Disneyland Paris with a toddler - while pregnant!!

boudreau.christine

Earning My Ears
Disneyland Paris is divided into two parks, Disneyland Parks - which is essentially the Magic Kingdom - and Walt Disney Studios - same as Hollywood studios (or MGM studios, depended on when you last visited Disney World). When we arrived to the hotel, it was fairly late and we hadn't eaten dinner yet so we took the evening to explore the Disney Village - downtown Disney. The Rainforest cafe was fairly empty and munchkin enjoys rainforest animals. The food was great and the service was amazing. They served munchkin his burger and fries right away, not making him wait until my steak was ready. After dinner, we looked at a few of the shops. Munchkin wanted everything and nothing at the same time, so we didn't stay long. We figured it would be easier to buy him something when he wasn't so sleepy and could actually make up his mind.

The fastpass system is very different than Disneyworld as well. We received 8 vouchers upon check-in; on voucher per adult, per day, for a fastpass of my choice. This means I can only use one fastpass per day and if I don't use it, I lose it. Since we arrived late on Friday and didn't have time to go to the park before it closed, we lost our fastpass for friday. We also can not redeem our tickets between 1-4pm, so you better decide before 1pm which attraction you want to use it on and get it before then. This has no bearings on your return time though.

DisneyPark had early magic hours (EMH) from 8-10 am and it included the majority of Fantasyland and Discoveryland. EMH means only hotel guests have access to the parks at these times, and those from Paris or other hotels needed to wait until 10am to gain entrance. We went to Fantasyland Saturday morning, there was more for him to do there anyways. As we walked into the park, we noticed that there were very few people around. It wa shortly after 8am and we had already eaten, so we quickly but gently made our way to the back of the park. We decided that munchkin could be trusted to walk without holding our hand as long as he stayed close and didn't run off. Having the park to yourself made it easy to "train" him into staying near us without worrying about getting lost in the crowd. He made it all the way to Fantasyland by himself. We found the sword in the stone first. He saw another boy trying to pull it so he jumped onto the rock and tried it himself. We are still trying to teach him to wait his turn but the other kid looked like he was done anyways so we didn't bother this time. Munchkin found Lancelot's carousel next and dragged us to the entrance, he learned quickly that he couldn't run to the ride without us. When we first were allowed onto the ride, he wanted to sit in a carriage but a family with an infant got their first and I didn't want to run around it looking for another; we placed him on a small horse. He didn't like it at first but once the ride started he was fine. He saw Dumbo from the horse ride and wanted to do that next.
Dumbo is only a two seater so we did the baby swap. I went with him, then passed him off to the hubby and hubby went on the ride with him. From there, we went to Alice's Labyrinth; a large maze in the theme of Alice in Wonderland. There was a centre area with dancing water and he tried to catch it. After a while, the maze was becoming annoying and we followed another family out of the maze. From there, we did Peter Pan's flight, it's a small world, Mad Hatter's tea cups and Snow White before 11am. Peter Pan wa a tight squeeze, the attendant should have told us that two adults and a toddler don't fit into one seat. The ride was dark and a little fast for the munchkin, near the end he asked to get out; this was especially odd since Peter Pan is is favorite movie. Small world was empty was so got on right away, I think he enjoyed being on a boat more than anything. Tea Cups was fun, he tried to help the hubby spin the cup. Snow White was the same as Peter Pan, but the seats were larger. It was dark and fast but he was ok with it because he had just experienced one not 30 minutes before. Because the park had just opened to the public, we had to wait 15 minutes, but the line is so long and loads so quickly that we didn't stand still very long. By the end of fantasyland, I was pretty tired.

Not all of the quick service eateries were open by then. Most opened at noon so we walked around Main Street, going in and out of shops until one finally opened.

Discoveryland was our next stop. We tried to go to Star Tours but munchkin was a little too short to go on so hubby went by himself. Hubby used his fastpass to get into the ride and we left to go for a walk. There was a problem with the machine and it automatically spit out a ticket that said he already had a fastpass for this ride in 2 hours. He went to the gentleman in charge of the fastpass line, explained what happened, and the guy just let the hubby in. I wanted to go on Buzz lightyear but the line was 30 minutes long and fastpass wasn't until 3pm. The next option was trying to get him to nap. We ran into Pluto while walking so we stood in the two minute line and tried it out. He was not scared, but extremely not interested in the character. We got an icecream and joined the hubby. He went on Space Mountain, in the single riders line, so he was in and out fairly quickly as well. After this, I wanted to do something too so we went to Captain Nemo's submarine. Munchkin had a great time, he called it a tunnel and walked right into it. The portholes were underwater and he enjoyed looking at the fish and bubbles. The girl behind us was hysterical, she wanted to leave shortly after she got in and her dad was holding her infant brother so he couldn't pick her up to console her. They walked slowly so we were able to get away from her before her crying got our little guy upset. So, over all, this attraction is not for everyone apparently.

Munchkin passed out seconds after we placed him in his stroller after Captain Nemo's. This would have been around 2pm. There isn't much one can do with a sleeping baby in the park so we went for a walk in the Village. Because the parks were open, the village was fairly quiet so we were able to take our time walking around the shops.

We went back into the Park to wander and eventually to watch the 530pm parade. We walked through Frontierland and Adventureland but there wasn't much he was allowed on. Pirates of the Caribbean was closed and so was the river boat. We found the Pocahontas playground and spend a good chunk of time playing there. We went to the Aladdin building, where they made miniature scenes in a somewhat dark building. He wasn't too impressed with this attraction. I wasn't overly fond of it either, actually. Finally, we found Pirates beach where we could walk into Skull Rock and into a pirate ship. For some reason, when we go to the top of skull rock, he lifted his shirt and flashed everyone. He thought it was hilarious.
Our seats for the parade weren't amazing but they were near the entrance so we could escape the madness quickly. Munchkin didn't like the wait and he didn't have anything for him to do for the 30 minutes we waited so we took turns taking him for a walk before the parade. He sat on hubby's shoulders during the parade and he had a great time. He was able to name most of the floats since he has watched most of the movies at least once - not in their entirety but enough to recognize. We were standing behind a couple with an infant so the characters stopped to see the baby but didn't notice munchkin one row behind; next time.

We had reservations at Buffalo Bill's Wild West show at 630pm so we ran back to the village and checked in. We were seated immediately and each given a cowboy hat. We paid extra to get category 1 seats, which means front row. Because munchkin is under 3, he doesn't pay for entrance or food, but this show decided that meant he didn't get a seat either. He was forced to sit on my lap for the whole show. If you have a toddler, you know that this only lasts for so long. The poor woman that was sitting beside me was not impressed with the situation either, he accidently kicked her everytime he moved his legs. They offered nacho chips at the table and he basically ate that all night. The show was just shy of 90 minutes. There was plenty for him to see and keep him entertained at the beginning but the rodeo games was getting too long and we lost his attention pretty quickly after that. It was near the end so we were thankful for that, at least. It reminded me a lot of Medieval Times in Toronto.

Right after dinner, we went back to the Park and found seats for the Disney dreams fireworks show. We had 1 hour to waste so we slipped into our hotel (the Disney hotel is literally at the corner of all three parks) and grabbed the ipad. He watched Nemo for a while then wanted to go for a walk. He had been asked for the giant lollipop for a while and before dinner he found a pack of 5 suckers that he wanted. I told him he could have it after dinner; well, he remembered. When he saw the again, he said "suckers, after dinner. mommy, suckers. now". It was so cute that I had to. He placed the suckers on the counter so I could pay. The cashier put them in a bag and he wanted to hold the bag. I made him wait to show daddy what he bought. He came flying out of the shop shouting "DAD!" He ran to the hubby and ripped open the back to show him his new treats. He finished the sucker just before the fireworks started so hubby was able to put him on his shoulders again. He was able to recognize most of the movies that they displayed on the castle and shouted each time Peter Pan's shadow made an appearance. When it was over, he asked for more PeterPan. That's when we decided that we would do it again Sunday night. It was very much passed all of our bedtimes but Disney doesn't happen often so we let it go.

http://outcangermany.weebly.com/travels-in-europe/disneyland-parks-with-a-toddler

follow my blog for other trips and photos of this one, until Disboard allow

We didn't have plans for the morning and the park didn't open until 10am so we slept in until 8am and took our time making our way to the park. We waltz in at 10:10am and found that the children's area was busy as sin. There was a giant line for Crush's Coaster - I didn't care since munchkin was too short but this was a sign of things to come, I just didn't know it yet. We went to Cars rally first; expectant mom's not allowed for hubby went alone. The wait wasn't long and they had a great time in the cars, spinning around. He wanted to do it again, until we mentioned Aladdin's flying carpet. We had yet to experience the angry toddler that doesn't want to leave the ride and I didn't want to. Aladdin's wait wasn't bad either, a little longer than Cars. Again, expectant mom's not allowed so I waited with the stroller. While I waited, I saw a family go into one of the carpets and they asked to leave. They were a couple with their infant child and I guess the child didn't fit into the ride safely and therefore not allowed to ride. I don't understand how they were allowed to get so far into the ride that they were buckled in and waiting for lift off before being caught. The poor child was angry; he screamed and swung his arms and really wanted to get onto the carpet ride. There should be someone at the front entrance of each ride taking care of this, the parents had no way of knowing that it was not suitable for their little one; the pamphlet says it is for all families members and there are no height restrictions. Munchkin and hubby looked like they were having fun and he didn't get too upset when it was over. By now it was around 11am so he was getting hungry and/or tired. He was getting frustrated with the stroller but the park was a lot busier than yesterday so he was not allowed to walk.

We walked around trying to find another attraction that he would like and was able to go on. We eventually found Slinky Dog spin. Preggo's not welcome; I was feeling the love that day. The line was 30 minutes long and hubby took the munchkin in. After 10 minutes, they walked out the way they went in. Munchkin was getting annoyed with standing around and not moving forward, at all, that he was jumping around and playing silly. Apparently he hit his head three times before hubby called it quits. Munchkin wanted to go on the ride, he was jumping at the gates of the ride but refused to get in line again. Another sign. Both Hubby and munchkin were tired from last night and getting angry at each other. We needed something that they could take a break.

Animagique was a lot of fun. Munchkin didn't want to sit still for the show to start so I gave him one of the suckers from last night. He ate it quietly while we waited all of 5 minutes. When the show started, he jumped up onto my lap and they had his full attention. The show was Donald and Mickey working on designs, and Donald opening a forbidden door where he danced with various characters from Disney movies. Munchkin knew all of the movies and clapped along with them. We were all a little calmer now but still irritable so we decided on a change of pace; LUNCH!

Because it wasn't quite noon, we found a nice place, cafe des cascadeurs, near the backlot. I was hoping to see Stunt show before lunch but it started 15 minutes before we arrived. The Cafe didn't open until 1230 but we all thought it was supposed to open at noon so I was getting really upset that they were so late. By the time we went in, munchkin was a mess, I was hungry and hubby was just frustrated at the world. We needed a second wind desperately. Lunch was good, munchkin ate the croutons from my salad, that was it. We ordered cheesecake, of course he wanted to try that. But, he got the glass of apple juice he had been asking for. For some reason, the parks offer water, pop and orange juice but no apple juice.

The backlot tour was fun, we got to ride a train and see some special effects lots. The Stunt show was a joke. The pamphlet says it is with Lightening McQueen; he appeared in a video clip near the beginning. It was 45 minutes of fighting with a toddler that wanted to go run around. Because of where the stunts were taking place, we couldn't leave without stopping the show. Now sure how we managed, but he came out of that show alive and with all of his limbs.

We thought Cinimagique would be a nice place to calm down after the horrors of stunt show. It was a cute little film with clips of Disney movies, organized into themes. Then in the next room it was a chat with Muchu, the dragon from mulan. He didn't want to sit still or be quiet so I let him play with my cell phone. He threw him into the stroller right away, he downed half a bottle of water and passed out within minutes. This was at 4pm. We were just about ready to leave the Studio and go to the hotel when we noticed he was asleep so we decided walked around shops and gather our thoughts before leaving. I shouldn't say I'm surprised that we didn't have a good time; Hollywood studios in Florida had a nasty habit of pissing me off whenever we went to DisneyWorld. The lines are always too full; Ratatouille was 2 hour wait and the fastpasses were sold out before 11am. We found a Peter Pan costume that wasn't 50euro. We also found a set of Jake and the Neverland pirates toys that can't be swallowed. We eventually went back to the hotel to relax and drop of our shopping bags. It was 530pm when we decided we needed plans for dinner. The Parks offer quick service, for the most part, which consist of burgers, nuggets or hot dogs and the Village has expensive dinners that take a while to be served. The hotel offers a character dinner so we went to check it out. It costs 55euro per adult and it is a buffet. We paid 80euro for the three of us at the Rainforest cafe so 110 euro for a character dinner seemed within the Disney reality so we said yes. DON'T DO IT.

The food was not amazing, the dining hall was almost empty and the waiters were kinda rude. There were 6 characters, but he wasn't interested in any of them. We did manage to get him to eat something; chicken nuggets and raspberry tarts, of course. With that failure under our belts, we went for a relaxing train ride on the Disney Express.

It took us 30 minutes to wait for the next train, but the wait was rather pleasant. Munchkin took three of his new figures and even shared with a little boy that wanted to play too. We didn't think he would share, pleasant surprise; I guess the nap did him some good. The train ride was amazing. 30 minutes around the park, he looked at everything and choo-chooed along with the train when we left each station. We actually found a ride in fantasyland that we didn't do the morning before so that was on the list of things to do Monday morning. Since the fireworks were at 10pm on saturday night and the pamphlet says it is at closing, and weekends close at 10pm, we logically assumed fireworks were at 10pm sunday night as well. We got off the train, thinking we had 90 minutes to wait, we came prepared with Nemo and his toys, hubby was going to buy a bag of popcorn and we went to find seats in front of the castle. When we got there and settled in, the announcement said it would start in 15 minutes. Hubby rushed over and we waited 15 minutes for the show. Munchkin liked it much better this time around; he knew what to expect and we were much closer to the castle this time so he could see the projections closer to the base of the castle.

We thought we would take a walk through the Village and find something to snack on but they only had sit down restaurants, candy in the shops and a Starbucks. We went to the Lego store so hubby could buy his X-Wing. Munchkin, in all of his cuteness, managed to get me to buy him a train set with numbers on it. He grabbed it from me when I said yes and ran around looking for the hubby to show him what i had agreed to. Again, he held it tight until we got to the cashier and gladly gave it up when I said it was time to pay. Quick learner; we don't give it up, we don't bring it home, I will not get another one from the shelf to scan. The only x-wing at the lego store was 250euro so we left without it. The store next door had the smaller version, 90 euro. Pretty sad that we had to find a lego set in a store, next to the lego store. Either way, munchkin wanted to play with his lego, and I said he can only open it once we get back to the hotel, so he jumped in the stroller and asked to go to the hotel.

Our day was finally over and we eventually jumped into bed. I let munchkin play with his toys while hubby and I packed our suitcases. Hubby brought most to the car Sunday night so we could do less Monday morning for check-out. Still didn't manage to get to bed until 1130 but it was worth it.

Our final day for Disneyland was finally here. We had reservations for Cafe Mickey at 8am for breakfast, which means munchkin was sound asleep at 730am. We woke him up, poor dude, and placed him in his stroller. He chilled with his blanket for the walk to the restaurant. It was another buffet style breakfast but they had real bacon so I didn't mind. It also only cost 32 euro for two adults and the toddler was free. There were 6 characters in all; Pluto, Chip, Dale, Eeyore, Mickey and Tigger. We were allowed one hour but left before then. Munchkin was not interested in the characters and he was done eating. EMH had already started in the Disney Park so we did that instead of hanging around the Village.

We went to the Buzzlightyear ranger spin and didn't wait at all, which was nice. Munchkin and I shared a blaster and daddy (ex-infantry and all) had his own blaster. We did fairly well, got more points than him, but the lady in front of us killed it. She had thousands of points; I guess we were having too much fun spinning our seat around and watching munchkin try to use the blaster.

At the far back of Fantasyland there was a flume ride that we missed Saturday and noticed sunday night on our train ride. We went right for that. It was a quiet ride that went through the mini-scenes of disney princess villages. During the ride, we saw a train roller-coaster fly by us and he wanted to go on it. We checked the map and it was called Casey Jr, the train from Dumbo. It was the only roller-coaster for toddlers and we ran for it. There was also no way but the hike up to the ride was exercise enough. He had so much fun that he wanted to do it again. There wasn't anyone around so we went out and went right back in. After the second time, he got the idea and wanted a third ride but the line was starting to get bigger so we distracted him with promises of Dumbo. He fell for it; we went straight for Dumbo. The line was about 25 minutes but he didn't mind, he watched the kids ride dumbo and chatted about something dumbo related; he was speaking too fast, I didn't catch any of it.

After Dumbo, we went for a snack. We found a stand that had chips instead of candy. It was almost 11am and time to checkout so we went back to the hotel. We cleared the room, put everything in the car and checkout. The tickets were still valid for the rest of the day, so while we thought about what to do next; leave or stay a little longer, munchkin fell asleep. We really wanted to wait until he was in the car before sleeping but it was too quiet in the hotel lobby, he couldn't help it. We had a bit to eat and left. The transfer didn't go so well. He slept for 90 minutes in the stroller,then relaxed for 30 minutes in the car before demanding to be entertained.

He fell asleep at 6pm in the car, just one hour before we got home. We were looking for a rest stop to stretch our legs, give him food and burn energy but the only one we found on the GPS was 20 minutes from the house. A screaming kid does wonders for your motivation though; stay focused on the road and drive fast on the autobahn. The key is to keep him quiet enough to focus on the road just angry enough to keep you motivated. By this point, Nemo, Jake and the Lion King weren't enough for him; he wanted Peter Pan and Wendy, and Diego, both of which are not on our tablets. Usually this kept him focused on the task; if I am good, I get PeterPan or Diego at home. Today, it was more like, why in the hell didn't you think of this before you shoved me in a car for 6 hours.

One thing that we learn was to schedule our vacations a little better. We were having a hard time finding flights or trains to get to Paris, and the only hotel available was the posche DisneyHotel. When we checked in, they told us that it was one of their busiest weekends before school was starting on Monday for three different countries in Europe. This explains why I paid so much for the tickets, why everything was booked and flights/trains were unreasonably priced. IE They wanted 1200euro for a flight or 900euro for a train to Paris, yet on most days a flight to London would only cost 150euro.

It sounds like you had a good trip overall :thumbsup2 The DLH is lovely and so handy to nip back to the hotel if you need a rest from the parks.

Well done navigating the parks with a toddler and being pg too! I forget how hard it can be trying to entertain a little one whilst waiting around for things to start/open. I think sometimes they just get overwhelmed with so much excitement going on around them.

Your photos look lovely. Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

thanks for posting your trip report :) - what dates did you visit Disneyland Paris?

Thanks for your trip report - out of interest, how far along were you during your trip? Did you have any problems being allowed on many of the Disneyland park rides?

C x

Thanks for sharing your trip report.

We thought Cinimagique would be a nice place to calm down after the horrors of stunt show. It was a cute little film with clips of Disney movies, organized into themes. Then in the next room it was a chat with Muchu, the dragon from mulan.

The Parks offer quick service, for the most part, which consist of burgers, nuggets or hot dogs and the Village has expensive dinners that take a while to be served.

I think that it was actually Art of Animation you were in rather than Cinemagique.

Also, for others reading this I think it's worth pointing out that your comment re food options in the parks is a little misleading. The Disneyland Park has two table service restaurants and two buffet restaurants in addition to the counter service places so there are other options out there. Advance reservations are often needed though.

I couldn't find any sit down restaurants in the parks, but thank you for letting me know. I'll look a little harder next time. It was weird though, even once they started to open, the quick service places all looked closed.

I went just last weekend, so sept 5-8/2014. Not as busy as July at disney world but enough to make a toddler annoyed at the lines by mid afternoon.

I was 8 weeks during the trip. Since I was small enough, bump wise, I judged the rides safety for myself. Peter Pan and Snow White were fine, but any bigger and the bar would put pressure in my belly. Cars, Aladdin and slinky didn't look like a good idea for me, so I just watched.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter