and I thought well worth the points we used. We had a standard view on the 2nd floor facing the front of the hotel. The monorail was right outside the window! It wasn't loud and we didn't even hear it going by unless the balcony door was open.
100_1502.jpg

100_1504.jpg

With the trees right in front of the window, it couldn't see the road in front of the hotel. It was great and I would stay here again in a minute!

We stayed at GCH and loved every minute of it. We went "home" to celebrate the 50th. anniversary at Disney Land. We loved the freedom of walking everywhere. We stayed 5 nights and also visited Knotts Berry Farm and Universal. We then drove to San Diego and stayed at the beautiful Del Coronado, also on points. We went to the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. We bought a package to several parks that saved us some money. We plan on doing it again some day. Have FUN!!!

We stayed at the GC back in 2004 and although it was a lot of points per night for the CA view room, we loved it!! I think the points are a little less now. The convenience of the hotel with entrance to DTD and close to CA and DL was great. I do not know if we could ever "afford" to go there again and stay in a park view room, but I am so glad we did it that once. It was great.

Be prepared that DL is, as I am sure you know, smaller than WDW which means you really can experience it all, I think, in 2-3 days and still have time to enjoy the pool at the hotel.

OP, we also visited friends (in Los Angeles) for a few nights and then drove to DL. We stayed for 4 nights just because I love Disney. DH felt we could have stayed an extra night in Los Angeles and only stayed 3 in DL. I guess he was right, but as I said the GC was beautiful and I loved our stay.

Good Luck with your plans!

We stayed at GCH and loved every minute of it. We went "home" to celebrate the 50th. anniversity at Disney Land. We loved the freedom of walking everywhere. We stayed 5 nights and also visited Knotts Berry Farm and Universal. We then drove to San Diego and stayed at the beautiful Del Coronado, also on points. We went to the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. We bought a package to several parks that saved us some money. We plan on doing it again some day. Have FUN!!!

Can you elaborate on what packages you did? I have a brother in CA and would like to cook up a trip exactly how you did. It sounds great!
Thanks
Chris

I would reccomend the Grand Californian Hotel to anyone who has stayed at WDW. It just feels more like WDW than the others. The rooms are identical in size and layout to both the Wilderness lodge and AKL (Same designer built all 3 hotes) Just go for a standard room, they may upgrade you. If not ask for a standard view room in the Brisas courtyard. It is a great hotel, you cannot go wrong.

I bought my share of DVC with the idea I'd be using the points a lot for DL. I have used them once so far and will be using them for another trip in November. Both points trips will be at the DLH, and in between I got a pretty good package deal to stay at PPH.

DLH is the cheapest for some reason with points even though with cash PPH is cheapest. Sounds like for some reason DVC demand is higher at PPH, but I'm not sure why... I loved all the Beach Boys music, but overall, loved DLH much better. It is closer to DTD and is steps away from the monorail station which will take you to Tomorrowland. The monorail will at times be only for hotel guests and runs during EE too... And the TL stop is right at the subs.

Points-wise, you can stay @ DLH for 19 points a weeknight during value season. Peak season the same room goes for 26 points. They are good about upgrading DVC members from standard to premium view if there are rooms available. That happened on my first trip, although for my upcoming trip they didn't have standard available within the DVC allotment (maybe they'll upgrade us to concierge? ;)). PPH goes from 20 to 31 for standard from value to peak, GCH 24-33 standard room. Incidentally, the GC entrance to DCA is good for all people staying on property, but obviously works best for those staying at GCH. It also has an entrance right into about the middle of DTD.

Point requirements for the DLR hotels mirrored cash pricing, i.e., GCH was highest, DLH was next, and PP had the lowest point price. Point requirements were lowered at DLH for DL's 50th. This was also about time that DVC established a physical presence at DLR.

I just booked GC on points. I wanted a DTD view room, but it wasn't available. So I splurged and booked the DCA view. I cannot wait! Point wise I am paying for one saturday night (which hurts, but oh well) the next 4 nights are value season and seem like a real deal. I am so excited!! I love reading all the positive reviews of GC.

One thing that kind of disturbed me, I just got my confirmation in the mail yesterday and it said "room locations and views not guaranteed". Isn't that what I paid the extra points for??? I understand the location part (i.e., a certain floor) but view?? I should get a DCA view, right?

Can you elaborate on what packages you did? I have a brother in CA and would like to cook up a trip exactly how you did. It sounds great!
Thanks
Chris
I think the package he's talking about is CityPass - 3 days at DL, plus Universal, SeaWorld, and the zoo. I think it used to include Knott's Berry instead of one of the others, SeaWorld I think.

On topic, we're staying at DL Hotel on points, I would probably never actually pay out of pocket for it, but it's easier to justify when it's points. Plus, it was cheaper... two nights cost 38 points, so if I compare that to what I could sell the points for, that's be $380-418. If I paid cash for those nights, it'd be $563.50! It's even better if you compare what I feel that the points cost me, rather than what I could get for selling them.

I'm hoping that I can get a room with a view of Disneyland... we'll see.

I think the package he's talking about is CityPass - 3 days at DL, plus Universal, SeaWorld, and the zoo. I think it used to include Knott's Berry instead of one of the others, SeaWorld I think.

On topic, we're staying at DL Hotel on points, I would probably never actually pay out of pocket for it, but it's easier to justify when it's points. Plus, it was cheaper... two nights cost 38 points, so if I compare that to what I could sell the points for, that's be $380-418. If I paid cash for those nights, it'd be $563.50! It's even better if you compare what I feel that the points cost me, rather than what I could get for selling them.

I'm hoping that I can get a room with a view of Disneyland... we'll see.

If you booked standard view, ask for a room in the Marina tower (higher is better but to each their own) & you'll be able to see 2 of the 3 Mountains, as well as some of the DL fireworks show.

We bought DVC becuase I was tired of waiting for Codes to book WDW rooms. That said, we still find pretty good deals from time to time at the DL hotels. With an AP rate we have booked 3 nights at the PP for $160/night in Dec, including taxes and fees. The same stay would cost us 86 points.

If you are a concierge fan, the current deal is also pretty sweet, with a 3 night stay at PP costing $205 per night. The same stay would cost 134 points.

-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter