Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

We break this virus by doing it together. If we don't act together, we will continue down this path of fits of opening/closing with large scale operations like DLR being the last to open due to its sheer size --regardless of whatever policy Disney has in place.

So if we can't stifle this virus prevalence below 7% consistently here in California, we're not going get to DLR reopening. 1month out at the earliest is what I see.

Yes. America is suffering because there’s no unity... everyone is so against each other and it’s hard to believe anything or anyone. We can’t agree on the right course of action, much less implement it. Usually Americans are pretty good about pulling together in times of crisis. Unfortunately this is not one of those times.

My order from Shop Disney arrived today.... Ariel’s wedding costume for my toddler and a new Disneyland dress for my big girl. They want so badly to wear them to Disneyland.... my nine year old is starting to wonder if we’ll ever go back. She feels like this is never going to be over, and my little one told me yesterday she hates COVID. I told her those feelings were 💯 valid. When it is safe to go to Disneyland, we are staying at the GCH and having the best trip ever. $25 Main Street balloons for everyone!

my nine year old is starting to wonder if we’ll ever go back. She feels like this is never going to be over, and my little one told me yesterday she hates COVID. I told her those feelings were 💯 valid. When it is safe to go to Disneyland, we are staying at the GCH and having the best trip ever. $25 Main Street balloons for everyone!

I feel so badly for those with little ones during all this. Hoping that you & your girls have a magical trip - whenever it may be.

I miss the trips when my girls were little. As they got older (teens & 20's) they were still fun trips but they did lose some of the magic. I already told both my girls that any grandbabies (which are becoming less & less likely - but that is okay) will be going to Disneyland with Grandma for their 5th birthday.

Stepping in with a reminder for everyone participating in this thread: Please keep your posts on topic, i.e. related in some way to DLR's reopening (whenever that may be...). This is not the thread for discussing or arguing about politics, masks, people who do/don't wear masks, the virus as it doesn't relate to DLR, opinions about the virus which don't relate to DLR, preaching about the virus/politicians/masks/unions/etc., ranting, etc. If your post is off topic (i.e. it doesn't relate to DLR in some way or is outside the guidelines), it will be deleted.
For those who are keeping this thread rolling while staying on topic, gold stars to all! Bonus points for good humor.
Now, let's get back to screaming inside our hearts (on topic!) -- because it sure beats the screaming inside our heads, right? Scream on, DISers!

Before the pandemic hit, my wife & I were planning to take our first trip to Disneyland with our two kids (ages 8 & 4) in February 2021. We live in Michigan, so right now the thought of flying and surrounding ourselves with thousands of people in Southern Cal doesn't seem too sensible. On the other hand, February is 7 months from now.. so maybe I should still hold on to some hope. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future, but tell me what you think Disneyland Feb 2021 will look like? Any helpful thoughts / recommendations / expectations are appreciated!

I feel so badly for those with little ones during all this. Hoping that you & your girls have a magical trip - whenever it may be.

I miss the trips when my girls were little. As they got older (teens & 20's) they were still fun trips but they did lose some of the magic. I already told both my girls that any grandbabies (which are becoming less & less likely - but that is okay) will be going to Disneyland with Grandma for their 5th birthday.
I really regret that we are losing this year for our Disney trip with our son. It is a major first world problem and extremely small potatoes in the scheme of things, but he is just so fun this year. Five has definitely been my favorite age so far. He's young enough that he hasn't lost his sense of magic and wonder, and he's passionate about everything and wears it all right on his sleeve. I got so bummed out last night wondering if we will even be able to go to DL next summer that I started researching some of the "second tier" theme parks outside of California and Florida. Maybe Hershey Park. I think he could get on board with a candy-themed theme park, lol. But I really wanted him to fly in the Millennium Falcon.

Before the pandemic hit, my wife & I were planning to take our first trip to Disneyland with our two kids (ages 8 & 4) in February 2021. We live in Michigan, so right now the thought of flying and surrounding ourselves with thousands of people in Southern Cal doesn't seem too sensible. On the other hand, February is 7 months from now.. so maybe I should still hold on to some hope. I wish I had a crystal ball to see into the future, but tell me what you think Disneyland Feb 2021 will look like? Any helpful thoughts / recommendations / expectations are appreciated!
How important is it to you that your first trip to Disneyland -- and your kids' first trip to Disneyland -- be/not be restricted in any way? If pandemic conditions still apply, would that matter? If you could not give your family the "real" DLR experience, would that make you regret your decision? If so, you might want to wait until you are sure that things have returned to "normal" again. Not just for the safety of your family (if one of you gets sick while you are in CA, what will you do?), but also to know that you all will be getting a full Disney experience for your money. Just something to think about.

If you are thinking of it as a once in a lifetime trip, I would wait it out. Dr. Fauci said yesterday that things should be more normal in 12-18 months from now. I wouldn't even begin planning a trip like that until we are done with this pandemic.

I think it is impossible to know today how DL will look in February. At this point, everything from "100% normal operations" to "burned to the ground" seems possible.... That said, if we are placing bets, my prediction is that it will be open but still look a lot like what we thought August was going to look like -- reservations required to enter, mandatory masks, limited indoor dining, and no parades, fireworks, meet-and-greets, or other events that draw crowds or put people up close and personal with the characters.

Last edited:

Like others have said, it's impossible to know where things will stand with COVID and the impact of that on regular Disneyland operations in February. Which is so frustrating! I have a feeling the concept of Disneyland returning to normal is tied very closely to when we get a vaccine. Personally, and I'm no medical expert, I don't see us getting things under control until that happens just based on what we've seen so far with how Americans are dealing with this. Who knows? Can you be flexible with your planning and be able to push things further out if it came down to it? Hope for the best but have the flexibility to push things out if need be? The nice thing right now is how nearly all airlines are allowing you to change flights for no fee.

But in terms of 'usual' February planning, if it's a first time trip be aware that is a common time of year to take care of refurbishments so you can expect some rides to be down for maintenance. But that also comes with a perk of lower crowd levels. Usually February has some fun Valentine's Day activities and treats- like a big heart photo op on Main Street. Depending on when in February you visit, if you're there in the first week that's when DCA is having Lunar New Year which has marketplace booths, cool Mulan character parades, etc.

ETA: One thing I keep turning around in my mind is how hospitals will struggle to contend with COVID and flu hospitalizations at the same time during flu season so I anticipate we might see stricter lockdowns/state regulations/etc. in response to that which may impact Disneyland this winter. This is why I keep going back and forth on when to reschedule our Sept. trip (if we have to...)- hard to say what February will look like after flu season and covid happening all at once. And how Disneyland and the state of CA responds.

If you are thinking of it as a once in a lifetime trip, I would wait it out. Dr. Fauci said yesterday that things should be more normal in 12-18 months from now. I wouldn't even begin planning a trip like that until we are done with this pandemic.
I think I’d want my first trip, even if not a once in a lifetime, to be as full an experience as possible.

Ugh. I know that is realistic and I’m pretty much on board that it will be at least another year before things start getting more old normal but still ugh!

How important is it to you that your first trip to Disneyland -- and your kids' first trip to Disneyland -- be/not be restricted in any way? If pandemic conditions still apply, would that matter? If you could not give your family the "real" DLR experience, would that make you regret your decision?
Agree 100% and all great questions. Thank you. We are one of those "once-a-year WDW vacation" families, so we were hoping to try and change it up and do DLR in 2021. My wife and I were asking ourselves the same questions☝ so all things considered, it's probably wise to wait and see when DLR will lift the restrictions so we can experience the real DLR. :earsboy:

We do WDW about once a year.. so I'm not sure if DLR would be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for us. I would like to think we would return again, but considering it's our first ever trip to DLR (and the state of CA).. it's probably in our best interest to postpone the trip (or at least wait it out to see what develops). One major benefit I've heard from many Disneyland-goers is that DLR requires very little planning in comparison to a WDW trip. Thanks @cruisehopeful

Can you be flexible with your planning and be able to push things further out if it came down to it? Hope for the best but have the flexibility to push things out if need be? The nice thing right now is how nearly all airlines are allowing you to change flights for no fee. But in terms of 'usual' February planning, if it's a first time trip be aware that is a common time of year to take care of refurbishments so you can expect some rides to be down for maintenance.
Yes, we can be flexible. We had February tentatively penciled in, as this is my sons "winter break" with school.. however, what school will look like in February is a whole different topic. 🤷‍♂️ I had no idea about February being a refurbishment/maintenance time of year, so thank you for the info. The low crowd levels and cheap airfare seem to be the only major positives.. but I don't think that's enough for us to risk getting sick and experience a depleted DLR (lacking fireworks/parades/characters etc.). Thanks @TikiTikiFan

I think it’s going to be a rough fall/winter. We are going to have covid, flu, colds, strep, and other viruses. Unless the testing for covid gets quicker and with more accurate results, it’s just going to be nuts once regular cold and flu season hits. I try and stay positive, but I don’t see how Disneyland is close to normal in February 2021. I think the only way it is better is if 1. There’s a viable treatment with national support and 2. The tests are better. Then you may have a shot at more normalcy at Disneyland. Right now I think the most difficult thing for us is going to be not being able to meet and hug the characters. I think that’s really important for a first trip.

I think I’d want my first trip, even if not a once in a lifetime, to be as full an experience as possible.
Ugh. I know that is realistic and I’m pretty much on board that it will be at least another year before things start getting more old normal but still ugh!
Agree. With it being our first trip to CA, I want it to be special. Not only for experiencing Disneyland, but also for some of the other attractions SoCal has to offer. One of the biggest struggles I think would be dealing with my 8 & 4 year old and their masks 😷😷 envisioning temper tantrum every 10 minutes 😬😩 Time will tell.. I'm hoping we can still make a 2021 trip work, even if it's later in the year. Thanks @disneychrista

I don’t see how Disneyland is close to normal in February 2021. I think the only way it is better is if 1. There’s a viable treatment with national support and 2. The tests are better. Then you may have a shot at more normalcy at Disneyland. Right now I think the most difficult thing for us is going to be not being able to meet and hug the characters. I think that’s really important for a first trip.
You're right. The character interaction is always a big deal to my kids. Also not being able to experience the parades and fireworks would be a big letdown. Unless things change in a big way leading up to February, I'm going to start setting my sights to later in 2021. Like many of you have mentioned, there's just too many unknowns right now.

... I had no idea about February being a refurbishment/maintenance time of year, so thank you for the info. The low crowd levels and cheap airfare seem to be the only major positives...
During normal times, February at DLR is not necessarily a low crowd time. At DLR, non-peak/low season ≠ low crowds! February = shorter hours, more refurbs, lower staffing (so longer lines for food and less entertainment), fewer ride vehicles running (so possible longer lines for rides, even with "lower" crowds), nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc. February draws in the local crowds -- Valentine's Day/Presidents Day Weekend/Ski Week is well known for having peak crowds. So cheap airfare may be your only positive here. But, as everyone keeps saying, no one knows what next Feb. will look like -- it could be a whole new ball game...

You're right. The character interaction is always a big deal to my kids. Also not being able to experience the parades and fireworks would be a big letdown. Unless things change in a big way leading up to February, I'm going to start setting my sights to later in 2021. Like many of you have mentioned, there's just too many unknowns right now.

Sounds like a plan!!!

My daughter got a new Ariel wedding costume yesterday, and she was talking about how she can’t wait to wear it to Disneyland and show Ariel. I started wondering if she’ll even be able to get close enough to Ariel for her to show her.... that to me is going to be the weirdest thing about returning to Disneyland before it’s 💯 normal.

During normal times, February at DLR is not necessarily a low crowd time. At DLR, non-peak/low season ≠ low crowds!
I'm sure I can find this somewhere else on the DIS forums.. but since our family travel schedule is flexible, when would you say is the best time(s) to travel to DLR for first-timers (assuming we get back to "normal times" someday). My son is a huge Nightmare Before Christmas fan (haunted mansion overlay), but I can imagine this is one of the busiest times of year to visit..

I'm sure I can find this somewhere else on the DIS forums.. but since our family travel schedule is flexible, when would you say is the best time(s) to travel to DLR for first-timers (assuming we get back to "normal times" someday). My son is a huge Nightmare Before Christmas fan (haunted mansion overlay), but I can imagine this is one of the busiest times of year to visit..

Taking the pandemic out of the picture, my opinion has always been that JULY is the best month in terms of things being open and crowds being low. If heat is a major issue (although this July has been quite mild so far), my second favorite time is the 2nd week of November through the first 2 weeks of December, excluding Thanksgiving week. Low crowds, beautiful weather, Holiday season in full swing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter