• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

disneyland park vs adventure park

mustangla

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are going to take my 5 and 2 year to disneyland for the day. We are visiting san diego. I am deciding what to do my plan was just to do one park. Which one would you choose? for our age range. Seeing the park hopper for one day for 3 tickets is $ 484.00 vs. $324.00 just for one park. I like rides in both parks I am torn or just splurge and do both. ( we are from Pa not sure when we will get back out that way again)

I agree about choosing DL, unless your kids are big Cars fans. Then your choice would have to be DCA, since Cars Land is there. Are your kids big Frozen fans? The Anna & Elsa M&G and the Frozen musical are in DCA. And if they are big Pixar fans in general, the Pixar Play Parade and the Monsters, Inc. ride are in DCA. But, if none of those things really matter to your little ones, then DL wins hands down for a one day visit.

Last edited:
You can start with one park tickets and add the hopper option if you decide you have time and want to hop.

For one day though it's really hard to do it all. I'd rather take my time and just do DL right. That said, as luckyrabbit mentioned, if they are big Cars fans, spring for the hoppers up front and visit Carsland.

I would also go with Disneyland if you only have one day, mostly because I feel there is more that you can do as a family in the park. However, as others have said, if your kids really love Cars and Pixar (especially Bug's Life), then DCA might be a good fit. (Note that some attractions do have height requirements, including both RSR and Mater's in Carsland and the Bumper Cars in a bug's land, which might impact what you can or cannot ride.)

I think California Adventure is actually more toddler friendly overall. Carsland, Bugs Land, Little Mermaid ride, Monster's Inc ride, Frozen stage show, new Disney Junior Dance Party, Pixar Play Parade, Redwood Creek playground, Toy Story Mania, Carousel, Silly Swings, Jumpin Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, Mickey's Fun Wheel...all rides for the whole family with almost no darkness or scare factor (unlike many rides at Disneyland park).

Plus, the food options are better at DCA AND there is beer, wine, and cocktails for mom and dad. ;)

I would choose DCA. We always spend more time there as a family. It's so much more enjoyable on crowded days too...much easier to navigate.

Your original post didn't state whether you'd been to the parks before, so I'm going to assume this isn't the family's first trip to the parks. DCA has A LOT of family options as the person that posted before me stated. But, after adding them up Disneyland still has more I think, here's a list since I'm bored at work, I may have missed some, this is off the top of my head!

Peter Pan, Nemo Subs, Astro Orbitor, Astro Blasters, Snow White's, Pinnochio's, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Carousel, Casey Jr, Storybook Canal Boats, Alice in Wonderland, Tea Cups, Gadget's Go Coaster, Roger Rabbit's, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pooh's, did I miss any kid friendly rides?

The shows in Disneyland would be: Royale Theater, Magical Map, Soundsational Parade, Fireworks, Jedi training Academy, Electrical Parade, Dapper Dans, and all the character meet and greets like Tink, Princess Fantasy Faire and the Toon Town houses.

My kids (5 and 3) prefer California Adventure due to Cars Land and Bugs land, but I think if this is the first visit its hard for me to recommend going there instead of Disneyland.

That's a tough call. If you split the parks there's so much you won't see and do in both, but at at the same time it's nice to be able to hop to another park if one is getting really crowded.

Are you driving to and from San Diego on the same day as well? That would impact my recommendation. That is a very long drive, especially in traffic.

I have an annual pass. To give you an example of what you can accomplish Yesterday my 2-year-old and I went with a friend and her 3-year-old daughter. We started at 9:00 in Disneyland and did Fantatsyland (Dumbo, Storybook Canal Boats, carousel and Small World) and Adventureland (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Splash and Winnie the Pooh). Had lunch in New Orleans, fast pass for Buzz Light Year, my friend's daughter fell asleep for a bit, then we watched Mickey's Soundsational Parade. When that was over around 5:00 pm we hopped to California Adventure because DL was getting crowded. Rode Little Mermaid, had dinner at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta where we did double duty and watched the Pixar Parade (it starts right in front of the restaurant), then we rode Mickey's Fun Wheel. Last, we took turns taking the kids on the carousel while we each rode California Screamin with a fast pass/rider switch pass. That was all we had time for, the kids were tired so we left the park around 8 pm.

All in all we really had a fantastic day, it wasn't very crowded so we were able to do a lot but there is still so much we didn't see or do in both parks. In DL, we didn't even see Toontown or Frontierland or must of Tomorrowland. In DCA we were only in Paradise Pier. We never went to Cars Land, Bugs Land, Hollywood Land, Grizzly Peak or the Pacific Wharf.

Having the flexibility to park hop is best when it's crowded. That way if one park is getting too congested you can simply hop to the other. But it's hard to say if you will need that option until the day.

One thing to note is that your 2-year-old will be able to go on many more rides in DL versus DCA. That is the nice thing about DL. But DCA has Cars Land, which is amazing. I love DCA but DL is my favorite hands down. If I had to choose one it would be DL. But if you could swing it and maybe spend a night or two in Anaheim and go to both parks on two days I think it would be well worth it!

For a first visit with small children I would definitely do Disneyland, starting at park opening in Fantasyland. I agree it will make a big difference if you are driving up/back from San Diego the same day, especially a weekday. If so you will either need to leave super early (like before 6:00 a.m.) or later in the morning or you'll spend way too much time in traffic.

For another hundred bucks you could do 2 day one park tickets ;) THat would solve all your problems. Just saying. You could even make that decision halfway through your first day. But since you can always add the park hopper option once you are halfway through your day, I would start at which ever one appeals to your group more. Like everyone said, if your 5 year old is a Cars fan and tall enough for RSR, I think DCA is your best bet. Otherwise, you probably want to go with DL.

I think it's hard to justify a one day park hopper especially with 2 little ones. I would go to Disneyland if it's your first visit. While my family actually prefers DCA it's just because we go all the time since we live in San Diego. Plus there are actually more height requirements at DCA then at Disneyland. The swings and jumping jellyfish although seem like kids rides have height requirements that your 2 year old probably is too short for. Also, I think the closed Disney Junior recently. Not sure though.
Have a fun trip though!!

If this is a first trip and with no idea when you will return....Disneyland! It's the original and it really is packed with lots of fun and magic for the whole family

DCA all the way.

Our first two trips (as adults) were one day visits during longer trips to San Diego. We hit DL only. The third year we did a proper trip and regretted those DL park trips once we found DCA.

If you go to dca (because I can't remember any possibilities like it in DL)....

DH just told me to tell you this because he thought I was brilliant when I did this. Bring extra clothes for the kids, maybe like swimsuits and dashboards, or if just normal clothes then a full change down to underwear, socks, and shoes, and *let them play in the water features*. Unprepared parents will despise you, but your kids will think you're the best ever.

I think California Adventure is actually more toddler friendly overall. Carsland, Bugs Land, Little Mermaid ride, Monster's Inc ride, Frozen stage show, new Disney Junior Dance Party, Pixar Play Parade, Redwood Creek playground, Toy Story Mania, Carousel, Silly Swings, Jumpin Jellyfish, Golden Zephyr, Mickey's Fun Wheel...all rides for the whole family with almost no darkness or scare factor (unlike many rides at Disneyland park).

Plus, the food options are better at DCA AND there is beer, wine, and cocktails for mom and dad. ;)

I would choose DCA. We always spend more time there as a family. It's so much more enjoyable on crowded days too...much easier to navigate.

Yep!!!

Though midway mania has the same help-with-shooting issue as Buzz that I mention below. But imo it's more fun because no one has to control how the vehicle moves along with shooting.

Peter Pan,

Nemo Subs,

Astro Orbitor,

Astro Blasters,

Snow White's,

Pinnochio's

Mr. Toad,

Dumbo,

Carousel,

Casey Jr,

Storybook Canal Boats,

Alice in Wonderland,

Tea Cups,

Gadget's Go Coaster,

Roger Rabbit's,

Small World,

Jungle Cruise,

Haunted Mansion,

Pooh's,

Terrifying dark ride to some children,

LONG ride in an enclosed space and it's loud,

Terrifying to many adults. :),

Rough with those ages because the 2 year old will need help and maybe the 5 year old, too,

Terrifying dark ride,

Terrifying dark ride,

Scary weird loud dark ride,

OK,

OK,

OK,

OK but you go through a toothy whale's mouth and it's LONG and could be boring to small kids,

Scary dark ride,

OK but I personally don't take toddlers on that ride as a retired chiropractor,

Long line for very short ride,

Scary loud dark weird ride with flashes and blaring noises and it's the second ride my kid freaked out about while in line,

OK but long and you're setting the kids up to have it be their favorite ride ever (like me) and they'll sing the song over and over,

Long ride and some kids believe in it too much and get scared,

Scary ride that some kids like and others don't. First ride my kid freaked out about while in line,

Ride Pooh over and over and over. ...wonderful ride and there's nothing wrong with it. :) I want to go in it now. Happy happy ride. Sigh. Especially excellent if you get to ride it on your birthday!

DCA all the way.

Our first two trips (as adults) were one day visits during longer trips to San Diego. We hit DL only. The third year we did a proper trip and regretted those DL park trips once we found DCA.

DH just told me to tell you this because he thought I was brilliant when I did this. Bring extra clothes for the kids, maybe like swimsuits and dashboards, or if just normal clothes then a full change down to underwear, socks, and shoes, and *let them play in the water features*. Unprepared parents will despise you, but your kids will think you're the best ever.

Yep!!!

Though midway mania has the same help-with-shooting issue as Buzz that I mention below. But imo it's more fun because no one has to control how the vehicle moves along with shooting.

Rough with those ages because the 2 year old will need help and maybe the 5 year old, too,

Terrifying dark ride,

Terrifying dark ride,

OK,

OK,

OK,

OK but you go through a toothy whale's mouth and it's LONG and could be boring to small kids,

Scary dark ride,

Scary loud dark weird ride with flashes and blaring noises and it's the second ride my kid freaked out about while in line,

OK but long and you're setting the kids up to have it be their favorite ride ever (like me) and they'll sing the song over and over,

Scary ride that some kids like and others don't. First ride my kid freaked out about while in line,

Ride Pooh over and over and over. ...wonderful ride and there's nothing wrong with it. :) I want to go in it now. Happy happy ride. Sigh. Especially excellent if you get to ride it on your birthday!

Yes, my kids are pretty timid, so they don't like any of the dark rides. Only sometimes will my 3 year old daughter have the nerve to go on Small World, but she says all the other dark rides are too scary, including Peter Pan and Pooh. My son will not go on any of them. I think my kids are pretty unusual though. My friends' kids are the same age and like those rides.

For a first visit with small children I would definitely do Disneyland, starting at park opening in Fantasyland. I agree it will make a big difference if you are driving up/back from San Diego the same day, especially a weekday. If so you will either need to leave super early (like before 6:00 a.m.) or later in the morning or you'll spend way too much time in traffic.

I'd go with Disneyland if you have only one day. Especially if its a first visit.

I leave at 6AM on these days and use the HOV lanes on the freeway. On a weekday I usually hit the parking lot at 8:15 AM and can be in the park by 9 AM. We stay until the park closes. After I pound an ice-coffee and a sugary treat from park it's a brisk 90 minute drive home as there should be little to no traffic once you hit the freeway. Have fun!

DCA all the way.

Yep!!!

Terrifying dark ride,

Terrifying dark ride,

OK,

OK,

OK,

Scary dark ride,

It seems like you threw out a lot of rides because you or your children are afraid of the dark. :( OP didn't mention any phobias so I was going off which park had the most child offerings.

Yeah, my kids (boys) are 11 and almost 13 and are STILL scared of:

Pirates (the drops in the dark and fire)
Mr. Toad (the creepy imagery and loudness)
Snow White (the terrifying forest scene)
Haunted Mansion (the stretching room)
Pinocchio (the creepy imagery in the Pleasure Island scene)
Matterhorn (the Yeti)

They rode all of the above when younger and they clearly were traumatized. ;)

They won't even think about trying Indiana Jones...

I recently went with my 5 and 3 year old niece and nephew. Basically, the same rides scared them, and they are the fearless type. The day was almost ruined after Pirates...

In contrast, NOTHING at DCA scares them (and never has, and they have been going regularly to both parks since birth) They have ridden everything there (well, my oldest rode Tower of Terror at 5 and hasn't since, and the youngest never did and youngest is still afraid of Screamin because it goes upside down, but the oldest rode it twice).

Disneyland has a lot that young kids find scary.

Your original post didn't state whether you'd been to the parks before, so I'm going to assume this isn't the family's first trip to the parks. DCA has A LOT of family options as the person that posted before me stated. But, after adding them up Disneyland still has more I think, here's a list since I'm bored at work, I may have missed some, this is off the top of my head!

Peter Pan, Nemo Subs, Astro Orbitor, Astro Blasters, Snow White's, Pinnochio's, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Carousel, Casey Jr, Storybook Canal Boats, Alice in Wonderland, Tea Cups, Gadget's Go Coaster, Roger Rabbit's, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Pooh's, did I miss any kid friendly rides?

The shows in Disneyland would be: Royale Theater, Magical Map, Soundsational Parade, Fireworks, Jedi training Academy, Electrical Parade, Dapper Dans, and all the character meet and greets like Tink, Princess Fantasy Faire and the Toon Town houses.
thank you that was helpful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter